Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well this is no for sale thread so please no one ask me to buy anything when its ready to sell it will be posted in the f/s section!

My question i need help with is, Should i sell my car as a whole turn key 704whp hatch, or should i take the motor out and part it out. the car has all the good go fast parts on it and im going to want around 20k for it! what im wondering is if you guys think i will be able to sell it, I know times are rough in the economy and its impossible to get that in a loan. let me know what you guys think! thank you in advance

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
you'll never get 20k for a civic...

part it out and you may get close

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you'll never get 20k for a civic...

part it out and you may get close
wow thats a pretty bold statement!!!! especially not knowing what kind of civic and what is done to it and what it looks like!! Great post!!!

·
Make soap.
313 Posts
wow thats a pretty bold statement!!!! especially not knowing what kind of civic and what is done to it and what it looks like!! Great post!!!
Slow down there. Im sure he knows what kind of civic you have since your sig says 93 hatch 704whp.
Who has 20k in their bank to buy a k swapped civic? Or do you think a bank will give you a car loan for 20k for a civic thats 16yrs old?
No one is here to bash or attack you. Seems like parting out once you get to a certain stage with your k swap is the best route to go.

·
Registered
148 Posts
You are asking 20 thousand dollars for an almost 20 year old car. I think 95% of the world would not even consider paying that, regardless of the modifications made to it.

But prove me wrong. Id love to see the car though, as you seem to think it is quite the catch. Any pics?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Slow down there. Im sure he knows what kind of civic you have since your sig says 93 hatch 704whp.
Who has 20k in their bank to buy a k swapped civic? Or do you think a bank will give you a car loan for 20k for a civic thats 16yrs old?
No one is here to bash or attack you. Seems like parting out once you get to a certain stage with your k swap is the best route to go.
i agree with what your saying, his statement was you will NEVERget 20k for a civic i have a lot of money and time inversted in this car along with good parts! maybe i wont get 20k for it but i have seen numerous 92-95 civic's sell for over 20k not recently though, and i know you cant get a loan for it thats why i figured a part out will have to do

·
Registered
123 Posts
Here's what is going to hurt you ( this is what they are trying to say): I'll speak for myself as the whole here.

I would love to have a 700whp hatch. I gurantee that thing is going to pull like a mother f*****! However, I would oil myself if I spent 20k on your ride and then had problems mechanically thereafter. That is not an attack at your build skills.

I dont know you as most probably don't. My fear is that since I don't know you then I won't know d it was beat on daily, maintenance kept, etc. Whereas I could spend 20k myself building one and I would know 100% that is hasn't been bet on ad everything is ok.

So it's not that people don't spend that much on hondas. It's that when spendig that much they want an absolute gurantee that sh*ts not messed up. Again, the only gurantee is to do the build yourself.

People will feel much more comfortable spending 700 - a few thousand on a particular used part vs 20k on a bunch of used parts. If a $700 part f's up....no big deal suck it up. But $20k.....that's a total different ball game.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's what is going to hurt you ( this is what they are trying to say): I'll speak for myself as the whole here.

I would love to have a 700whp hatch. I gurantee that thing is going to pull like a mother f*****! However, I would oil myself if I spent 20k on your ride and then had problems mechanically thereafter. That is not an attack at your build skills.

I dont know you as most probably don't. My fear is that since I don't know you then I won't know d it was beat on daily, maintenance kept, etc. Whereas I could spend 20k myself building one and I would know 100% that is hasn't been bet on ad everything is ok.

So it's not that people don't spend that much on hondas. It's that when spendig that much they want an absolute gurantee that sh*ts not messed up. Again, the only gurantee is to do the build yourself.

People will feel much more comfortable spending 700 - a few thousand on a particular used part vs 20k on a bunch of used parts. If a $700 part f's up....no big deal suck it up. But $20k.....that's a total different ball game.

Hope this helps!
I agree 100% however it would cost much more than 20k to have all the stuff im going to be selling! but i would rather do it all myself instead of buying someone elses car b/c you dont know what they did to it, thats why i know it will take a long time to sell the car and believe me i dont care who builds it 700whp breaks shit!!!!!! maybe not the engine but everyone knows these trans dont last forever!!!!! also im not taking these comments negatively i know not everyone would pay that money and i know its ALOT of money however someone who doesnt know how to build it would rather buy a car done than try it there selves and take over a year doing it!

·
Super Moderator
26,616 Posts
Do you have a list of mods you can post?

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I wouldn't offer more than $10k for any civic, with any motor even if it had platinum control arms and a flux capacitor. In all honesty, the more mods, the less I would be willing to pay.

The issue here is when you buy someone elses project, you simply don't know how well it was done, and no one in their right mind will pay that for a car that could potentially blow up due to poor tuning in 2 weeks...

And remember, what you put into it doesn't really matter. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. No bank is going to give someone a loan for a 16yr old $20k civic. So you will need someone with cash...

In other words, you will do *MUCH* better parting the car out.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you have a list of mods you can post?
the list would go on for days, short list would be, 93 hatch 10pt roll cage, w/ chute mount, k-pro, jdm recaros, s2000 cluster, full race fuel sump, aeromotive pump 8-an fuel feed to the reg, k24/k20 fully built, ep3 trans w/ quaife, 2000 gsr front knuckles, willwood 4 piston front brakes, nsx rear brakes, braided brake lines, 15/16 brake master cyl, full race traction bars,etc... this is a engine bay shot from months ago

Part it out, throw a stockish motor in the shell and sell as a complete car.
i thought about this to but a big cage w/ not much motor would be kind of pointless
I wouldn't offer more than $10k for any civic, with any motor even if it had platinum control arms and a flux capacitor. In all honesty, the more mods, the less I would be willing to pay.

The issue here is when you buy someone elses project, you simply don't know how well it was done, and no one in their right mind will pay that for a car that could potentially blow up due to poor tuning in 2 weeks...

And remember, what you put into it doesn't really matter. Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. No bank is going to give someone a loan for a 16yr old $20k civic. So you will need someone with cash...

In other words, you will do *MUCH* better parting the car out.
True no matter what you have if you built it or bought it you have the chance of blowing up, so i understand that but you get what you pay for also, you buy a 10k car w/ a swap and a big turbo kit you will get what you pay for, but im not saying i can sell it for 20k and i know my time isnt worth anything to anyone else but me but however i do think when im ready to sell it i think i would have a good chance on selling it for that much!!!!!! But it would take a while to sell looking for the right person, im prob going to part it out to get decent money for it and to appeal to many more people

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Take it easy turbo... :p

I'm just saying like others have not many people have 20k cash to drop on a civic. And no bank is going to loan that kind of money on a car like that...

I know what you have read your thread a couple times... I like your car

Not saying it's not worth it, I'm just being realistic.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Take it easy turbo... :p

I'm just saying like others have not many people have 20k cash to drop on a civic. And no bank is going to loan that kind of money on a car like that...

I know what you have read your thread a couple times... I like your car

Not saying it's not worth it, I'm just being realistic.
well i know my last few words prob werent chosen wisely, my bad, however i was saying that there are civics out there worth that kind of money you may not think mine which is fine, diff strokes for diff folks, but i have seen a few sell on this site for that much however it has been a while but i have seen them

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
If your willing to wait out the recession I'm sure you'll find someone sooner or later...

It's just a lot of money. I'm sure you put more in to it than that, but people buying hondas usually don't have that kinda cash layin around.

just my 2 cents

Good luck whatever you decided to do

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If your willing to wait out the recession I'm sure you'll find someone sooner or later...

It's just a lot of money. I'm sure you put more in to it than that, but people buying hondas usually don't have that kinda cash layin around.

just my 2 cents

Good luck whatever you decided to do
very true and thank you! i have to many vehicles laying around and the civic i believe is the first on the chopping block, im not sure if i want to wait b/c who knows how long that will before the recession is over

1 - 20 of 37 Posts