Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys I really need your input on my build.. I'm planning to do a k20/k24 all motor build and these are the things I want to do. If you could give me some suggestions on what parts to go with that and what kind of power should i expect from the build that would be great. Here's what I have down so far.

K20/K24 Build:
-Use 88mm Bore on stock sleeves
-Pistons
-Rods
-Full Valvetrain
-Valves
-Cams
Basically the whole thing..

I've been looking at the blueprint stage3 cams and I'm pretty much set on these. What would be the best comp ratio to run on this all motor beast? I was thinking 12.5:1 so if you guys could give me more input that would be great! I've just been undecided. :eek: Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
21,788 Posts
is this going to be on pump gas?? I would not go any higher then 12.5:1 with stock sleeves bored to 88mm on pump gas. 12.5:1 seems to be around the limit for pump.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes this is going to be on pump gas with i guess occasional octane booster.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
blueprint stage 3 work better with more compression than 12.5:1 so with that compression the stage 2 cams would work better

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
fyi...about the blueprint cams, they require/recommend an adjustible exhaust cam gear. i was going to use the stage 2's on mine b/c the rest of my valvetrain is blueprint until i read about that.

not saying that it's a bad thing but if i can get the same results with out it, then it's one let thing i have to worry about breaking.

·
Registered
113 Posts
fyi...about the blueprint cams, they require/recommend an adjustible exhaust cam gear. i was going to use the stage 2's on mine b/c the rest of my valvetrain is blueprint until i read about that.

not saying that it's a bad thing but if i can get the same results with out it, then it's one let thing i have to worry about breaking.
Actually only our pro-series cams require the exhaust cam gear. We do recommend cam gears a lot of times because, as we all know, the more adjustment you have the more opportunity the tuner has to make more power. :)

Okay guys I really need your input on my build.. I'm planning to do a k20/k24 all motor build and these are the things I want to do. If you could give me some suggestions on what parts to go with that and what kind of power should i expect from the build that would be great. Here's what I have down so far.

K20/K24 Build:
-Use 88mm Bore on stock sleeves
-Pistons
-Rods
-Full Valvetrain
-Valves
-Cams
Basically the whole thing..

I've been looking at the blueprint stage3 cams and I'm pretty much set on these. What would be the best comp ratio to run on this all motor beast? I was thinking 12.5:1 so if you guys could give me more input that would be great! I've just been undecided. :eek: Thank you in advance!
I brought up your plans to our engine builder and this is what we came up with as a good recommendation, for what you are looking for.

-K24A4 accord block
-polished and balanced OEM crank
-Wiseco 12.5:1 pistons 87.5mm
-87.5 cause you're not going to really see a substantial gain in hp between 87.5 and 88. 87.5 leaves a little more on the stock sleeves..also has a possibility for repair later on if need be.
-BP K24 i-beam rods - lightest that we offer and a cost effective solution.
-BP springs / retainers.
-BP valves.
-BP Stage three cams

We would also highly recommend the Race Treatment that we offer for the bearings. It reduces friction and increases strength, as well as does not effect the size of the bearings.

Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions please feel free to give us a call and we will be more than happy to help you out.

-Robby

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I brought up your plans to our engine builder and this is what we came up with as a good recommendation, for what you are looking for.
Thanks robby!:up: I talked to Ben today also but forgot to ask him a question.. Will I have piston/valve clearance problem with this setup i'm doing?? I completely forgot about this.. I'm now doing the 87.5mm 12.5:1cr with your valvetrain kit on my k20/k24 build hehe :dance:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thanks robby!:up: I talked to Ben today also but forgot to ask him a question.. Will I have piston/valve clearance problem with this setup i'm doing?? I completely forgot about this.. I'm now doing the 87.5mm 12.5:1cr with your valvetrain kit on my k20/k24 build hehe :dance:
YGM :)

what ever happend to jeff from ib/ blueprint
Jeff currently works at corporate Honda. We support him in his new role over at Honda and wish him the best of luck.

-Robby

·
Registered
113 Posts
so he sold blue print
Jeff was actually a valued part of the team here while he was employed by Blueprint. We are happy for Jeff and support his new career endeavor. We are also very fortunate that he went to work for Honda because now we can get some inside information on future products.

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
yes, 87.5mm would be a good choice.

I am not sure if you already have a core or not but I have started a shortblock k24a program where I supply a complete k24a shortblock with everything needed to attach a
k20a2 head.. (assembled block, oil pan, chain cover, tensioners, chain, crank gear, bolts etc..)

Due to the popularity of this deal, I parterened up with ERL performance which is going to be doing the assembly from now on.

I am currently doing my first 5 block run with 3 blocks sold already. I just picked them up yesterday.

That would be another option for you as well as complete longblocks all the way to assembled motors with new heads, cams etc..

In case you have never heard of ERL performance,

Here's some pics from my personal visit to their facility

First k24a ever made, serial number 0001 was given to ERL by HONDA USA for feedback

Air Sealed Assembly Room - Access limited

Certificated you get with each engine

They have many customers

Drag Cartel as well

They specialize on V8s as well

THis temperature sticker records the highest temp

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks nikos :up: I actually already have a k24a2 block here already but thank you for the offer! I actually was looking at your thread for these blocks and was considering it since it's ready to go but I just couldnt pass up on a deal that a buddy of mine offered so I went ahead and just got the block and bought the internals already!

Am I missing anything else on my build? more info would be much appreciated! thanks in advance guys!! :up::up:

·
Registered
181 Posts
Would like to know as well. :up:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have 88bore stock sleeves with JE 13.7 CR nad REV limiter 9rpm and evryting Is OK
What kind of cams are you running? are you running 13.7cr on a daily?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And also.. I've been reading about a few different oil pump setups for this k20/k24 build.. What should I use? I know I want to use a k20 oil pump but some people are going with a modified k20 oil pump from hytech.. Is that really worth it? and to use the k20 oil pump i need the k20 oil pump chain guide, K20 oil pump chain tensioner, K20 oil pump chain correct? i just really want to make sure..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts