Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, i’m on the final stretch of my build, an egk24.
I’m using a 1320 perf 3’ exhaust and instead of the cat i want run a muffler, any advice on which model use? I need it to be the quietest possible
thanks

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
3” and quiet :)
What about a Varex system that you can turn quieter with a switch or even ECU control?
I did exhaust flap designs myself. The valve would block the main path and the gases neede to take a 1” ID bypass into the muffler. ECU controlled by rpm and load. worked well and made the car rather quiet at lower rpm and loads.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
On my turbo K24 I have a full 3", no cat, Vibrant ultra quiet resonator, and a Vibrant street performance muffler. Very tame while cruising. I have no complaints. I'm sure the turbo is helping to quiet it down, N/A would be louder.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,101 Posts
I will be running a race header w/ megaphone, 3", no cat, Vibrant ultra quiet resonator, and Vibrant street stealth muffler. All are straight-thru components. Because I am NA. I may need to add an additional resonator. Vibrant parts sound classy. I will be using the excuse someone stole my cat and I had to jimmy-rig it at home officer until I can replace it.

·
Super Moderator
699 Posts
I debated adding in a second resonator but I just don't have the space. Saving room in the exhaust tunnel for a driveshaft so the original resonator location is all I had available. It's a touch too loud on a cold start for my liking but is otherwise okay.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,101 Posts
I debated adding in a second resonator but I just don't have the space. Saving room in the exhaust tunnel for a driveshaft so the original resonator location is all I had available. It's a touch too loud on a cold start for my liking but is otherwise okay.
Getting a 2nd resonator may be a smart idea for me too.

·
Registered
2004 CM7 Accord - K24A4 - 5 Speed Manual
71 Posts
On my turbo K24 I have a full 3", no cat, Vibrant ultra quiet resonator, and a Vibrant street performance muffler. Very tame while cruising. I have no complaints. I'm sure the turbo is helping to quiet it down, N/A would be louder.
do you have any video of the system in action? this is the exact setup I want to run and I would like some good reference points as for sound

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got a 3 inch collector, 3 inch Vibrant Ultra Quiet Resonator, and a Borla muffler with 3 inch in/ dual 2.5 inch out. It's very quiet and sounds great. Even at the track, hammering it, it's not too loud. This is on an MR2 Spyder with K24. I've run at Lime Rock and don't exceed their sound limit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
3” and quiet :)
What about a Varex system that you can turn quieter with a switch or even ECU control?
I did exhaust flap designs myself. The valve would block the main path and the gases neede to take a 1” ID bypass into the muffler. ECU controlled by rpm and load. worked well and made the car rather quiet at lower rpm and loads.
That’s a cool idea!

I opted for this silencer, it’s made by Turbozentrum,it’s long 250mm with 76mm internal.
The 1320perfomance exhaust come with a pretty big resonautor which leaves very little room to add a good sized muffler.
Drinkware Drink Audio equipment Automotive tire Gas

Automotive tire Fluid Rim Musical instrument Gas

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
9,174 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,101 Posts
We had this topic the last week in 4 threads. Seems to be it is of an increasing interest. I will move this to the General K-series related talk | Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum and create there a sub forum for exhaust silencer techniques, threads and information.
I do like how Vibrant's products are a reoccuring theme. I love the sound they produce and my past two exhausts have been complete Vibrant components even down to using SS flanges (non-V-bands). My next exhaust on the DC5 will be the same with all V-bands. On this next one I will be using a megaphone, I am expecting it to be louder & considering an additional in-line resonator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts