Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I'm done being Mr. Nice guy with these idiots. Their products just suck for K series. I think the higher torque from the K challenges the poorly engineered clutches they slop out. Here's my history:
1. Xtreme PP + full clutch:
1000 miles, blew out slave cylinder from excessive release pressure, replaced hydraulics, 800 miles later clutch started slipping, fried.
ACT then offered me a replacement PP, said they were re-designing it due to many hydraulic failures, offered me a deal on a heavy duty PP & new full disk.
2. Heavy Duty PP + Full Disk
900 miles in my car, OK, lent to someone while my car was down (BTW, this was a N/A car!!), 1200 miles later, clutch fried.
3. Xtreme PP + 6 puck
When my car was finished I had recived my replacement, re-designed PP (for #1), 200 miles later pressure plate totally failed, clutch was also fried. Now getting run around from ACT, claiming it was downshifted too hard.

More than enough for a Tilton spent, for NOTHING (< 3K total miles, + 3 tows home). Never again will my car have a ACT product installed, hopefully you will learn from my (repeated) mistakes and not do business with these clowns. :down: :down:

Edited to add pics!!

The pressure plate (Note broken straps):

Broken strap detail #1

Broken strap detail #2

Clutch disk:

Other side:

Damage detail:

And all this is the so called "Xtreme" setup, yea buddy, "Xtremely Shitty!!"

Attachments

· Registered
919 Posts
They did have problems with the extreme pressure plate, I remember actman admitting to that on crsx... I bought a full face clutch, which turned out to be an exedy with beefier springs... guess what: the plate could not handle the springs and cracked at the carrier. I had the tranny off for other reasons and caught it (spring would have fallen out within 100 miles). I have read a number of people with their clutch where the springs fall out: shitty design = shitty product = upside down smiles from consumers

· Premium Member
28,004 Posts
Ouch..... Glad I went with my Tilton... Sorry to hear that man..:(

· Registered
1,096 Posts
is this just with k series b/c I have act in my b series drag car and have never had a problem with it at all and have friends with act clutches/flywheels and never had any problems. I was planning on doing act in my k series also but if this is legit I will be going other ways probably. what is the best clutch for k series built motor that is dragged ocasionally?

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bads2k said:
is this just with k series b/c I have act in my b series drag car and have never had a problem with it at all and have friends with act clutches/flywheels and never had any problems. I was planning on doing act in my k series also but if this is legit I will be going other ways probably. what is the best clutch for k series built motor that is dragged ocasionally?
I can't personally speak for the performance of the 'B' series product, I suspect that the 'B' has been around long enough that through "trial and error" they might have a better product (I prefer a product ENGINEERED properly in the first place). Lots of other options, Clutchmasters & Exedy seem to get good reviews, for my car though I went with the CLutchmasters FX700.

· Registered
790 Posts
Yep, I had an ACT clutch too, then the springs started coming out of the hubs. Between that and all the stories I have heard from a bunch of other sources about problems with ACT clutches on K-series motors I went with Exedy and have been happy with them so far.

· Registered
919 Posts
eek20 said:
uh-oh, white chocolate doesnt have an ACT does it? :confused:
custom kevlar coppor 6 puck clutch and act heavy duty pressure plate (heavy duty never had issues I have read about, unlike the extreme version)

· Banned
3,906 Posts
Oside Jimc said:
I can't personally speak for the performance of the 'B' series product, I suspect that the 'B' has been around long enough that through "trial and error" they might have a better product (I prefer a product ENGINEERED properly in the first place). Lots of other options, Clutchmasters & Exedy seem to get good reviews, for my car though I went with the CLutchmasters FX700.
Did you already get the fx700? How is that holding up for you
kris

· Registered
2,535 Posts
I installed a ACT HDSS and it never disengaged fully, the disc was manufactured wrong and was very thick on just 1/4" of the outside edge of the disc,,,POS

The shop my buddy owns has seen at least a dozen typeS's and Si's with ACT clutchs come in with problems, and every single one had thrust bearing problems after they had ACT clutchs installed.

If you want problems buy ACT !!!

I went with a CENTERFORCE DF ball bearing clutch and love it! I would recommend it to anyone!

doug

· Registered
695 Posts
long before i even had the k-swap on mind one of my buddies had an rsx and replaced the stock clutch with an ACT(cant remember the stage) flywheel and everything. To make a long story short his tranny got f**ked up, we guess it was mainlyy caused because at high rpms there was no way of shifting into the next gear, it was as if it was blocking the gears or somthing.

Thats why my choice has always been Exedy, if its good enough for all the jd, cars including the stress of the drift cars, why wouldnt it be good enought for my k-swap motor, right?

chino

· Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
suprfast said:
Did you already get the fx700? How is that holding up for you
kris
Oh yea, it KICKS ASS (so far), about 250 miles to break it in, and several passes on the strip, of course time will tell. But great grip, smooooooth shifting :up: :up:

· Registered
531 Posts
my friends rsx the PP wouldnt disengage at anything above 7500 rpm and it caused him to mess up 2nd and 3rd gear synchros, and recently just caused his clutch master to take a shit.

HORRIBLE PRODUCTS:down: :mad:
Yes it did. The ACT clutch i had in there acutally sheared the head off of a bolt on the clutch master cylinder. I will have pics up ASAP. I will never deal with ACT after this incident and ruining my tranny. I'm all for Competition now, those guys are awsome over there. In addition there clutches are awsome as well. I always wondered why ACT never made a multi disc?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts