Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 type s, the motor is fully built, have to go back in it and redo it...Anyways, since I will only be drivng the car once in a blue moon on the streets, I was debating removing the ac, and poping the dash off and gutting it. Has anyone done this, they know what the weight gain is, how much hp average for people do they truely gain from this, not guesses, I can guess all day long, lol. I mean, I can guess 3-5whp but is it really, to me that aint worth it, specially if the gain is only 10-12lbs. If weight saving is around 20-30lbs or more, I see worth it regardless of hp gains. Input please?

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
The only gain is weight savings. The a/c compressor has a clutch so it doesn't really consume any hp when its not in use.

As for the weight savings. The compressor is the only really heavy item at about 17-18lbs or so. There really isn't any hp gain associated with weight loss. If you want to know the performance difference remove your spare tire, jack and floor mats, then go for a drive. That will give you a rough approximation of the difference when removing a/c.

In other words, if you drive this car on the street, its not worth the trouble.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies...Yeah that is why I havent removed it yet. I weigh right at 2600lbs currently, nothing from behind me that is removable is in the car, and no passenger seat, I need to find a kirky seat or something about as light for the driver seat to lose that weight. I have picked up 2 tenths by removing all that, which is about 130-150lbs roughly that I have removed total from my car, so yeah 20lbs and 3-4hrs of trouble prob aint worth that extra .00000000000001 second, specially here in Arkansas, finals are separated by 3-4tenths not thousanths of seconds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts