Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

A3 cam crowns on an a2 head?

990 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  NickZED 
#1 ·
Ok,

I was talking with a friend about my options. I got an awesome deal on an A2 head but it didn't come with the cam crowns. I wanted to see some input on the options I have.

Get new cam crowns? Reuse the crowns from my A3 engine? Or do I have other options I am just not seeing? (And apparently Acura doesn't sell the crowns seperately, so I can't just pick them up.)

Any ideas/suggestions would help me immensely.

Thanks,

KmR

#4 ·
rsxmachine said:
if you're talking just the cam caps and not anything from the lower rocker arm assembly, I'm gonna guess they are the same.
edo please step in if I am wrong, but I thought the cam caps were broken off of the lower part, the cam holder, similar to rods....? So it may not be a perfect fit, I esteem it would be best to reuse the cam holders, rocker arm bar holders and everything from one car, beit the a3 or a2, I iamage the two are interchangeable

#5 ·
sf-si-02 said:
edo please step in if I am wrong, but I thought the cam caps were broken off of the lower part, the cam holder, similar to rods....? So it may not be a perfect fit, I esteem it would be best to reuse the cam holders, rocker arm bar holders and everything from one car, beit the a3 or a2, I iamage the two are interchangeable

not to get too far off topic but are you by any chance drunk right now?

#6 ·
Affiliatedx3 said:
not to get too far off topic but are you by any chance drunk right now?
No, I type too fast, I have a thinkpad with 512 ram, and it can;t keep up with my typing... what I was trying to say was that if you look at the rods, edo mentioned that some parts are broken apart, i.e. the rod is built as a single piece, and then they break away the lower half, and then the lower half is bolted to the top half... I THINK it may be similar wiht the cam crowns, i.e. they may be intimately related to the part they bolt on to, the part holding the underside of the cams... I don;t drink during the week, at least not alone :p

#8 ·
there's a way in the Helms to check the journal clearances to see if everything matches up ok. or like he said you may be able to reuse the upper and lower halves of the A3 camshaft holders and transfer over the Type-S rocker arms and rocker shafts (I think the oil feed holes in the shafts are different). but you have to be very meticulous in putting the whole assembly back together.

#9 ·
why do you say to be meticulous? I ask because I haven;t been all that careful, and now you have me worried that I may have messed it up... my intuition was that people putting aftermarket cams in don;t replace the cam holders and cam crowns, so I should be ok if I am staying all stock valve train... what could go worng and what I should I look out for?

#10 ·
I just meant that since the type-s rockers have a lot of springs and other parts to them, if you were to take them apart to transfer them to another set of cam holders/caps then you have to be real sure it's all put back together correctly.

#11 ·
im pretty sure its the exact same part... i took the ones off my K24 A4 and put it into my K20A2 head, because i was in a similar situation.

the motor is built but its not running, everything seems fine, though.

HOWEVER. there is a reason that they are not sold seperately, and that reason is probably because the final hone on the cam holders and caps is what you would call an "align hone" as in, its all assembled into the head it goes with and then honed whiled assembled to make sure the holes line up perfectly straight given the imperfections of the head.

i say try your K20A3 ones, but make sure you plastigauge or check for straightness before bolting everything down for good. (although im sure it will be fine)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.