Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just recently got into the Kseries scene and enjoy it very much. But im running into what can possible be very minor problems, but due to my lack of experience with the new platform, I find myself clueless. Here's what I'm dealing with. (a quick FYI, I bought this car from a Buddy of mines)

I own a 03 civic dx 4 door. here are the following mods that I know of
K20a2 complete swap on hasports, down to the harness and ecu.
Rsx dashboard,steering wheel, and seats.
05 front and rear conversion
5 lug conversion from an rsx type s
dc sport headers to a 2.5 inch piping to a 09 cvic si tip.
D2 suspension.

here are some of my issues. I repeat Im still learning about these newer civics and im completely new to the k series.

1. car when 1st bought had a cel for knock sensor and map sensor. I believe my friend told me that he messed up the original rsx map sensor and was using the old 03 civic map sensor as a temp. I quickly changed the knock sensor(wich for some reason had a base knock sensor and not a type s one) and replaced the map sensor for a new oem type s sensor. the CELs where gone, but I was still experience Bogging on full throttle. as soon a the car was cooled of, the cel went back on, this time for a map sensor.

Some symptoms i receive with performance are:
*bogging on full throttle until it hits higher rpms,(i will get exact bogging points as soon as i step out)
*If I turn on the car, and try to take off the second i turn it on, warm or cold, it feels like its going to die out, I have to wait about a least a minute.
*It had a little misfire, but I believe it was due to very old spark plugs wich I changed 2 days ago, and it pretty much went away.

2.Heres something i can usually fix myself, but for me gets confusing becuase the conversion from the rsx dash to the es1. My headlights. They dont work the way they ought to.

Here are the symptoms:
*On the amber light setting(1st turn of the knob)- on the passenger side i get the city light through the highbeam bulb. nothing else is on. driver side i get City light through the highbeam bulb, headlights on, and corner light on

*on regular settings(2nd turn of the knob)- all lights work like the ought to, headlights on both side are on, both corner lights are on, and highbeams are off even on the low light(city lights)

*on regular settings with highbeams(2nd turn with a push forward of the knob) again everything works as it should, all lights are on.

here is where it gets weirder. If i leave my ambers on(1st turn of the knob) and turn on the highbeams, the pass. side shuts off completely and the driver side is completely on.

Its obvious there something funky going on with the harness, but I dont know where to begin, I dont have a diagram or clue.

And last, this should be easy, the ecu for my car is just hanging under the glove compartment. now I know that the rsx dash has these bolts under the glove box, but I dont have it on mines, I think due to the dash swap, and space is very limited due to the heater motor leaving no space to tuck the harness. Is there anyone here with the same set-up that can tell me what they did with there ecu?

I know this is A lot but these are the only problems I have, and I would like to get fixed before the summer really begins. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I ran the car, and it deffinatley bogs when under full throttle, doesn't matter the range of rpms. Also car revs high when cold, around 2k maybe 500 more.

·
USDM > *
4,857 Posts
Pick up a Haynes or Helms manual locally or on the web...they have a full wiring diagram in the back. Too many unanswered questions (did they use an 02-04 RSX-S engine harness?, do yo have a proper conversion harness?, do you have the correct dash harness?). Unfortunately somebody did a shotty job on the wiring:down:

As far as the engine woes, it sound like it needs a proper tune. You didn't mention the most important part, does the car have Kpro? I'm assuming you had a chance to test drive the car before you bought it:confused:

Hopefully whoever performed the swap didn't take a bunch of short cuts (like the wiring harness) but that is the gamble you take when buying a swapped car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pick up a Haynes or Helms manual locally or on the web...they have a full wiring diagram in the back. Too many unanswered questions (did they use an 02-04 RSX-S engine harness?, do yo have a proper conversion harness?, do you have the correct dash harness?). Unfortunately somebody did a shotty job on the wiring:down:

As far as the engine woes, it sound like it needs a proper tune. You didn't mention the most important part, does the car have Kpro? I'm assuming you had a chance to test drive the car before you bought it:confused:

Hopefully whoever performed the swap didn't take a bunch of short cuts (like the wiring harness) but that is the gamble you take when buying a swapped car.
I was aware of the issues yes before the purchase of the car, from what the prev. Owner told me, he did say that the whole swap was taken out of the rsx-s including the wiring harness. As far as the dash, my understanding is that it is the rsx dash harness, I will have to double check. And for the most important question on kpro, no, its not running a kpro. The previous owner mentioned that if he where me he would change the whole throttle body. Could a tps sensor cause these problems without shooting out a light? The only light I have is for a map, though it was replaced brandnew. The guy who did the swap from what I hear is good at doing them, he's actually a member on this site and leader of the ksquad on the eastern division, from what he told me that is. Thanks for your response. Hopefully I can get more info, and about the helms I will be ordering one off ebay, they don't carry any at my local autozone or caps.

·
USDM > *
4,857 Posts
I would concentrate on getting a proper engine management system (Kpro, AEM) before replacing individual sensors. Maybe somebody else here will guide you differently.

You have quite a number of issues. I would start with an EMS, and then get a conversion harness and the correct dash harness for your chassis. That may fix your electrical woes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would concentrate on getting a proper engine management system (Kpro, AEM) before replacing individual sensors. Maybe somebody else here will guide you differently.

You have quite a number of issues. I would start with an EMS, and then get a conversion harness and the correct dash harness for your chassis. That may fix your electrical woes.
Tell me about it bro. But hey, it is a never ending project these cars. I was deciding on getting a kpro installed and street tuned for I believe to be a reasonable price(actually about the same as anywhere else you go). But I can also see if anyone here is selling one for cheaper and then go for a street tune at a local shop. I don't have as much money as I wanted to throw at the car, so its going to take a while and patience. I do agree with a EMS, but do you think that regardless a straight swapped K should bog out at full throttle? wouldnt I want to try and clear the c.e.l before spending around 1k on a EMS? thanks for your direction

·
USDM > *
4,857 Posts
You basically have two separate issues, electrical and mechanical.

The electrical issues could potentially be cleared up by getting new/legit harnesses (otherwise you're gonna have to deloom the lighting).

The engine issues I'm not so certain about, so I won't continue to offer suggestions:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You basically have two separate issues, electrical and mechanical.

The electrical issues could potentially be cleared up by getting new/legit harnesses (otherwise you're gonna have to deloom the lighting).

The engine issues I'm not so certain about, so I won't continue to offer suggestions:eek:
I have thought about kpro and it will be in for future mods. But if I can get the car running right before hand I will be much more happier. The prev. Owner kept mentioning that he wanted to change the throttle body. I'm just wondering if there's a way to test a tps sensor, and see how it functions on different points of throttle. Maybe its not colaberated. I've disconnected it to see if anything happens and the idle jumped up, so it is working, but is it working right? I wouldn't know. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
i just got a throttle body from a cr-v. After much work, i realized that even though it bolted on, it didnt allow for the hoses to clear, and would cause a block in coolant flow. So now, im going to have to just swap out all the sensors and keep my fingers crossed. hopefully on a side note ill have someone with kpro let me test it out on my car and see if that makes a difference.

Also, as for the headlights, i realized that the side that was out wasnt actually out, it was super low and dim, I think theres a short somewhere. A NEW QUESTION is, did the em2/es1 come oem with city lights where the highbeam lights are. or is it only the rsx that do that. this will help me determine if the harness for the headlights are the original es1's or the rsx's.
thanks guys

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a 03 civic lx sedan and it doesn't have city lights so they were put on after the fact. I'm not expert but it sounds like a tuning issue. Also I'm assuming that he used a PRB (type s) ECU and bought an aftermarket immobilizer bypass chip such as k-tuned in order to get the stock ecu to work. I agree with Brian that a kpro or standalone unit would help the problem. As far as the headlight issue it sounds like a short somewhere along the line but you stated that already... Good luck with getting the issues fixed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 03 civic lx sedan and it doesn't have city lights so they were put on after the fact. I'm not expert but it sounds like a tuning issue. Also I'm assuming that he used a PRB (type s) ECU and bought an aftermarket immobilizer bypass chip such as k-tuned in order to get the stock ecu to work. I agree with Brian that a kpro or standalone unit would help the problem. As far as the headlight issue it sounds like a short somewhere along the line but you stated that already... Good luck with getting the issues fixed.
Thanks guys, I haven't thought about the fact that he had to do that to the ecu to get it to work. I will look into a kpro. What other options do I have.? One of my friends told me he can get me a type r ecu. But wouldn't I still need to do the same thing to the type s ecu. Is it called having its keys flashed? Sorry I'm really new to kseries so I'm pretty much clueless.

·
IMAKEBOOSTATIDLE
6,914 Posts
no a type r ecu doesnt have the fuel pump relay i believe

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well with kpro you just turn off or disable the immobilizer and don't have to get the key reflashed at the dealer
I figured, but since I can get the type r ecu for a price much lower than kpro, can this fix the problem? I know the answer is not definite. But, do you have to reflash the type r ecu? And what exactly is flashing a ecu?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts