Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is on my 98 EJ6 Civic hatch with Hondata KPRO running the K24.
I was rerouting the O2 (only has upstream) sensor connector and the pins pulled out of the connector.
Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram Brand

Using Honda's info for a 2004 Acura TSX, these are the 4 wires I have coming from the O2 sensor.
White, Blue, and 2 Black.

However, the wiring on the KPRO side does not match the factory wire colors.
Apparently, I did not get the wires correct and the engine revs went up to 3k, and stayed there even after the time it would do a cold start.

Can anyone confirm which wire connections are correct?

· Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
10,112 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am unsure. I bought this car with everything it has currently set up.

The ECU side has:
Red/White stripe, Green/Blue stripe,
Yellow/Black stripe, Black/Orange stripe.
As viewed from the wire side (back) of the connector that leads to the ECU.

None of the publications from Hondata show these wire colors, so I'm at a loss.

· Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
10,112 Posts

· Registered
Lotus Elise K20A2
1,532 Posts
it is important to use the correct sensor for the specific ECU you are using. Honda did not use the same sensor across all wideband platforms. The wire colors will be documented in the service manual of the ECU’s car.
A faulty lambda will not cause a 3000 rpm idle. This is more of an indication of an intake air leak and/or stuck IACV.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it is important to use the correct sensor for the specific ECU you are using. Honda did not use the same sensor across all wideband platforms. The wire colors will be documented in the service manual of the ECU’s car.
A faulty lambda will not cause a 3000 rpm idle. This is more of an indication of an intake air leak and/or stuck IACV.
The high idle was caused by a improperly routed throttle cable. Oof!
Silly, but I always like to follow up on these sorts of issues.

This brings up a good question, how do I know which O2 sensor to use?
The engine is a K24 from a 2004-2006 Acura TSX.
Common parts stores show Denso and Bosch sensors with the same connector and wiring (2 Black, 1 Blue, 1 White) as my setup already has.
Would this be correct? A 4-wire O2?

· Registered
Lotus Elise K20A2
1,532 Posts
there is a sticker with a code on the ECU. We need the 3 letter code to be sure.
If equipped with a Hondata board, it can also only run on the primary lambda only, but needs to be configured for this in the map to avoid error codes.

Sticker looks like this:

Rectangle Font Gas Auto part Bumper

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Looks like I have a PRB board.
The Denso O2 that is currently on the car comes up as a primary wideband sensor with parts info.

This brings up another question. What are the Red and Black wires used for? Those are plugged into the board and come out of the case to a connector that is currently not plugged into anything.

Attachments

· Registered
Lotus Elise K20A2
1,532 Posts

so it can be plugged into the additional inputs on the board. It could either be a VR (variable reluctance) speed sensor or can be used on the 4-pin row as an additional analog 0-5V input.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts