Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Marshall and I am pretty new to these forums. Been buying stuff from people one here mostly and not posting anywhere else. Now I figured it was time to post about my build. I am planning on building a k24a2 bottom with a k20z1 top frank swap. I got the k24a2 for dirt cheap from a guy who was moving and needed to sell it. He worked for Acura so I got some extra goodies on the deal :) Anyway the car is a 91 Integra GS. I have removed just about EVERYTHING from to car to give it a good cleaning and to remove everything I wont need or want in the car. I plan on getting it painted then putting it back together. Wont be running A/C or power steering. This is a street car but not a daily driver as you will see in the pics I got cars to drive. If you wanna be a hater go for it I really don't care what you think :) Let me hear your thoughts if you wanna share. I know DA swaps are becoming more common now but I been planning this for a long time but have not had time or money due to owning a house, married, and 1 kid :/ Oh well here it is.

Block:
04 TSX Complete Block
APR Head Studs (Thanks miami_em2)
K20 Oil Pump (Thanks flaco0018)
K20 Oil Cooler (Thanks flaco0018)
K20 baffle

Head:
K20Z1 (Thanks 88K24Crx)
SuperTech Black Nitride valves (Thanks 88K24Crx)
OEM RDX Injectors (Thanks miami_em2)
The rest is stock (for now)

Tranny:
'04 6 Speed Trans and cables(Thanks louis freeny)

Misc:
Hasport Mount Kit (Thanks Hasport :))

Car:
Black 91 Integra GS (Thanks guy down the road :))
89 Civic manual steering rack (Thanks junk yard)

Needed:
Crower BC6042 Rods
K24A2 senors (Need a few but to lazy to list them lol)
K20A2 Engine and Charge Harness
K20A2 Oil Pan
K20A2 Water Pump
Rywire K swap Harness
Traction Bar
PRB KPRO ECU
Shifter Box
Front windshield. Was perfect when I got the car but a lame ass hail storm cracked it pretty bad :(
Exhaust from mani to tail. Going 3" so I guess it will be custom.

More stuff that I cant think of right now.

Pics:

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
Thats a long road youre starting down. Good luck with the build! Lucky for you hasport just released the mount kit for the DA so you wont have to deal with innovative:up: If you have any da swap specific questions silchuki and i are more than qualified to answer:cool:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a long road youre starting down. Good luck with the build! Lucky for you hasport just released the mount kit for the DA so you wont have to deal with innovative:up: If you have any da swap specific questions silchuki and i are more than qualified to answer:cool:
Yeah I know. I been on the phone with hasport weekly about the mounts so I feel like I have something to do with them releasing them :) They still don't list them on their site yet though even though the guy said it would be updated this weekend. Slackers!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Damn, I just ordered the Innovative mounts. I would have prefered the Hasport mounts.

Anyhow, good luck with the build, it'll motivate me to start my one.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, I just ordered the Innovative mounts. I would have prefered the Hasport mounts.

Anyhow, good luck with the build, it'll motivate me to start my one.
Yeah I waited it out for the hasport mounts. Their design is a lot better to. You can see pics over here http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81597 I cant to get this done. The more I work on it the more I wanna finish it. I don't wanna get ahead of my self even though I just wanna throw in my motor now and its not even near completion lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I waited it out for the hasport mounts. Their design is a lot better to. You can see pics over here http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81597 I cant to get this done. The more I work on it the more I wanna finish it. I don't wanna get ahead of my self even though I just wanna throw in my motor now and its not even near completion lol.
I don't know. Other than the rear mount by hasport I think I would prefer the innovative mounts.

Reason being:
RHS mount on the hasport kit doesn't look like it sits right up against the chassis.

LHS mount is also 2 piece, attached with a single bolt? (Look like it might be two, but bottom attachment has 2 holes drilled, top part of mount only has one). Implications of this would be due to positioning of the bolt, all the forces due to engine movement will be transferred across the bolt as a bending force. Also, the longitudinal forces acting on the bolt (due to braking/accelerating, though would be little due to other constraints on the system) may cause the bolt to fail in shear. I trust hasport have done their ultimate limit state calculations on the strength of these parts though. That bolt still looks like it may be susceptible to premature failure as a result of fatigue due to a combination of shear and bending forces.

I rather like the single LHS mount design by innovative. It looks simple and light. It is also much easier to do an accurate CAD/CAM analysis on a single part, than an assembly of parts.

Love the rear mount by hasport.

If the function and use of the hasport mounts can be proven through testing, I would probably opt for them. Love the bling look of the billet machined mounts :silly:

Otherwise, if you already have the innovative mounts I wouldn't worry about it too much. Proven product which will probably save you a few kg here and there from its simple and light design and its cheaper.

Do you reckon you can weigh the hasport mounts when you get them Phantisy? Would be nice to get a kg vs kg comparism of both mount kits.

Oh, and also can you clarify what the RHS mount looks like. Is that a solid block which makes up the web of the mount. It would make sense if it were. It would make it stronger, and the machined hole to reduce its weight, but I can't seem to figure out how that would be attached to the folded plate.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I’m pretty sure the lhs mount of the hasport kit has a threaded hole underneath...only makes sense but its speculation so someone would have to ask. As for the one piece innovative tranny mount... it plain sucks. They set it up so the motor comes out the top...very annoying to work with.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m pretty sure the lhs mount of the hasport kit has a threaded hole underneath...only makes sense but its speculation so someone would have to ask. As for the one piece innovative tranny mount... it plain sucks. They set it up so the motor comes out the top...very annoying to work with.
Good stuff to know. Hopefully the hasport is 10 times better then :) They supposedly make the best but this is my first buy from them so ill see.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do have a question for you though. Can I take out the engine wire harness that is in the car now (I know its a pain in the ass) and not lose anything related to the internet gauges or should I leave in for the rywire swap cabin harness?

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I do have a question for you though. Can I take out the engine wire harness that is in the car now (I know its a pain in the ass) and not lose anything related to the internet gauges or should I leave in for the rywire swap cabin harness?
Best bet is to call rywire with that question. :up: Wouldnt want to lead you in the wrong direction...

·
Registered
33 Posts
sweet. another da build. i should start a thread for mine. im using innovative mounts, rcrew header, so far i have ktuned shifter plate, ktuned immobilizer bypass, and ktuned ac ps delete kit. motor is in just need to finish little stuff. hope to see yours make it to the end

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah mine will make it to the end weather it take 6 months or a few years. I have most of what I need now. Ran out of money so its going to be a while before I can finish but if I can sell my spare parts soon then it wont be that long. I hope :)

·
Banned
216 Posts
We are gonna have to get all these DA's together one day when finished and compare in person I think there is going to be a few now. When I started my project I only knew of sil, Abs, an hasport having them. It'll be tight to see all of them done I love the body style so much. Have fun and I think it will be a bit longer then 6 months build time. Just a lil FYI.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We are gonna have to get all these DA's together one day when finished and compare in person I think there is going to be a few now. When I started my project I only knew of sil, Abs, an hasport having them. It'll be tight to see all of them done I love the body style so much. Have fun and I think it will be a bit longer then 6 months build time. Just a lil FYI.
I could have it done in 3 months if I wanted. I just ran out of money. I have already invested a little over 5 months in this. Only major parts I need are the KPRO PRB ECU, Crower rods, and rywire harness and the machine work done. The rest is little shit but still needed. I need to find a way to make the money to finish. I am going to say I will have this done next spring or summer so until then I will get what I can done when the money is in.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seems to be comin along good, a little on the long stretch for time but i know its killin you to get done, im in the process of saving up for the k-24-20 so i can do it all in at once and be ridin out. Im workin hard as hell to be able to enter it in this years hin-nopi in atl. Hope it all comes together for ya

·
Registered
33 Posts
i pulled my harness that runs through the firewall to the fuse block and shock tower plugs inside and left it tucked up in the dash, mounted the fuse block on the firewall inside under the heater unit. also on your fire wall underneath where the cruise control throttle cable runs in the wall, there is a rubber plug about 1.5 inch in diameter, once the motor is in its almost straight back from where the k harness runs off the side of the block where the tranny mounts. its a nice alternative instead of running it accross the firewall to bring it in in the corner near the shock tower. its a tight fit but i got all 3 of the plugs on the end of the k harness through, i started with the big on first. if you have a dremal you can enlarge the hole a littler bit. once its through that hole the thinkness of the harness fills the hole so its a clean tight fit(if you would like i can take a picture for you) . then u can run it over to your ecu on the inside of the firewall. i used the hybrid racing universal race harness. i hooked up 4 wires and had the car started. every wire is labled and tells you where to run them for your tach, cel light, oil pressure light, and speedo (i know das have a cable speedo but im using a rsx cluster), it also has the obdII diagnostic port wired in and the primary o2 wired in for you already. its a nice harness to use for a da and every wire u need to hook up is labled. if you got any other questions feel free to ask, my swap is just about wrapped up now. also you are goin to need to modify your front crossmember or get a traction bar.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts