Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. I just wanted to share with you all my Turbo build. So, I decided to use a K24A long block for this build and contacted [email protected] Print for sleeving. After talking to him, I sent down my block to them to see if they could work some magic. It took a week to get the block down there from Canada, lol... And as promised the block was back to me in 3 weeks! Fully sleeved and built. Customer service from these guys are utmost :up:

Got the block back and opened the box, like it was an early Christmas! Lol... But prior to the build I had Mr. James Innes of IPG Parts send Jeff some gangsta Manley Turbo Tuff Rods and their pistons as well. I'm running 9:1 on this set up.

Head was sent off to Jeremy at Inlinepro:up: We used Iconel valves on the exhaust side and your standard Supertech on the exhaust as well as spings/retainers.

Here are some progress pics of the build:

HOLY look at those sleeves!!!

Modified S2k pump

Keep you guys updated as the build progesses!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Franklin, Are putting this together for your race car? I thought you planned on running in the All Motor class?
Hey, Mike how's it going? Yeah, this motor is for my new baby! The All motor thing died years ago when I had too many engine failures, lol... This new one is a Turbo Street class car.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got my cams gears, Skunk2 baby! These things are crazy... All of my customers/friends are on these and make ton's of power over thier previous set ups. STG II Pro All Motor cams. Bought these cams through Roland @ MB Racing :up:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Finally got my cams gears, Skunk2 baby! These things are crazy... All of my customers/friends are on these and make ton's of power over thier previous set ups. STG II Pro All Motor cams. Bought these cams through Roland @ MB Racing :up:

Nice stuff man but Im sorry to hear you went with the junk2 cams. Sad to see such a motor go. I would have went BC stage 2 personally.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Solutions have been found no?

He'll be fine.
Not really I would call it a band-aid. People have snapped timing chains by modding their tensioners as well. Skunk2 was trying to make a tensioner but nothing materialized. Last I heard they were redesigning the cams but not sure how true the redesigning part is.

·
Banned
15,812 Posts
If you look in the pics, he is locking the VTC angle by using a fixed cam gear. I don't think that is the best thing to do anyway

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice stuff man but Im sorry to hear you went with the junk2 cams. Sad to see such a motor go. I would have went BC stage 2 personally.
Fernando @ CFT is using the same cams that I'm using. Both on the B-series and K-series Hot Rod car.

Companies sometimes have problems, but as long as they're willing to service/repair and help. I don't see the problem, things happen in manufacturing, it would be a lie if someone said that there is a "perfect" line out there. Skunk2 :up: That's why they've been around for over 10 years.

If you look in the pics, he is locking the VTC angle by using a fixed cam gear. I don't think that is the best thing to do anyway
Nikos, why is not the best thing to do?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Fernando @ CFT is using the same cams that I'm using. Both on the B-series and K-series Hot Rod car.

Companies sometimes have problems, but as long as they're willing to service/repair and help. I don't see the problem, things happen in manufacturing, it would be a lie if someone said that there is a "perfect" line out there. Skunk2 :up: That's why they've been around for over 10 years.

B-series cams have no issues what so ever. If Fernando is using the k-series cams in any car I bet you money he checks that tensioner religiously. Then again VERY few people have actually not had one single issue. I stress the very part.

I completely agree with your second statement. Nothing is ever perfect especially things that are mass produced. The biggest problem I have with skunk2 is that they asked a friend of mine to test their all motor cams on his turbo setup. Sure it made power but only to have the tensioner fail within 500 miles and trash the motor and turbo. He contacted Tony and he was willing to work with him but as time passed he ignored his calls then finally agreed to give him skunk2 spring retainers and valves in compensation for trashing the entire head, pistons, and turbo. Days passed and no parts came. He said he shipped them out then he said they were back ordered and then my friend finally gave up after getting the run around for over a month.

·
Registered
320 Posts

Manipulating the VTC will actually help the spool characteristics of the turbo. However, for a drag car, the benefits may be overshadowed by the possible headaches if problems with the mechanism arise. I'm considering locking mine just to eliminate one possible point of failure. Your application may be different. I'd suggest you start with the OEM VTC gear first. Then, analyze your logs and determine if you benefit from the VTC adjustments. If not, then stick the VTC eliminator gear on there and lock it in the angle where your logs showed most benefit.

·
Registered
349 Posts
B-series cams have no issues what so ever. If Fernando is using the k-series cams in any car I bet you money he checks that tensioner religiously. Then again VERY few people have actually not had one single issue. I stress the very part.

I completely agree with your second statement. Nothing is ever perfect especially things that are mass produced. The biggest problem I have with skunk2 is that they asked a friend of mine to test their all motor cams on his turbo setup. Sure it made power but only to have the tensioner fail within 500 miles and trash the motor and turbo. He contacted Tony and he was willing to work with him but as time passed he ignored his calls then finally agreed to give him skunk2 spring retainers and valves in compensation for trashing the entire head, pistons, and turbo. Days passed and no parts came. He said he shipped them out then he said they were back ordered and then my friend finally gave up after getting the run around for over a month.
That suckss...they shouldnt with all that money they got

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I'm sorry to hear about your friend and I'm pretty sure that Skunk2 will not leave you hanging around.

Manipulating the VTC will actually help the spool characteristics of the turbo. However, for a drag car, the benefits may be overshadowed by the possible headaches if problems with the mechanism arise. I'm considering locking mine just to eliminate one possible point of failure. Your application may be different. I'd suggest you start with the OEM VTC gear first. Then, analyze your logs and determine if you benefit from the VTC adjustments. If not, then stick the VTC eliminator gear on there and lock it in the angle where your logs showed most benefit.
I hear you Chris, but when are we ever under 6500-7000 RPM. We launch of our 2 step higher then that, lol... Shift points are around anywhere from 9000-10000 RPM, my gear ratios are allowing me to drop maybe around 750 RPM with every shift. It's racing and my whole model is "keep it simple stupid" Lol... With the lock rocker assembly, I can tell you that the mid-range is insane.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts