Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What’s going on guys. New to K shenanigans. I’m planning to go boost on my build. I have a k24 and wanted to do the cam gear swap. I’ve read different things about the 50 degree and possible valve contact. I’ve seen some that can be machined 30,35,40,45 degrees. What is the route I should look into. Thank you for your help 🙏🏾

·
Registered
530 Posts
you can insert pins into the 50° gear to limit its movement.
Traktuff offer a kit.
Then you need to clay the engine. It is the only way besides computer modelling to figure out what you max VTC angle is. But for this you need a precise model of the engine, which no-one has for all the variants except Honda themselves.

I can also confirm here that the Mahle forged K-series pistons can be machined to increase depth of the intake valve pocket by 1mm.
In a K20 with 1mm deeper valve pockets and Toda A3, you can use the full 50° cam advance.
The shop even send the US made Mahle pistons to Mahle in Germany to confirm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds a little complicated. I will be running stock cams in a k24. I figured it could just be slapped on and keep it moving. 🤦🏾‍♂️

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you can insert pins into the 50° gear to limit its movement.
Traktuff offer a kit.
Then you need to clay the engine. It is the only way besides computer modelling to figure out what you max VTC angle is. But for this you need a precise model of the engine, which no-one has for all the variants except Honda themselves.

I can also confirm here that the Mahle forged K-series pistons can be machined to increase depth of the intake valve pocket by 1mm.
In a K20 with 1mm deeper valve pockets and Toda A3, you can use the full 50° cam advance.
The shop even send the US made Mahle pistons to Mahle in Germany to confirm.
Sounds a little complicated. I will be running stock cams in a k24. I figured it could just be slapped on and keep it moving. 🤦🏾‍♂️

·
Registered
530 Posts
there is a reason the k24 only comes with a 25° VTC cam gear. piston valve clearance does not allow for much more with the stock cams.

if you plan to supercharge or turbocharge the engine, leave the cams and cam gear alone for now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is a reason the k24 only comes with a 25° VTC cam gear. piston valve clearance does not allow for much more with the stock cams.

if you plan to supercharge or turbocharge the engine, leave the cams and cam gear alone for now.
When you say for now, what do you mean? Trying to learn what I can about the engine I have. Why so many people run it?

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,513 Posts
It is generally assumed you are safe to run up to 45 degrees advance on a stock k24 but not the full 50. But the only way to know for sure what angle you can and can’t use is to clay the engine for clearance. Lots of people put the 50 gear in with no limiter pin and just don’t tune past 40 degrees. But if the vtc solenioid fails or if you have some problem with oil pressure it could cause the engine to advance too far which is why people opt for the $40 limiter pins from Tractuff or the $350 machined rbb gears to 30,35 and 40 for built motors with big cams and aftermarket pistons.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is generally assumed you are safe to run up to 45 degrees advance on a stock k24 but not the full 50. But the only way to know for sure what angle you can and can’t use is to clay the engine for clearance. Lots of people put the 50 gear in with no limiter pin and just don’t tune past 40 degrees. But if the vtc solenioid fails or if you have some problem with oil pressure it could cause the engine to advance too far which is why people opt for the $40 limiter pins from Tractuff or the $350 machined rbb gears to 30,35 and 40 for built motors with big cams and aftermarket pistons.
Thank you for this info. I came across the $40 kit but can’t find info on how to do it. Then I considered the machined gear, then I was told that it would be fine to run oem. I bought 1 just a bit ago on eBay. At this point I think it’s safe to at least do the pin kit. I’m learning as we go.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,513 Posts
Thank you for this info. I came across the $40 kit but can’t find info on how to do it. Then I considered the machined gear, then I was told that it would be fine to run oem. I bought 1 just a bit ago on eBay. At this point I think it’s safe to at least do the pin kit. I’m learning as we go.
The tractuff kit comes with and has instructions on the website you just take the Face of the gear off and put the pin inside. No welding or anything the force of the cam gear spinning keeps it in place

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The “locking pin” is only for clay purposes. You only use the 1 pin that goes inside the vtc gear to limit degrees.
Cool cool. Thanks man for your help. If you think of anything else. Let me know. I’m new new. Doing the shifter selector right now. Something I learned after I got an Si trans.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,513 Posts
Cool cool. Thanks man for your help. If you think of anything else. Let me know. I’m new new. Doing the shifter selector right now. Something I learned after I got an Si trans.
I have a thread documenting putting together my k24a ek from empty engine bay to on the road that may help answer some questions.

·
Registered
97 civic HX K24a
1,513 Posts

1 - 20 of 32 Posts