Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to know if a rsx base shifter and cables will work for type s swap.I can pick this shifter assembly up cheap so if it will work I can be done with my swap.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
as far as i know all rsx's use the same shifter boxes and cables. part numbers are all the same on the acura site.

·
Registered
176 Posts
WHat kind tranny u got a 5sp or 6sp? if u have 5sp it will work but if u have a 6sp bc u said that u have a type s swap and type s swap comes with 6sp tranny...than the base rsx shifther wont work u have buy the rsx type s shifther
thanks

·
Registered
180 Posts
WHat kind tranny u got a 5sp or 6sp? if u have 5sp it will work but if u have a 6sp bc u said that u have a type s swap and type s swap comes with 6sp tranny...than the base rsx shifther wont work u have buy the rsx type s shifther
thanks

92-civic-si Care to elaborate on where you came up with this information??? Because I have a 5spd shifter box and a 6spd shifter box beside me right now and they are completely identical.

·
Premium Member
1,576 Posts
The Revo, RSX-S, Base RSX, and 01+ Civic (Non-Si) can all shift the 6 speed tranny, including reverse. The TSX shifter may be a different design but still bolts up to the same place as the other shifters and functions just as same. It can even use the same short shifter adapters as the other shifters.

thats taken directly from the link:up:

·
Registered
180 Posts
:) I tell you guys what. Since nobody has tried yet, I will borrow my buddies RSX-S and swap in a 5 spd shifter box to see what happens. I'll even make a video to clear up any confusion.

I hate relying on one guys statements online for information. Even though I feel he has a strong argument (Michael Domingoes - XproductionZ.com). I cannot give you a %100 answer without trying it myself.

Subscribe. I'll try to post a vid by friday.

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
actually i have personally used used the 01-05 civic shifter box with a 6-speed tranny and it works. The 01-05 civic shifter box is made for the 5-speed single cam tranny. I have also bought and used the rsx-s box and the revo boxes through first hand experience.

So i can give u 100% on those boxes.. other boxes i cant give you.

However though if you go onto clubrsx.com u will see tons of people with the base 5-speed rsx doing the 6-speed swap.

Like i said in the link. The sifter BASE the mounts to the floor are all IDENTICAL. Its just the bends that are different. I just didnt want people to waste there money on getting a different box if the one they have is sufficient (assuming ur car already came with one).

The ONLY SHIFTER box that has to be modified to accomodate a 6-speed tranny is the shifter assembly from the EP3 aka 2002-2005 Civic SI

FYI my link and article i posted is not an argument it was a fact. dont know if u were pointing it at me or not. But this comparison was also done with karcepts.com which is the reason why i gave credit to them for the pictures taken of the shifter boxes. And there are numerous people who have already done this using the 5-speed shifter boxes which come out of the 01-05 civics and BASE rsx. Including me

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sweet! I didn't even know you were a member here. lol. Thanks for clearing this up.

What I meant by your "argument" was you have a strong "point". I read somewhere in there that other people had problems believing that this shifters were practically all the same. Guess that's where I came up with my choice of words.

And I will second that an 02 civic LX shifter box will operate my TYPE-S tranny.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I will know for shure next week.I bought the rsx base shifter and cables so I will know for sure and will let everyone know as soon as I can.Thanks for all the info.:up:

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts
The cables are identical and have the same part number (54310-S6M-043)... The Shifter box are slightly different but they both can work. The base one may have to be modified slightly..

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I forget what thread I was reading but they said it did need some mod but nothin serious.They also had some pictures of what to do.I just dont remember where the thread was.

·
Super Moderator
26,613 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got my car back together a few weeks ago and installed the shifter and it works just fine all six gears.No problem.:up:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts