Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have the tools or knowhow to replace my second gear/and or synchro in my RSX S 6 speed, so i was thinking about selling it and just buying a 5 speed. The 5 speed seems to be more reliable due to the simplicity compared to the 6 speed. This transmission would go onto a K20z. Has anyone downgraded to a 5 speed? How were the changes in quarter mile time? Did it handle the Revs ok?

Thanks!

·
Registered
44,673 Posts
I don't have the tools or knowhow to replace my second gear/and or synchro in my RSX S 6 speed, so i was thinking about selling it and just buying a 5 speed. The 5 speed seems to be more reliable due to the simplicity compared to the 6 speed. This transmission would go onto a K20z. Has anyone downgraded to a 5 speed? How were the changes in quarter mile time? Did it handle the Revs ok?

Thanks!
They are completely different look:

The 5 speed is not "more durable"
More people are running the 6-speed with more power, and beating the shit out of it.
Either 5-speed you get will have a slower 1-2-3 gear set compared to the 6-speed. The base RSX and the EP3 5-speeds also have different final drives.

Just get yours fixed, or fix it yourself. :up:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew about the different ratios, but i wasn't sure if it would be a positive or negative effect 1/4 mile wise. Is there a write up anywhere giving a run through of the second gear and synchro replacement? Or have any idea what a shop would cost?

·
Registered
44,673 Posts
I knew about the different ratios, but i wasn't sure if it would be a positive or negative effect 1/4 mile wise. Is there a write up anywhere giving a run through of the second gear and synchro replacement? Or have any idea what a shop would cost?
There is a huge writeup with pics in the stickies in this section, and there is more info in the DIY/FAQ too. Also, get the Helms, either by downloading it from the FAQ or buying it online.
The price depends on the parts you buy, you may need more than the syncro.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts