Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thats rite i want to put over 300 hp to the ground with a k-series. i have talked to several companis and they say its not possible. i want to prove them wrong. i have a EK coupe with full interior and i want to daily drive this motor. any sugestions guys?

·
Banned
320 Posts
I can give you a few ideas...

block - sleeve that shit and bore it as big as possible. Forged pistons with a grip of compression (I'd go with CP but that's just a personal preference). Maybe an S2000 crank (yes it's possible I've seen it) for a little more stroke. Some strong (and light) rods. Then of course all the typical block prep and balancing of rotating assembly.

head - I'd start out with a really good valve job and the best/biggest cams and valvetrain you can get. Dyno the motor with the stock ports before you have the head ported so you can dyno it again afterwards to quantify whatever gains you might get from porting.

Intake - TWM itbs

Exhaust - whatever header floats your boat theres a few people making nice ones...

And then you're gonna need a shitload of tuning so of course KPRO or AEM EMS is a must. Just keep tuning it, you might have to try a few different cams too. If you can't get 300 with this you should at least be able to get close.

I'd suggest calling R&D they build some pretty kickass motors...

·
Banned
15,811 Posts
First of all, thanks for posting this topic. It can be done and ti has been done. Drag racing, street racing and only a few people with it is the main reasons why the recipe it is not know.

The recipe consists of k24a sleeved block with aftermartket rods, pistons, stock crank, and a head with bigger valves, ITBS (port and polished as well)

The right combination has the potential to yiled this kind of power.

Crower, IPS K2 and future cams from skunk2 should be able to do it. ( I don't think TODA can do it right now, maybe in the future)

There are a few people on this board that can really help you on this. Give it some time and I am sure they will chime in and tell you what they think. Also asking the right questions is important. Noone is going to give you a 100% list of what parts to buy to achieve your goal... At least not now... People are making good money building these motors and they are not going to be posting that kind of info.

One of the reasons I made this website is to share info everytime I mentioned, I kept reading all these negative remarks from honda people that cannot imagine a world withiout B series... Well, I can.

And when dynojets spit out 300whp dynos in all motor setups, running pump gas, then they will have another excuse.... :p

I hope 2005, brings happiness to you guys, health to you and your family and may the people affected by the recent disaster recover as soos as they can.

Nikos

·
Registered
7 Posts
300hp on a K motor is totally doable.

Theres plenty of room to work with on the K20.

1. Bigger Bore
2. Higher compression/custom Pistons
3. Camshafts
4. Headwork
5. Intake manifold/ITBs
6. Engine Management

and if you want to take it to the next level
7. Custom Crank/Stroke, etc

Wil

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys now atleast im starting to head in the rite direction. oh, to the person to say call r&d dyno because the biuld some sick ass motors well i did and they told me it wasnt possible

·
Registered
7 Posts
JDM K20 Coupe said:
oh, to the person to say call r&d dyno because the biuld some sick ass motors well i did and they told me it wasnt possible
I dont know why they say that. When B-series are already making over 300hp to the wheels.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exospeedracing said:
JDM K20 Coupe said:
oh, to the person to say call r&d dyno because the biuld some sick ass motors well i did and they told me it wasnt possible
I dont know why they say that. When B-series are already making over 300hp to the wheels.
me either but thats what they told me. does anybody know of any other companies out there making cams for it yet?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
nikos said:
First of all, thanks for posting this topic. It can be done and ti has been done. Drag racing, street racing and only a few people with it is the main reasons why the recipe it is not know.

The recipe consists of k24a sleeved block with aftermartket rods, pistons, stock crank, and a head with bigger valves, ITBS (port and polished as well)

The right combination has the potential to yiled this kind of power.

Crower, IPS K2 and future cams from skunk2 should be able to do it. ( I don't think TODA can do it right now, maybe in the future)

There are a few people on this board that can really help you on this. Give it some time and I am sure they will chime in and tell you what they think. Also asking the right questions is important. Noone is going to give you a 100% list of what parts to buy to achieve your goal... At least not now... People are making good money building these motors and they are not going to be posting that kind of info.

One of the reasons I made this website is to share info everytime I mentioned, I kept reading all these negative remarks from honda people that cannot imagine a world withiout B series... Well, I can.

And when dynojets spit out 300whp dynos in all motor setups, running pump gas, then they will have another excuse.... :p

I hope 2005, brings happiness to you guys, health to you and your family and may the people affected by the recent disaster recover as soos as they can.

Nikos
how nessisary is sleeving the block? im planning a K24/20A2 hybrid with up to 280whp, will a blockguard do the trick? or do i have to go big-bore?

i know the larger the bore you go the more prone the rods will be to breaking under RPM, since they will be heavier and acellerating much quicker

·
Banned
320 Posts
NickZED20 said:
how nessisary is sleeving the block? im planning a K24/20A2 hybrid with up to 280whp, will a blockguard do the trick? or do i have to go big-bore?

i know the larger the bore you go the more prone the rods will be to breaking under RPM, since they will be heavier and acellerating much quicker
sleeves = necessary if you expect to make that much power all motor.

the second statement is not really true but I don't feel like explaining why right now. I'll chime in with an explanation tomorrow AM.

I think that if you guys are expecting to build motors that are gonna make this much power you really need to be talking to/working with some experienced, reputable engine builders...

·
Registered
420 Posts
NickZED20 said:

how so?

bore width has nothing to do with piston acceleration, that’s purely down to stroke.

Only downer with running larger bores is the pistons will be bigger (thus potentially heavier), and the rods may also have to be heavier to cope with the increased loads.

That said, the bigger the better in real terms, I guess if you go with Darton or the like, you limit is ~89mm or so?

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
A little of topic but what's the most you can get out of a k20a without boring it out, but with everything else, i.e head porting,raised compression(13:0:1 preferebly), TWM'sITB's,BIG cams, I/H/E,K-pro etc????????

·
Registered
2 Posts
11248c said:
A little of topic but what's the most you can get out of a k20a without boring it out, but with everything else, i.e head porting,raised compression(13:0:1 preferebly), TWM'sITB's,BIG cams, I/H/E,K-pro etc????????
I can't believe no one had said it before this guy - but of course K-Pro!

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
non vtec said:
I will let you know what a stock K20A pulls with all the bolt ons next week... I am off to the dyno with my DTR header set-up..
Good,Good, but what do you think a eg with the setup I described specifically would run??? WHP and TQ???? 1/4 on street tires and slicks????[/b]

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.