Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
taken from his website

Shortly after the purchase of our car in 2003 work started on the body kit, designed and manufactured in-house which consists of both a new front and rear bumper with integrated fully adjustable rear diffuser which mounts via stainless steel length threaded shafts x3. This allows the rear diffuser to be

both raised and lowered including tilt adjustability. An adjustable Mugen rear spoiler was also fitted and to lighten the load further, Perspex side and rear windows were installed.

We changed the standard and slightly overweight alloys for a set of 17 inch
5-Zigen FN-01R forged racing wheels fitted with Dunlop Formula-R SP Sports D01J 215/45ZR/ 17 tyres.

The suspension was soon replaced with a fully adjustable Tein Type Flex coilovers and rose jointed front lower arms to help provide superior handling; the end result lowered the car by approximately 350mm.

To alleviate the inevitable problems of putting large amounts of power through
a front wheel drive transmission, a Spoon limited slip differential was fitted. This improved the cars handling ability considerably whilst also improving the cars overall stability at high speeds and eliminating unwanted understeer.

With the handling and exterior looks complete we next turned our attention to
the performance of the engine. The engine modifications include steel con
rods, steel pistons (high compression), 0.5mm head gasket, cylinder head machined to our own spec, Toda spec-A cams, titanium valve springs, Jenvey individual throttle body injection, Spoon 421 exhaust manifold, Motec M400 fuel management, Enjo Performance poly engine mounts, electric vacuum pump and an Exedy Hyper single carbon clutch to help transmit the power effectively onto the road.

Sparco seat and Willans harnesses were installed in place of the standard seats including the complete strip of all interior panels and roof lining leaving just the original dash in place. We then relocated the battery and housed it in
a carbon enclosed box in the rear of the car.

The brakes have also not escaped improvement and a set of Spoon mono
block front callipers were installed in place of the standard units.

To finish stiffening the car up a full FIA approved roll cage was installed the same as used in the Civic Type-R touring cars.

By this stage the car was now fully transformed and greatly improved upon over the original standard Civic with quicker turn-in stability and additional mid-range.

To finish of the overall look of the car we used our in-house graphics designer
to come up with a decal design scheme to finish of the overall impact we were looking for.

Having completed the project there was only one more area of fulfilment we needed to satisfy… The question was asked! Just how powerful is the car now?

We conservatively estimated between 240 to 260bhp at the flywheel but were more than pleasantly surprised when the car finished its testing on the rolling road.

A standard Type-R provides 197bhp at the flywheel which is extremely impressive from a 2 litre 4-pot engine, so when the figure of 279.4bhp read on the printout we finally new that we had produced the officially most powerful normally aspirated Civic Type-R in the UK

·
Registered
537 Posts
I dunno if Im blind or what but what was done to the motor...besides the obvious?

WHP Im guessing will be around 240-ish at the most? Looks like a nice ride for the track, although I know you "chaps" have a little different style over there for street driven vehicles.

BTW isnt that Naturally Aspirated rather than Normally Aspirated? :)
Good Luck!

Dan.

·
Banned
1,180 Posts
Do you know the WHP AND TQ???? What did it run at the track there??? What track????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Car looks great but get the engine on a engine teststand and we talk again; there are some strange conversion formula's currently used by rolling roads which create extra horsepower (to high estimated lost of tyres, transmission ...).
Only a real engine dynamometer (with strain gauge measurement) will show the real horsepower.
It is not possible to get 279 HP with TODA Spec-A (no way).
We (TODA distributor in The Netherlands, Europe; AVM Autosport) have build several K20A2's and F20C's with TODA Spec-C, forged pistons, Jenvey ITB ... and found a border at 280 -285 HP on a 2.0.
At this stage you get at the very expensive HP !!!!
Everything has to be exactly right at this stage and this can not be solved with bolt-on parts (what TODA and Jenvey parts are) but exactly calculated dimensions of inlet and exhaust tracks and you get a engine with max power in a choosen rpm range.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Awesome car but in the current issue of Turbo magazine, there's a EK hatch with a K20a type-r motor that's making 256 whp with just toda cams and boltons on stock bottom, I would expect your friend's car to produce higher whp/tq #s since it has more mods? or does your dyno read low?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i understand dynos read differently, and i can see where u are comin from with your argument.

heres the dyno graph to show wat it got

extract from second post

The engine modifications include steel con
rods, steel pistons (high compression), 0.5mm head gasket, cylinder head machined to our own spec, Toda spec-A cams, titanium valve springs, Jenvey individual throttle body injection, Spoon 421 exhaust manifold, Motec M400 fuel management
, Enjo Performance poly engine mounts, electric vacuum pump and an Exedy Hyper single carbon clutch to help transmit the power effectively onto the road.

now, he will not even tell me the exact specs of the engine. but with a bump from a stock 10.8:1 cr to xx.x:1 (probably in the region of 12.5+), machined flowd cylinder head, and itbs. i dont think that is unacheiveable. difficult, but not unachieveable.

not wanting to start no war here as i only posted it in the interest of other k20 entusiasts, but if u wanna know more about this car/engine, then go to www.nemsisperformance.net. get there contact details, and hopefully they'll answer you questions.

happy hunting :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah my post wasn't meant to flame, just wondering how come the #s aren't that high with all the mods posted. But props for having such a monster NA setup :up:

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are substantial differences between accepted dyno measurement techniques and figures between the USA and the UK.

In the US the defacto standard is a SAE corrected wheel hp figure from a dynojet. A stock K20A2 will make 160-170 hp, depending on how well it was broken it. There is a variance between dynojets, as proven in a magazine a few months back which put the same truck on three different dynojets and got 3 different answers. People seldom quote a flywheel figure, and not all dynos can do the coast down estimation for the wheel/ transmission loses. I did this once on a stock B18C5 type R motor and got 179 hp wheel and 200 hp flywheel ~ 10% loss.

In the UK the norm is a flywheel figure, calculated from a coast down. The wheel hp figure is much lower than we would see in the US, for example a K20A2 Civic Type R usually sees about 150 wheel hp on a dyno dynamics, where it should slightly less than the US RSX (200 bhp RSX vs 200 ps Civic). I would actually expect the Civic to be higher since it is the same engine but it has electric power steering. There often is a big difference between wheel hp and flywheel - more than 21% in the graph above, and sometimes higher (20-25% seems normal).

In the case above a comparison on the same dyno to a number of stock Civics would give a clue to the gain, and possibly the equivilent dynojet hp. Stock K20A injectors max out at around 230 dynojet hp (mine were at 97% duty at 232 dynojet hp), which would limit hp unless the injectors were swapped out.

The accuracy of each method of measuring engine power is debatable (and it has been debated), but the point of my post is different dyno accepted practices (and quoted figures) exist between the UK and the US.

The Nemesis Civic looks nicely prepared and is a credit to the people who built it. If only the road was dry in the photos...

·
Registered
537 Posts
Wow for a guy named Rubber Chicken that was very informative j/p :D

Very interesting. Dyno charts seem to really mess with peoples heads these days. Most dont realize that different dynos can read different numbers. Things like temp, humidity can skew a dyno.

The other thing that riles me is folks that dont understand elevation. Example is one guy will write in saying he just ran a 14.5 at 5000 ft elevation in "X" car and the next post is someone writes "thats nothing my homeboy with that exact same set-up ran a 13.6 in Southern Cal. ugh.

Sorry that probably sounds like rambling but my brain is tired lol.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
alanb said:
i think u'll find rubber chicken knows his stuff!
He should... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
V8KO said:
Haha yeah I was just fOOlin. :p

allright man let the cat out of the bag.
Something about owning or operating HONDATA... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.