Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have many doubters here in Arkansas. People in Arkansas just dont build imports, at most they will add a turbo, maybe port work. Nobody builds an import for NA purposes. My goals are 275whp before juice. I am hoping it is possible. Here is the build list, input would be appreciated, and what else is needed would be greatful too. Keep in mind I have no extra money remaining, everything else will have to be added well after the build, one thing at a time.

K20a2 longblock, K20a2 tranny(syncros are going bad, cant shift fast past 8300rpms, and not at all past 8700rpms), Kpro

Head
-Brian Crower stage 3 cams
-Brian Crower flat face valves
-Ferraer valve locks
-Skunk2 Pro series springs and retainers
-Level 1 headwork(tuner/sponsor might surprise me with level 2, would do more but not able to shift any higher he said no)
-stock PRB manifold gasket matched and thermal coated
-Cometic .027" headgasket
-Injen SRI thermal coated(I run cooler AIT at cruise then Fujita CAI under same conditions, I want a CAI though)
-K&N airfilter

Block
-Wiseco 11.7:1 pistons that tuner ceramic coated the tops with .003-.004" layer of coating to help keep detonation down
-Eagle H-beam rods
-Calico Coatings B18 ceramic coated bearings
-Toda Timing Tensioner

Exhaust
-DC Sport race header
-custom mandrel bend 3" exhaust with OEM style Magnaflow mufler 3" in/3" out

Future goals
-want to run 2 or 3 stages of nitrous on this car, up to 200-300 shot, what ever we can handle on stock block no block guard or sleeves.
-want an aftermarket intake either custom sheet metal, IPS, or ITBs
-better header or a custom made one

Do you guys think it is possible? If not what suggestions are there?

Thanks guys, also I will contribute to this as we build it, the parts are in the car now, just wasnt built right, previous builder purposely screwed me over(we have plenty of proof to make this acusation) and now my tuner will redo it and do it right.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
ur header is restrictive, get a custom one from asp, ssr/dtr, etc. on my setup my rcrew header is restricting alot of the power, i used to have a dc sport rh and my rcrew is significantly larger than it.

·
Infinite levels to this..
25,373 Posts
not only will you not make 275whp on that setup but with the 200-300 shot you will blow a hole through at least one piston. rethink ya idea man. that is a hell of alot of nitrous and that thing should not be attempted on stock sleeves in my opinion. keep that k20 and add a stroker kit to it. that will get you up there. 12.5 with a 87mm bore and a good stroker kit will get you into the range you want definitely. besides at 275 you will probably notice that you won't need that huge of a shot. sounds like you are looking to drag this thing on or off the street. i would start with the proper build to hit 275. you can reach those numbers without a stroker kit as well. ips products can get you there with a nice hot block. gotta pay to play though.

you want a build that you can enjoy, not something that will need to be redone after 5k. sleeve it with a bigger bore.

also figure out if you are going itb or not first. if you go itb then get an AEM EMS. better for itbs than kpro. if you go manifold then go kpro. anything else is weaksauce.

·
Registered
226 Posts
you can do it with a mild k24 build without spray. lol how about you buy my motor for 2,500 and that is
2003 k20a2
wiesco 11.7 1
full skunk cams and valve train, cams springs retainers cam gears (vtc eliminator )
rbc and t.b.
r-crew header
toda compression helper head gasket
with less than 4,000 miles on it i changed the oil every 500 miles.
it made 241 hp-161 tq on pump gas 93 with kpro

·
Registered
366 Posts
Congrats on your results.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
k24 block
12.5:1 pistons
rods
ips k10 cams
ported rbc manifold
custom header
custom exhaust

that set up will net you close to what you want.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
you will need a 2.4 to get that power on a setup like that. but you will also need a better header, and maybe better cams. i havent really heard of anyone making 275+ on crowers.. i would personally not use the pro series springs, they are VERY stiff... just use the brian crower stuff if your running those cams, or supertech or eibach

as for the nitrous, i wouldnt recommend more than 150 on stock sleeves, and it really should be a 2 stage with direct port

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wow, didnt realize that, I was seeing numbers on CRSX, I guess they are using different dynoes. The setup I have will have to work for me for at least 1 more year, then I plan on getting different valve train, you are right bout those springs being waaaay to stiff, that is why the stock valve locks wouldnt work, they kept pulling through. So with aggressive tuning probly 245-250whp ya think? Also, I did a calculation on 2 different sites on the internet with the information given to me off the pistons, bore stroke, etc. found the volume, and both sites said that I was between 13.2-13.4:1 compression with current setup. Haha I was wanting to stay bout 12.2:1 to run pump 93octane, but guess that aint happening. Yes this will be a drag car, we will be stripping it out completely, crash supports, ac, lines and plumbing, everything we can to lose ounces, though maybe once a month or so I plan on cruising out and about for an hour or two in it to get some relaxing seat time in it. My next setup I want to go 2.4 with Brian Crower stroker kit since it comes with everything cutom made to order, go 13.5:1, and then also sleeve the block and run a block guard, then spray and pray.

I asked Wiseco and they said with my setup, 200shot was safe on the stock block. I plan on running 50 in first or 75 if I get traction, then come on with 150, or 125, if no traction back that down to a shot that will hook, and add a 3rd stage. The 300 shot will be probly for State Championship race we have in October, and if it blows, then my wife will have to let me do the stroker. I have access to a cheap 2.4 block, but I already bought the internals for the 2.0 and stuck running it for at least a year, if it blows during that year, I will just go out and watch everyone else while scrounging up money. As long as parts dont fail, I am fine with having the motor rebuilt a few times a year, my sponsor is handling that for me, he is being a great help! They have always done turbo cars mainly, never sponsored a nitrous car, nor a NA car, I am their first, and they were wanting a K very badly too, so this helps.

I dont want to come across as a know-it-all, cause clearly I dont, I am glad to be on this forum, due to the fact you guys put people in perspective, you have been there done that, and more than happy to offer a hand. Other sites have sooo many people, that alot of them are like you, but also at same time you get about 2/3rds more that dont know, and on there cause its "cool".

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
With a 2.0L setup, assuming you had the right parts, you could reliably make 230-240whp on a dynojet. I can definitely tell you've been hanging out on clubrsx way too long.lol You parts list is all over the place. If you're in a dc5 chassis, it's going to even be harder to hit your goals. In my RSX with PRC, IPS K2s, Kpro, DC Sports header and HKS exhaust, I made about 220whp. Practically the same setup in my EG made almost 235whp-no A/C, P/S, smaller and lighter wheel/tire combo.

I'm a little lost as to how your setup wasn't built right. What does that mean? Is it just a tuning issue? Collectively, I will say that your setup is not built right. If you have no money left, then just drive this around normally until you have the cash for a k24 bottom end. I know what it feels like to be missing the local drag scene(It's been over a year since my shit has been running), but I would not dump anymore money into it.

I'm sure Nikos will post soon to give you some much needed advice. But he's basically going to tell you to go buy a k24 bottom end, get some pistons and rods and you'll be at 275whp, even with a dc sports race header! Good Luck.

The thread below is a great start to understanding how simple it is to make 260-280whp with a k24.
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36345

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
It is possible to make 270whp REAL dynojet on a 2 liter k20a2 block but it is going to take a lot of money. The 86mm stroke of the RSX is restrictive unless you can build a motor that can rev and make power all the way to 10000 RPM +.

Another limitation is compression on the 86mm stroke.. 12.5 is pretty mucht the max you can get out of normal piston.

Stock PRB manifold.. another limitation.. get a RBC to see some more gains.

With the setup you have listed, it sounds like 220whp-230whp if you are lucky and everything goes your way which is really never the case.

A k24a block with some aftermarket pistons like 12.5 compression would get you in the 250whp range still on stock cams. Good luck and thanks for having an open mind.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
dynapack, plus most likely higher compression, all better internals, and better flowing head than this setup posted here
All he said was 270+ so I gave him 270+. He didn't ask for dynojet or anything specific besides 270 and IPS. The 270+ on IPS site he's referring to was still dynapacks too so it's still all the same to him. I quoted Jones for a reason cause it was a reply to him and not BuiltRsx.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I gotcha, I am glad I am put into perspective here. Aner reason I was thinking surely that would be obtainable is because a buddy of mine has an 02 type-s stock internals, DC Sport header dumped, Fujita CAI, Kpro...he dynoed 217whp and 158trq on a mobile dyno, he has never been on a dyno to tune, inexperienced at tuning did it himself. So If I make 235whp I should be thrilled, anything over that cake. Thanks. This is basically a budget build, or what it turned out to be, and the next build will be more radical, and most definately in a swapped car, prob put a base 2.0 in my type s since they are a dime a dozen.

Also, there is reasonable proof that the rings were lined up on purpose, I couldnt ever have nuff compression to start it, and when people asked me to remember how it was built, they said that was a no-no. The compression ring gap was one way, and all the other rings were the opposite side lined up.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
All he said was 270+ so I gave him 270+. He didn't ask for dynojet or anything specific besides 270 and IPS. The 270+ on IPS site he's referring to was still dynapacks too so it's still all the same to him. I quoted Jones for a reason cause it was a reply to him and not BuiltRsx.
and jones86 responded to what nikos said, which was about 270+ on a dynojet

1 - 20 of 22 Posts