Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my RSX about a month ago and since then I have been planning this trip.

First mod (other than what came on the car) was Kpro, and I went to work.

When I bought my car it had no 3rd gear, so since I couldnt focus as much on the Full Throttle portion of my tune, I focused on the part throttle portion.

After a ton of datalogs and discovering the KAutoFuel program (thanks stwatson), I dialed in my tune, loaded it up, and left for Houston from my house.

I have mapped out the trip for non-believers. Everything I list in this is completely factual.

I left around 19:30 (which can be verified), and the time on my receipt for the gas was 22:37, which means I made the above listed ~4 hour drive in just over 3 hours, so I was doing over the speed limit the entire time to say the least.

As I arrived, laptop nearly dead, in the Valero in Conroe to fill up I admit I was hesistant to believe what my head math was saying, but as the pump clicked to show it was full, it became a reality.

244.8 miles
6.185 Gallons
------------------
~39.58 MPG

To be fair, this drive was completely highway.

On that note, I did not do any drafting, was in the left lane quite a bit, did not check my tire pressures before or after and I am running old oil. The AC was on the entire time, and I was datalogging on my laptop. Not to mention the varying of my speeds throughout the drive.

So in short, this was in no way a perfect test. I know had I stayed at a steady 60-65mph, properly inflated my tires before hand, and kept the fan on but the AC off, I could have achieved even better results.

For anyone who tries to call BS, I will prove this the best I can, but in the end, it just happened.

For all of you who wish to say "old news" or "been there done that," I just wanted to celebrate a personal achievement so please leave me alone.

Cliffs: KPro + Street Tune = 40mpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks man. Yea. I used to own a Civic, so getting 40mpg was not unexpected. I once got close to 50 in my civic, but I never expected to get anywhere near 40 in an RSX.

·
Registered
106 Posts
nice milage! leaning it out during cruising works wonders. Just make sure you are not running a cat. running lean with a cat will ruin it over time.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Just drove from miami in my 02 type s, thought i was going to be screwed, had $21 to my name and i live 200 miles from there, so i filled up with 87 of course since it was cheaper, i think i got 7.54 gallons or something, drove over 200 miles and still had about 2 gallons left, i know this because when i put 5 bucks in thats where the needle is at. so i think i averaged about the same 40 mpg almost all highway...which i was suprised along with my friend who knows nothing about cars.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
this is a great example of what a good part throttle tune could do (with lots of time and effort on data logging). I don't use the program you use since I have my own tuning method that works without a program

·
Registered
277 Posts
That's cool. My economy sucked when I first put the AEM on my car, but after spending lots of time trimming accel enrichment, accel/decel thresholds, ignition timing, cam phasing, and of course the part throttle area of the fuel map - I picked up about 6-7 mpg over stock. and it's been consistent for the last 80,000 miles. So good job!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Congrats :up: I get around 35-40 mpg on the interstate but that's in my EJ1 coupe so it's a decent amount lighter than your RSX and it's tuned.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Im not tuned yet and i was averaging 33mpg from cincinnati to Import alliance and back..

Not bad for 4 people and a/c on..lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's cool. My economy sucked when I first put the AEM on my car, but after spending lots of time trimming accel enrichment, accel/decel thresholds, ignition timing, cam phasing, and of course the part throttle area of the fuel map - I picked up about 6-7 mpg over stock. and it's been consistent for the last 80,000 miles. So good job!
Thanks....I know I have some work to do yet, but im getting there!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts