Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Houston area
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister took her 05 TL in for service and they gave her an 09 TSX and i decided to take a look at the engine. A few things i noticed that were different is the valve cover being a charcoal color, and the exhuast side having one big port rather than 4 ports and a header, plastic intake manifold, and different fuel rail cover, heater pipes were routed differently. among other stuff. The stamp on it said k24z3 . lol enjoy

·
Registered
255 Posts
the block, head, front cover, oil pan, oil pump and oil pan are totally different then the K24AX-K20AX style engines. they are a totally different breed of k engines

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Yeah, it needs a new style head gasket and chain cover as well. Someone mentioned that he midshaft mounting position has changed as well.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yeah, it needs a new style head gasket and chain cover as well. Someone mentioned that he midshaft mounting position has changed as well.
I could believe it, the hole casting of the engine from the head to the oil pan is different. The head uses a 1 runner exhaust manifold. It looks like a head with a t3 flange sticking off the side.

·
Premium Member
360 Posts
I wonder how much they go for:rolleyes:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Also the crank sensor is in mounted on the block behind the exhaust manifold. It only have vtec on the intake side only which is like and Accord engine but it has 11.1 compression ratio. I don't like how Honda has design all thier new cylinder head for all of their new engines. The exhaust ports come out to 1 single collector which is not great for high performance in term of header efficiency. The Rdx head is also like that.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also the crank sensor is in mounted on the block behind the exhaust manifold. It only have vtec on the intake side only which is like and Accord engine but it has 11.1 compression ratio. I don't like how Honda has design all thier new cylinder head for all of their new engines. The exhaust ports come out to 1 single collector which is not great for high performance in term of header efficiency. The Rdx head is also like that.
Yeh, its very similar to 08 Accord, I think only the pistons with 11:1 CR and cams are different.
They do that with the exhaust to keep heat up and be able to get cat close so it heats up fast . It might not be as bad as you think flow wise but for sure headers are out .
Could be great for turbo setup though .

·
Houston area
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, i punched it a couple times, You cant really feel the vtec,like that of an rsx, or older tsx.(guess its because of the vtec on the intake side) I was not impressed at all. It is very responsive in low rpms. But when you just punch it, feels like the engine is reving to nowhere.

·
Houston area
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea, i punched it a couple times, You cant really feel the vtec,like that of an rsx, or older tsx.(guess its because of the vtec on the intake side) I was not impressed at all. It is very responsive in low rpms. But when you just punch it, feels like the engine is reving to nowhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, I happen to have 08 accord so a little familiar with it.
IMO the reason you don't notice VTEC (hi/low cams) kick in like older models is they lower the rpm the hi cam kicks in. It seems to be somewhere around 4500-5000, but i have not tested turn on of point of rocker arm oil control solenoid . The intake manifold is tuned for low to mid range torque as red line is like 7100.
Also with stock airbox/resonator and intake piping its hard to hear. Probably weight of vehicle has a lot to do too.
Acura 2009 TSX are heavy 3400-3500 approx.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
this motor is more similar (in physical design and setup) to the k23 from the rdx and the k24 from the new crv

i like the darker valve cover though

·
Registered
255 Posts
unlike the "K2XA" style engines that use a crankshaft position sensor, these K24Z style engines use a reluctor wheel like a V8.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What does the 09 TSX engine do to make 11 more hp and 8 more lbs-ft?

is it just tuning?

i know there is an increase in compression ratio, is that whats making the gains? how do they accomplish it?

would it be possible to put the ecu tune from the 09 TSX on an 08 Accord?

I'm new to the tuning game and any insight would be great!

Thanks

~Play~

1 - 18 of 18 Posts