Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
F1 Junky
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time one and all for a new season of Formula One, this time around things may be very much different than last season. New rules are in effect which really throw a wrench in any pre-season predictions this year. Let's go over the changes in rules as well as the teams this year.

The Rules

Engines
Engines must now last for 3 races(including qualifying). To help the reliability factor, the engines are also limited to 18,000rpms instead of the 19,000rpms which was in effect last season.

Tyres
We finally see the return to full race-slick tyres. During testing last season teams were averaging close to two seconds-a-lap faster times with last years aero package over the grooved tyres that have been used for about the past 10 seasons. This will definately yield more mechanical grip for the drivers, but with the aerodynamic changes will the overall times be faster?

Aero
One of the biggest changes this year is to the aerodynamic regulations on the cars. From last year we see about a 60% decrease in overall downforce. Gone are all the winglets and flaps along the sidepods, gone are the huge rear wings spreading over the rear tyres and in their place is a huge front wing, spreading all the way across the front tyres edge to edge. The the front wing there are moveable flaps, which will allow drivers to change the front downforce setting on the wing, with a set number of changes per lap.

Miscellaneous
This year is also the introduction of the KERS(Kinetic Energy Recovery System) on the cars. Use of this system is optional, but those teams running may have a huge advantage. More info on this system can be found here: http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2009/0/612.html and here http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2009/0/611.html.

The Teams

Ferrari

Drivers: Kimi Raikkonnen, Felipe Massa

[DISCLAIMER]I personally don't like Felipe for the only reason that I think he looks like a little troll. That being said any negative comments I may make about him throughout the rest of this thread are based nearly on that soul reason.[/DISCLAIMER] Ferrari's back, and being the first to debut the new car, the F60, gives them a shot at doing more opening testing to see what does or doesn't work to develop it before Melbourne. I really hope Kimi does well this season and is able to challenge for the championship at the end of the season, other than that I hate the troll. It may drive well, but I still hate it.

Mclaren

Drivers: Lewis Hamilton, Heikki Kovalainen

Well, I liked Lewis when he first appeared and showed up Alonso(no trollish comments here[though there could be], I just think Alonso's stuck up), so I hope Lewis is ready for the pressure of defending his championship this season. Heikki did very well last season and hope he can doing well again and stay close, if not beat his teammate.

BMW Sauber

Drivers: Robert Kubica, Nick Heidfield

After a damn good drive last season, Robert's definately going to be a contender this season if the car's up to shape. I'm a bit surprised that Heidfield still kept his drive at BMW after being shown up by his teammate nearly every race. Hopefully Nick will drive better this season after realizing he might've come close to losing his seat in F1.

Renault

Drivers: Fernando Alonso, Nelson Piquet JR!

Alonso started to be competitive towards the end of last season and he might take the fight to the front this season depending on the ride. Now what make absolutely no F***ING sense to me is why Piquet JR's still in a drivers seat for Renault? Last season there were so many mistakes and poor performances out of him that I'm shocked they're asking for a second helping of it? He never seemed to learn from his rookie mistakes early in the season and kept the bad luck all season. I'm wondering if it's only his 3-time world champion father who was able to keep him there.

Toyota

Drivers: Jarno Trulli, Timo Glock

After a grand video debut to the new car(check out http://www.tf109-premiere.com/) it looks like Toyota's finally going to take things seriously when it comes to F1, well maybe that is. Last year, Jarno was at the front, if not middle of the pack while Timo actually did a damn good job throughout the season. Of course there were a couple of crashes, but overall I was pretty impressed by his performance, especially later in the season.

Red Bull

Drivers: Mark Webber, Sebastian Vettel

Vettel's finally stepping up to the parent team this year, replacing David Coulthard who finally realized he's not in his prime anymore. It will be interesting to see the performance of Mark Webber early in the season after breaking his leg during his charity bike race during the off-season.

Toro Rosso

[Pics of 2009 car not released]

Drivers: Sebastien Buemi, Sebastien Bourdais

With a new car and possibly a whole new driver lineup, Toro Rosso has the cleanest slate so far to start with this season, we'll see if that'll help or hinder them. There's three drivers all trying to get the remaining seat on the team: Sebastian Bourdais, Takuma Sato, and Bruno Senna. The latter is the nephew of the LEGENDARY Ayrton Senna.

Williams

Drivers: Nico Rosberg, Kazuki Nakajima

I'm hoping that Williams will be able to step up their game this year over the mediocre performance they put in last year. That's about all I have to say on that.

Force India

Drivers: Adrian Sutil, Giancarlo Fisichella

Hopefully Vijay will have enough money to turn around the under-performaning team. I do hope that they can manage to run mid-pack this season, it's about the only team I think will do well with the cost-cutting measures.

I will also pose the question of everyone's ideas on Bernie Ecclestone's medals concept.

·
Registered
550 Posts
honda still doesnt have drivers for next season i believe....

kimi and felipe gonna handle their business for ferrari again next season

you guys think it will be close like last season?...hamilton only won by a single point over massa?

·
Infinite levels to this..
25,373 Posts
that KERS system looks sick. it will be like getting a mini shot of nitrous for 6.6 seconds lol this will definitely be interesting to see.

·
F1 Junky
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honda completely dropped out of Formula One for at least the 2009 season and thanks for noticing the tag Colin :up:

Edit: First post updated.

·
F1 Junky
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Wow, look at those tiny rear wings. They will just do more to channel air over it to achieve the same overall aero grip. However with that super wide front wing, I wonder how effective passing will be? Seems like having more on the front makes it even harder to pass.

·
JDM KING/K20a Supporter
30,257 Posts
There some rumors around that a Mexican guy wants to buy the F1 Honda Team, nothing official yet, but the guy is really rich, Carlos Slim (World's 2nd richest person) so let´s see what happens...

·
JDM KING/K20a Supporter
30,257 Posts

·
F1 Junky
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've heard that those were only rumors at best.

·
JDM KING/K20a Supporter
30,257 Posts
I've heard that those were only rumors at best.
You´ll never know with this crazy rich ass people... I only hope Honda comes back to the track...

·
F1 Junky
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 83 Posts