Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so I'm looking at buying a 2006 Si that is missing the engine/trans. It appears that the shift cables, subframe, and mounts are still in the car. Other than trying to find a z3 swap for it, what would be the closest thing to put back in there?

Let me reformulate that. If I find a later model TSX swap, will the stock ECU from the Si run it? Is the intake manifold from a z3 compatible with the TSX head? What mounts (if any) are different? I've read through about 20 pages of posts on this board and haven't found this...maybe it's on the 21st, but I need help.

Kinda wondering if I should just try to find a late model TSX swap, buck up for a z3 take out swap, or if could make a A2 swap work by finding an IM/wiring harness/TB for TBW.

Also, if someone could verify this it would be awesome. But I gather that the mounting point for the shift cables on a z3 trans are different than the other Kswap trannys...yes/no?

looking for some thoughts/opinions on this. I'm really asking more as a convo starter than actual advice. Plus, it may help someone to know what is involved in replacing an engine/trans/whatever in the 06+ Si cars.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anybody have any thoughts?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'll let you know if I wind up getting the car. I'm going to look at the vehicle tomorrow (12/17).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well that's what I was kinda thinking of, but wasn't sure how it would run with the stock ECU and TBW...now I know.

Thanks.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so I've got another question related to this setup. If I piece together a swap and use an RSX-S trans, will the shifter mechanism from the 06+ Si bolt on/work without modifications? I've searched on here and can't seem to find the exact info on this. What about speed sensor and stuff like that. If you know this or even where to search that would be great...post up.

thanks.

·
Registered
447 Posts
ok, so I've got another question related to this setup. If I piece together a swap and use an RSX-S trans, will the shifter mechanism from the 06+ Si bolt on/work without modifications? I've searched on here and can't seem to find the exact info on this. What about speed sensor and stuff like that. If you know this or even where to search that would be great...post up.

thanks.
not 100% sure but im pretty confident it will work. the rsx-s shifter mech works on the 06 si trans so i dont see a reason why the 06 shifter mech wouldn't work in the rsx trans.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
even if it is close enuf to make it work w/o major fabbing is really all I'm looking for.

and the speed sensor and other wiring would be compatible?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks. I'm going to do some more hunting before I ask another question about the VSS.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the speed sensor between the 06+ si and 02-04 rsx are different. the 06+ si has a high frequency type and the 02-04 rsx is low frequency.

http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43348
ok, can't find a picture (googled it). Physically, will the z3 speed sensor fit/work in the RSX trans?

If I put a RSX trans in the 2006+ Si I use:

2006+ Shift mechanism (the parts mounted to the trans)
2006+ Speed Sensor (Assuming the RSX-S trans is 02-04, cuz 05-06 are different, right).

is this correct?

·
Registered
452 Posts
the mounts on the Si tranny compared to the TSX tranny are different, you will have to relocate/ fabricate the tranny mounts

·
Registered
196 Posts
ok, can't find a picture (googled it). Physically, will the z3 speed sensor fit/work in the RSX trans?

2006+ Speed Sensor (Assuming the RSX-S trans is 02-04, cuz 05-06 are different, right).

is this correct?
The speed sensor will work considering it is an 05-06 transmission. If it's an 02-04 transmission, it wont work. It'll disable to car for some reason? lol. :confused:

·
Registered
447 Posts

is this correct?
ive got both those parts as well. let me know if you still need them. but to answer your questions you need both and the shifter cables to allow the trans to work in a 06+ Si.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,647 Posts
OP: If you're still working on this, you'll probably want a Z3 tranny to save you a lot of headaches.

I'm not sure what's available in terms of ECU upgrades but one concern I'd have with going with a K24 is that you might run lean. ECU might just provide enough fuel for a K20. I also wonder if the TSX ECU is compatible. I seem to recall the Si and TSX throttle bodies looking very similar.

* UPDATE *
Looks like there is an ECU solution now... SWEET...
http://k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59780&highlight=hondata+flashpro

1 - 19 of 19 Posts