Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a auto tsx, wanted some advice. I been doing some research and eventually I want to be at 300 HP NA. From what I gather I would need to work on the engine and get a Hondata for tuning. I bought a ecu from a 2007 tsx since the one on my vehicle is not compatible with Hondata also bought the Hondata along with the can adaptor. I bought a RBB3 head with the auto cams, I’m thinking about swapping out my head for the one I bought so I can maximize gains once I get it tune.

Few questions,

Will the RBB3 head which is from a 2006 tsx fit on my engine ?

Will the head work with my original ecu ?

Other than porting the head should I make any other changes ? Any add ons ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I picked up a auto tsx, wanted some advice. I been doing some research and eventually I want to be at 300 HP NA. From what I gather I would need to work on the engine and get a Hondata for tuning. I bought a ecu from a 2007 tsx since the one on my vehicle is not compatible with Hondata also bought the Hondata along with the can adaptor. I bought a RBB3 head with the auto cams, I’m thinking about swapping out my head for the one I bought so I can maximize gains once I get it tune.

Few questions,

Will the RBB3 head which is from a 2006 tsx fit on my engine ?

Will the head work with my original ecu ?

Other than porting the head should I make any other changes ? Any add ons ?

View attachment 102579
The head is a direct bolt on. I would get a 50 vtc gear and pin it to 40 to be safe, and maybe look into a rbc intake manifold. That would get you some decent Gains over stock

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I get the VTC gear put it in along with the head is it safe to drive with the oem ecu ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
The head is a direct bolt on. I would get a 50 vtc gear and pin it to 40 to be safe, and maybe look into a rbc intake manifold. That would get you some decent Gains over stock
If I get the VTC gear put it in along with the head is it safe to drive with the oem ecu ?
i would imagine so. If the computer isn’t telling the vtc gear to go past 25* I don’t think it will on its own. People drop the 50 gear straight into k24 all the time but supposedly at full 50 degrees the clearances aren’t exactly safe so it’s good to use a pin to limit vtc to 40 or get a machined rbb gear to 45*

·
Registered
254 Posts
On my '05 motor (with '06 cams) I bought a used RSX gear, and put the limiter pin for 40 degrees in it. Your advance isn't going to go over the factory 24-25 until you tune for it. Safer to have the limiter to prevent possible mechanical advance that ignores the software - you never know...

·
Registered
463 Posts
On my '05 motor (with '06 cams) I bought a used RSX gear, and put the limiter pin for 40 degrees in it. Your advance isn't going to go over the factory 24-25 until you tune for it. Safer to have the limiter to prevent possible mechanical advance that ignores the software - you never know...
Yup I got the tractuff 40 degree pin. Very good peace of mind.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So get a vtc gear and set it to 45 degrees any vendors I should buy from any suggestions ? Also should I have the head ported ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
So get a vtc gear and set it to 45 degrees any vendors I should buy from any suggestions ? Also should I have the head ported ? View attachment 102614 View attachment 102615 View attachment 102616 View attachment 102617
So with the vtc gear unless you spend a few hundred getting the RBB (25*) gear machined out to 45* your options would be getting limiter pins that come in 30 and 40 measurements I’m not aware of a 45 limiter pin but I could be wrong. I would find a new or used OEM Honda rbc vtc gear to start with and then look on tractuff.com for the limiter pins and go with the 40 unless you want to spend the $ for the extra 5 degrees.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So with the vtc gear unless you spend a few hundred getting the RBB (25*) gear machined out to 45* your options would be getting limiter pins that come in 30 and 40 measurements I’m not aware of a 45 limiter pin but I could be wrong. I would find a new or used OEM Honda rbc vtc gear to start with and then look on tractuff.com for the limiter pins and go with the 40 unless you want to spend the $ for the extra 5 degrees.
So since I’m changing the head anything else I should swap out timing belt gaskets ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
So since I’m changing the head anything else I should swap out timing belt gaskets ?
K series engines come with a timing chain and tensioner, those are good items to replace when you’re inside the engine. At least the tensioner if you’re at 100k or above and it hasn’t been done yet

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you've never taken one apart, download the shop manual & read the directions first. go to HondaHookup for that. Make sure you have a good 3/8" drive torque wrench for all the small items. HondaBond is used on just about everything, so no gaskets.

You can get a chain/tensioner/guide kit, so that is advisable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picked up a rbc intake along with the throttle body getting all parts together to do the work.

·
Registered
174 Posts
If you've never taken one apart, download the shop manual & read the directions first. go to HondaHookup for that. Make sure you have a good 3/8" drive torque wrench for all the small items. HondaBond is used on just about everything, so no gaskets.

You can get a chain/tensioner/guide kit, so that is advisable.
Good advice. I am settling on a decent 3/8" torque wrench right now. I found an oil pan gasket made by K-Motor for $30ish and decent assembly lube.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the hondata along with the CAN connector hooked everything up connected the new ecu the immobilizer light was going on and off hooked up my scanner no communication any suggestions ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I got the hondata along with the CAN connector hooked everything up connected the new ecu the immobilizer light was going on and off hooked up my scanner no communication any suggestions ?
I believe you have to go into parameters and disable the immobilizer on the flashpro settings on your computer ? That’s how it is for kpro so I’m just assuming it’s the same but I’ve never used flash

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hooking up the CAN cable was very difficult, the OBD2 cable on the vehicle has very little slack to work with turns out I was having a connection issue on the OBD2 connector I was losing the CAN signals got everything sorted out partially although the connector doesn’t communicate while is hooked up to the OBD2 plate I bought an OBD2 extension in the future I may have to get a OBD2 connector, hoping the extension could work for me in the mean time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had to get a 2007 ECU since my vehicle is a 2004, once you get the ecu you have to code the key to the ecu the correct procedure is to get Honda to rewrite the VIN to the new ecu the mechanic I got to do it for me used a Launch scanner to code the key so basically he match the new ecu to the key issue is the ecu had a different vin from my vehicle so I was getting an error while I was trying to lock in the ecu to the flashpro I had to hook up the vehicle to a scanner to get the vin number.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got these parts so far

RBC intake manifold
RBB3 head with auto cams
VTC gear 50

What headers and test pipe should I get ?

what throttle body should I also get ?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think k tuned makes a 70mm or 72 drive by wire throttle body. The j37 is an oem 80mm DBW as well I’m pretty sure

1 - 20 of 26 Posts