Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
to me it looks like the passenger side engine mount might need to be replaced. I could be wrong, check it out to see if the the mount's rubber is compromised.
I was planning to replace all the mounts while the engine is out, but i'll check that and get back to you, i'm curious, too.

Think its worth trying to run some head gasket sealer, and a few cycles of oil and coolant flushes?

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,097 Posts
Think its worth trying to run some head gasket sealer, and a few cycles of oil and coolant flushes?
I am not sure, I do not have experience with using head gasket sealer. They only off-the shielf product similar I have used is a "oil stop buring product" They are a copper-ish sludge that works their way around engine and fills in places where oil is leaking. That stuff will seal around the valve guides from the top-side.

·
Super Moderator
697 Posts
it looks like the passenger side engine mount might need to be replaced. I could be wrong, check it out to see if the the mount's rubber is compromised.
I was going to say the same thing. As for the springs, I would guess Eibach solely based off of color.

I have some pictures on another forum of an engine (granted, not a K series) I tore apart and found head gasket sealer. I could never recommend the stuff. It's best just to fix the issue properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was going to say the same thing. As for the springs, I would guess Eibach solely based off of color.

I have some pictures on another forum of an engine (granted, not a K series) I tore apart and found head gasket sealer. I could never recommend the stuff. It's best just to fix the issue properly.
I'll look into it and see if Eibach is it, good catch!

I think I'm going to just end up paying a few grand for a reman k20a2 crate engine. Seems the simplest move, replacing mounts while its our, too.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think I'm going to just end up paying a few grand for a reman k20a2 crate engine. Seems the simplest move, replacing mounts while its our, too.
Where have you been searching for the k20a2? I think you mentioned finding one or two for around $2500 - $3K in one of your initial posts....

-G

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Where have you been searching for the k20a2? I think you mentioned finding one or two for around $2500 - $3K in one of your initial posts....

-G
Well, the one I originally found for 2k has been sold. The type r k20a engine i found has sold as well. There are used ones online between 2 to 3k, however, there are also shops offering fully rebuilt, warrantied engines for around 3500.

Today, i felt around inside of the top of the engine through the oil cap. I ran my finger over the , everything felt smoothe, and i don't see/feel any kind of scoring/grooves. I have a day off in 2 days, and will remove the top half then. I wanted to have the head machined anyway, so maybe i'll find some better news once its open.

Also, it appears I may have an aftermarket header on here too, as the one in the engine doesnt look stock to me.

·
Super Moderator
2002 DC5 Type S
2,097 Posts
headers are something that are a blessing in SS... clean soot out. The better the header less soot hahaha

I have 160,000 on my block, I decided not to rebuild it at the time. it has some more miles to go. this does not mean I wish I had rebuilt it. Everything is settled, I was not leaking much oil from the rings. it was from the valve guides and valve seals.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts