Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into the 2.6 liter stroker kits available and I haven't seen too many reasons to get one. I know they make more torque, but that's an obvious thing I would think. I'm looking to do a larger displacement k20/k24 engine, but I want to retain stock sleeves. please give me some input to make a decision to reach my goal. I want to make atleast 260whp and as much torque as possible. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
622 Posts
if you goal is only 260hp then there is no reason for a stroker kit...just stock sleeves with pistons rods,ported head and some nice cams will reach that goal no problem

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've been looking into the 2.6 liter stroker kits available and I haven't seen too many reasons to get one. I know they make more torque, but that's an obvious thing I would think. I'm looking to do a larger displacement k20/k24 engine, but I want to retain stock sleeves. please give me some input to make a decision to reach my goal. I want to make atleast 260whp and as much torque as possible. Thanks for your time.

I would only recommend this if you are looking to make power above the 350whp. mark. Some people have even been in the 400 mark as well with a 2.6L.

with stock stroke (99mm) and stock bore you can still be well above the 300whp mark with the right parts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, but only interested in all motor, thus why I'm asking here. No super chargers or spray.

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
The stroker kit will definetly give you more torque than the OEM 99mm stroke. The thing is you really don't need it if you would be happy with a 260whp 190-200wtq setup...

With a simple rod/piston combo, and a nice set of cams and valvetrain you can get those numbers.

If you want more than 200wtq the stroker kit will do it very well, while dropping your powerband down a few RPM's and easing things up on yoru valetrain a little. With the cams and valvetrain you could see similar HP numbers if not a little higher with, I would guess 10-15wtq more than the 99mm stroke. But is the cost worth the torque gains? The lower RPM power would also increase traction issues in the low gears and would have to be dealt with by trying to optimize your gearing...

my 2 cents

·
Infinite levels to this..
25,374 Posts
you really don't need a 2.6 stroker for 260whp and alot of torque. a k24 will make alot of torque with the right setup. a destroked k24 can as well. a k20 with a s2k crankshaft can make good torque and keep you in the 260 range. what are you looking to use all this torque for? auto-x, drag, just for fun?

you can talk to hytech about a build to get alot of torque. they are known for having engine combos that produce very good whp along with alot of torque. ron from ips also can give you a better combo than going 2.6 to produce your goals.

·
Registered
15,814 Posts
99mm stroke with good head and cams will make good tq.

If you only want 260whp, save yourself some money and get a 2006 tsx motor and upgrade the head with some cams and some rsx type s valvetrain.

No reason to get a stroker kit, you are correct.

For a k24a, a stroker kit comes into play when the limits of the 99mm stroke are reached... and that is way beyond 260whp... At the same time, we cannot talk about HP and tq like they are unrelated..

·
Registered
27 Posts
What about if you are looking to make around 350+ whp?

I have been toying with the idea of picking up a TSX longblock and sleeving, etc.

What do you think would be needed without breaking the bank?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
What about if you are looking to make around 350+ whp?

What do you think would be needed without breaking the bank?
You can make that with a 99 crank, but its not going to be easy or cheap.

And you definitely wont be able to drive it on the street. . .

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I guess I'll stay 2.0 for now, judging by what you guys are saying. that might be within my best interests. I was thinking about getting my head ported and polished by Pure Tuning in Ohio because I've been very impressed with them and running some aggressive Skunk2 cams while running the car on E85 and doing rods, pistons, etc. Also, I'm looking for the right intake, intake manifold combo and my bro's an engineer and he's working on dual plenum intake manifold for me. But, that's just for fun. Also, this is just my street machine/track/weekend car so it needs to be drivable everyday. If anyone still has any more info that would be valuable for me, that would be great. Thank you all for your time, I appreciate it.:up:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
a 2.6l most be a pain to drive in rainy days or snow. i drove my k24 for the first time in the rain Monday and it was not moving at all :eek: in 1st or second gear sometimes in the beginning of 3rd too on extremely light throttle so too much torque can make driving frustrating in some cases. i ended avoiding 1st gear from any stop light.

·
Registered
327 Posts
a 2.6l most be a pain to drive in rainy days or snow. i drove my k24 for the first time in the rain Monday and it was not moving at all :eek: in 1st or second gear sometimes in the beginning of 3rd too on extremely light throttle so too much torque can make driving frustrating in some cases. i ended avoiding 1st gear from any stop light.
thats why I love socal.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
thats why I love socal.....

If you want 260 whp, that would be as easy as what NIKOS recommended. Honestly I had the most fun with my bone stock k24/k20 that made 230/184. 1st gear was non existent. I then upgraded the pistons and cams and made 270 whp and 207 pounds and then upgreaded to rolling around on BFG's and that was fun, but nothing was a real challenge anymore :( Then, I went up to 290 whp and then the problems started and just been bilding the whole car over. Had I left her alone, I'd still being having fun with it. We always want more, but trust me when will you really need that "much" power on the street. You got to understand that when you are that fast your already in that top tier of cars rolling around the street, and in so cali, that speaks loudly :p

Have fun and I'm done with my 2 cents :p

·
Registered
294 Posts
hmm quick question...how long would the 2.6 last being daily driven, and how reliable may it be? with sleeves of coarse

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I would only recommend this if you are looking to make power above the 350whp. mark. Some people have even been in the 400 mark as well with a 2.6L.

with stock stroke (99mm) and stock bore you can still be well above the 300whp mark with the right parts
Listen to John, he knows what he's talking about.:up:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts