Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone has specs/pics of this diesel engine (engine designation?). The benefits I see are great fuel economy, low end torque, and a turbo. I know it wouldn't be zingy/high revving as a typical honda but this was just a thought. Is diesel fuel technology getting better in terms of pollution? If it's making 60+ mpg in a 3000 pound car, I wonder what kind of mileage you would see in an EG.

·
Registered
15,818 Posts
Interesting

Engine Data
Engine Capacity 2204 cc
Cylinders 4
Power [email protected] ( bhp / rpm )
Torque [email protected] ( lb / ft )
CO2 Emissions 153 ( g /km )

Performance
0 > 62 mph Acceleration10.1 seconds
Maximum Speed 123 mph

The Accord 2.2 i-CTDi does not disappoint. Measured across a range of criteria, the new unit delivers a blend of performance, refinement and efficiency to compete with the very best in the market. A combined fuel consumption of 52.3 (Tourer 48.7 mpg) and peak torque of 340 Nm at just 2,000 rpm, are both improvements on the benchmark Audi A4 TDi 130 and BMW 320d.

Moreover, with an output of 140 PS at 4,000 rpm, it delivers a level of responsiveness and acceleration that together with low engine noise and vibration make for extremely relaxed and comfortable motoring. High torque gives excellent acceleration and responsiveness at low speed for in-town driving, superior responsiveness and acceleration in the mid-range and sustained high speed driving at low engine speeds; it also brings the added benefit of minimal gear changing.

0-62 mph is despatched in just 9.4 seconds (Tourer 10.1 seconds) and 50-75 mph in 11.2 seconds.

This all-round performance is rounded off by low CO2 emissions – 143 and 153 g/km CO2 for the saloon and Tourer, respectively and it surpasses with ease the stringent Euro IV requirements.

Behind these statistics is a specification that includes second generation common rail direct injection, four valves per cylinder, DOHC, variable nozzle turbocharger and intercooler. Particularly significant and of paramount importance in realising the aims of the development programme is a special aluminium, closed-deck cylinder block construction. This has been made possible by an original, Honda-developed production technique that uses a semi-solid casting method to create a highly rigid, compact and lightweight engine.

The engine was developed by Honda Senior Chief Engineer Kenichi Nagahiro. Mr Nagahiro created the concept of Honda’s pioneering variable valve timing system; he was also responsible for the Indycar engine design and development programme, which in turn led to the current Formula One programme. Now he is the man in charge of the turbo diesel engine project.

Mr Nagahiro’s appointment says much about Honda’s determination to succeed with the project and is a measure of how seriously the Japanese company views the burgeoning European diesel market.

Here in Ireland, sales of the Accord diesel start in February 2004. The model will be offered in Saloon and Tourer body styles, with the Executive trim variant. Equipment will be broadly similar to the equivalent 2.0 litre i-VTEC petrol model. The diesel is expected to take approximately one quarter of all Irish Accord sales, or approximately 140 units per annum.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, a diesel Honda? and it might be Cali smog legal? Great read on the engine and performance. Closest thing I ever had was VW Rabbit diesel...ahh the smell of diesel in the morning... :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts