Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi guys im new to the forum.
im swapping a k into my 1984 CRX

I currently have a k24 long block & k20a3 long block(head is bad)
& Type S ported oil pump.
RSX: axels,ECU, wire harness, fuel rail (basically a whole rsx donor without trans.)

I understand how much fab work needs to be done to allow it to fit. vtec is a must.

currently theres a tsx block located near me for 500$. should i just Frankenstein what i have or just buy the tsx long block? honestly you guys have the best ideas, so thats the reason im here. my goal is for 400whp supercharged

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,021 Posts

RSX: axels,ECU, wire harness, fuel rail (basically a whole rsx donor without trans.)

I understand how much fab work needs to be done to allow it to fit. vtec is a must.

currently theres a tsx block located near me for 500$. should i just Frankenstein what i have or just buy the tsx long block? honestly you guys have the best ideas, so thats the reason im here. my goal is for 400whp
Which k24 do you currently have ? You could put the rbb head on the k20a3 for a poor mans type s motor

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,021 Posts

currently theres a tsx block located near me for 500$. should i just Frankenstein what i have or just buy the tsx long block? honestly you guys have the best ideas, so thats the reason im here. my goal is for 400whp
400whp with a turbo or supercharger ? To make 400 NA is quite the accomplishment. Probably north of $10,000 to get your engine completely done and then you have some very expensive bolt ons to go with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
400whp with a turbo or supercharger ? To make 400 NA is quite the accomplishment. Probably north of $10,000 to get your engine completely done and then you have some very expensive bolt ons to go with it.
Supercharger

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,024 Posts
Welcome @MFKN OG to K20a.org!

...im swapping a k into my 1984 CRX
Very nice project. Do you already have a solution for the long block height, which wont fit easily under the hood. Clearance on ground and hood leads to higher motor angles (vertical related) and the stock manifolds will hit the hood then. So only firewall direction helps if hood cutting would be not allowed at your place (like on mine ;) ).

Are you asking to modify a non-Performance VTEC head to an performance derivate?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome @MFKN OG to K20a.org!

Very nice project. Do you already have a solution for the long block height, which wont fit easily under the hood. Clearance on ground and hood leads to higher motor angles (vertical related) and the stock manifolds will hit the hood then. So only firewall direction helps if hood cutting would be not allowed at your place (like on mine ;) ).

Are you asking to modify a non-Performance VTEC head to an performance derivate?
wait you've swapped one? could i see pics of the bay? i was going to cut out the hood & push the firewall. my fabricator is going to take the measurements, once i decide which K to actually go with it. im just asking what would be smarter the k24a2 or a mix of the k20a3 & K24a4(since i already have these.)

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,024 Posts
wait you've swapped one? could i see pics of the bay? i was going to cut out the hood & push the firewall. my fabricator is going to take the measurements, once i decide which K to actually go with it. im just asking what would be smarter the k24a2 or a mix of the k20a3 & K24a4(since i already have these.)
Not myself, a friend of mine swapped one. These 4th generation Honda's are not prepared for the K-series. There are even differences of the D-series and B-series engine chassis. The B-series chassis are mostly 20 mm longer in the engine bay section and have a higher hood. But even they have issues to cover the K-series right. Beside that, these are the lightest and best driving chassis rated on their weight.

You can reduce the challenge by using a K20 engine setup. With a customized oil pan and adapted IM a K24 also fits under hood with some modifications and nicely fabbed engine brackets. We have a built threat of at least 2 CRX K24-projects. Just do a search...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I am a fellow 1st gen CRX owner. Mine is a 1986 that has a B16 in it right now but will be getting a K24a (JDM) very shortly.

check out the vtec academy live (HASport) video series. We have been working the the K series swap live on the show. We are swapping Brian’s 1st gen with a K20.

the kit we are building fits a K20a with zero hood modifications and ground clearance the same if not slightly better than the B16 swap. The kit will use the same high/low flip mounts as HASport has been using on all of its kits now. So for a K24 it looks like you will have two options. Keep the mounts at the K20 height and have to skin the support ribs from your hood. We are going to use my hood to test this as it is already skinned. Option two will require no hood modification, like the K20, but you lose 3/4 ground clearance.

people don’t realize the k series in some ways fits better in the 84-87 CRX than in the 88-91 because of the shape of the engine compartment. The 2nd gen has a lot more sloped hood and pinches more than the 1st gen.

happy to answer any questions on the swap. Hoping the kit will be available very soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welcome to the forum, I am a fellow 1st gen CRX owner. Mine is a 1986 that has a B16 in it right now but will be getting a K24a (JDM) very shortly.

check out the vtec academy live (HASport) video series. We have been working the the K series swap live on the show. We are swapping Brian’s 1st gen with a K20.

the kit we are building fits a K20a with zero hood modifications and ground clearance the same if not slightly better than the B16 swap. The kit will use the same high/low flip mounts as HASport has been using on all of its kits now. So for a K24 it looks like you will have two options. Keep the mounts at the K20 height and have to skin the support ribs from your hood. We are going to use my hood to test this as it is already skinned. Option two will require no hood modification, like the K20, but you lose 3/4 ground clearance.

people don’t realize the k series in some ways fits better in the 84-87 CRX than in the 88-91 because of the shape of the engine compartment. The 2nd gen has a lot more sloped hood and pinches more than the 1st gen.

happy to answer any questions on the swap. Hoping the kit will be available very soon.
Do you have a link to the hasport mounts you’ll be using?

·
Registered
103 Posts
We are developing them right now. Left and right mounts are basically done other than some small tweaks to ensure there are no clearance issues. Rear mount is being recut as we made some changes from the original one. Much smaller now and it will accommodate either the Ktuned style header or the skunk style that has the runners along side each other.

very, very close so if you haven’t started building your own you may want to wait. We have had the K20 motor hanging in Brian‘s car a dozen times now and the figment is great. The plan is once the changes are made to test fit the K24a2 with my hood to ensure it fits. Then do a test fit of the mounts in a 84-87 Civic HB with both motors to ensure it fits as well.

we will also be using my car, street legal 86 CRX, in a video series on the swap that HASport will post up to help others with their swaps.

hope this helps some

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We are developing them right now. Left and right mounts are basically done other than some small tweaks to ensure there are no clearance issues. Rear mount is being recut as we made some changes from the original one. Much smaller now and it will accommodate either the Ktuned style header or the skunk style that has the runners along side each other.

very, very close so if you haven’t started building your own you may want to wait. We have had the K20 motor hanging in Brian‘s car a dozen times now and the figment is great. The plan is once the changes are made to test fit the K24a2 with my hood to ensure it fits. Then do a test fit of the mounts in a 84-87 Civic HB with both motors to ensure it fits as well.

we will also be using my car, street legal 86 CRX, in a video series on the swap that HASport will post up to help others with their swaps.

hope this helps some
did yall finish developing them yet?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Left and right mounts are basically done. Small tweaks are being made to the final version to ensure the part that bolts to the transmission doesn’t touch the frame. Rear mount has been completely redesigned and waiting on cutting a new one. Brian got backed up when the laser went down and he had to complete some parts for Honda Racing. He said during the show last week it’s back to the top of the list. I have a race at the end of October and he feels my car will be done in time for the race. That means mounts will be out before that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Left and right mounts are basically done. Small tweaks are being made to the final version to ensure the part that bolts to the transmission doesn’t touch the frame. Rear mount has been completely redesigned and waiting on cutting a new one. Brian got backed up when the laser went down and he had to complete some parts for Honda Racing. He said during the show last week it’s back to the top of the list. I have a race at the end of October and he feels my car will be done in time for the race. That means mounts will be out before that.
okay cool, im planning on thitting he airstrip attack in Abilene,TX oct 16-17. itd be great if i can grab a set before then.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I am pushing as are others. If you can and want hop on the Vtec Academy live YouTube live show every Tuesday. Brian takes questions live and the more people ask the more it helps move things to the top of his list. He said this swap kit is but the more he hears of people wanting it helps.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts