Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to my journal for my 03 Premium White Pearl RSX Type Slow-I mean Type S. I have a JDM STi Swapped First Gen Subaru Impreza coupe for my weekend/track car, so the RSX wont be getting too crazy(but I cant ever just leave a car stock so there is that). The main purpose of this car is a fun and economical daily driver.

The day I picked it up; 160K miles, clean title for $4,000 not bad!

Mod list:

Brakes:
Drilled and Slotted Rotors F&R

Engine:
-K&N Typhoon Short Ram Intake
-K24 "HONDA" Valve cover painted Wrinkle red like the ITR.

Interior:
-Type R Gauge Cluster(I like the clean speedo with out the extra scale)
-EP3 Type R steering wheel
-Subaru MOMO Shift Knob
-Black Interior Conversion
*2006 RSX Base cloth seats F&R

Drivetrain:
-Buddyclub Short Shifter

Exterior:
-Integra Type R Spoiler
-HID Retrofit
*Matsushita Gen IV Ballasts(off an STi)
*Morimoto 5.0 D2S Bixenon Projectors
*Phillips CBI Capsules(Bulbs)
*Apollo 2.0 Full Circle Shrouds

Wheels & Tires:
-Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII GSR Enkei Wheels
*17x8 +35
-Federal 595 Super Steels
*215-45-17

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
A friend of mine had a JDM Type R cluster lying around and he gave it to me in trade for a couple parts I cut for him at work on the waterjet at work.

Looks a lot cleaner that the US Type S cluster since there isn't the other scale in the speedo, and the higher redline is perfect for a Hondata reflash which I'm thinking about doing already. The R stands for rice after all anyway right?:lmao:

Does anyone know the Fix for the SRS code 15-2 for the Passenger airbag off light that is missing on the Type R cluster?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant stand the "Titanium" grandpa Tan interior that unfortunately comes on all the PWP RSXs. I am starting to collect all black interior bits and I would love to find a set of the 05/06 base cloth seats.

So far just door cards off Cragis list for $40 bucks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I love the wrinkle red valve cover on the DC5 ITR, time for a DIY!

I found a K24 valve cover at the junkyard off a 03 Honda accord for $20 This one has the same "HONDA" txt as the ITR cover(and everybody says the older K24 covers are interchangeable with the K20A2).

After a good cleaning and roughing up with 320 grit sandpaper:

Masking the spark plug holes, valve cover bolts and bolt bosses is much easier if you cut out the circles with a compass.

First few coats of VHT Wrinkle Red:

Some heat gun action after the last coat(I wanted to bake it but my wife wouldn't like it if she found me baking a valve cover in the oven ahahaha) :

A close up of the texture(I'm really impressed with how well it works. Not bad at all for a rattle can).

Now it needs to dry for a couple days before I sand off the paint from the Honda logo and I install it(probably do a valve adjustment and make sure the timing chain hasn't stretched while I'm in there.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,849 Posts
Welcome to my journal for my 03 Premium White Pearl RSX Type Slow-I mean Type S. I have a JDM STi Swapped First Gen Subaru Impreza coupe for my weekend/track car, so the RSX wont be getting too crazy(but I cant ever just leave a car stock so there is that). The main purpose of this car is a fun and economical daily drive...
Welcome to K20a.org 181stLeader :). I am not sure if the STI will keep his status of an WW (weekend warrior) if you did taste the Honda K-series virus :D. No engine makes so much fun than one with such a wide revving band...with the STI you do more shifting when hitting easily the 7000 rpm redline. I am curious how long you will resist :wink:.

I am looking forward to see you get tuned it, latest after this you got affected with the K-series virus :D.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can already see this is going to turn into the classic "Bought a daily.....(few months later).....I need a new daily" scenarios lol.

Car looks neat and great job on the valve cover!

Looking forward to updates

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome to K20a.org 181stLeader :). I am not sure if the STI will keep his status of an WW (weekend warrior) if you did taste the Honda K-series virus :D. No engine makes so much fun than one with such a wide revving band...with the STI you do more shifting when hitting easily the 7000 rpm redline. I am curious how long you will resist :wink:.

I am looking forward to see you get tuned it, latest after this you got affected with the K-series virus :D.
Ah! But you see I have the JDM EJ207 which has a redline of 8,000rpm and is smooth as butter all the way through the rev range. The K20a2 feels like the EJ207s little brother. I do feel like the FWD platform of the DC5 is holding the k20s potential back. Probably why I have seen a guy swap a k20 into a USDM STi.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,849 Posts
Ah! But you see I have the JDM EJ207 which has a redline of 8,000rpm and is smooth as butter all the way through the rev range. The K20a2 feels like the EJ207s little brother. I do feel like the FWD platform of the DC5 is holding the k20s potential back. Probably why I have seen a guy swap a k20 into a USDM STi.
Oh, tough competitor engine here. The old 8.0:1 CR engine (EJ207) is really a tough guy concerning power. The other side of the coin is the worse fuel economy, a turbo'd K-series always can beat. A boosted K-series in a RWD is a blast, therefore I keep it NA :D.

Anyway, I am looking forward what kind of modification processes we will see here.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh for sure, the K will take any Subaru engine on economy. My guess is even a turbo K would still get close to factory mpg if you stay out of boost. Being able to run an economy can down low and a performance cam up top all at the same time is a pretty neat trick I do say. I-VTEC ftw!

The K series are a fine bit of engineering that’s for sure. Plus the aftermarket support seems near endless.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,849 Posts
Oh for sure, the K will take any Subaru engine on economy. My guess is even a turbo K would still get close to factory mpg if you stay out of boost. Being able to run an economy can down low and a performance cam up top all at the same time is a pretty neat trick I do say. I-VTEC ftw!
The core of the virus, you unraveled it already :D.

The K series are a fine bit of engineering that’s for sure. Plus the aftermarket support seems near endless.
Yeah, I would go even further, in the late 90'ies, where the first VTEC bikes came out of Honda doors this was a real masterstroke. None of the engine of the early 2000 was able to compete with the K-series of Honda when it comes to NA emission, economy and power in one product. The F20C engine, which was also a famous VTEC engine (S2000 Honda engine), was certificated for SULEV in the early 2000's, which was the most challenging emission standard that time. Combining the VTEC with the cam phasing is like pulling horizontal torque curves over 1000's of rpm bandwidth. Having this is way beyond German engine level (all VW, some BMW and most Daimler engines) that time. But having this in a long block which is capable of up to 600 whp/liter with just 95 kg weight is a real masterstroke.

The Honda K-series aftermarket, thanks to the US drag scene, is one of the best. This makes the K-series engine to the most popular NA tuners engine of the I4 market. The F20C engine head may have a bit better ports and the better stroke for revving, but the most chassis are FWD. So the market found quick it's way into the K-series and the swap scene in everything. For me it is the best engine for the Lotus Elise. Nothing else will ever touch my cars enginebay, except I got a Synergy 2 Liter V8 in my hand...LOL :D.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finished the Type R style valve cover, I didn't like that the VHT color shade was a bit too orange so I went over it again with Satin Apple Red paint, and now it looks much better. I also sprayed the coil pack cover with metallic silver and clear coat.

I need to pick up a new valve cover gasket then I can install it.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,849 Posts
Finished the Type R style valve cover, I didn't like that the VHT color shade was a bit too orange so I went over it again with Satin Apple Red paint, and now it looks much better. I also sprayed the coil pack cover with metallic silver and clear coat.
Looks very nice. Mine is actually also at the lacquer...that Satin Apple Red looks really shiny...thanks for your hint!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Installed the cover(New VC gasket), checked the timing to make sure the chain hasn't stretched and checked the valve clearance. All good!

Before and after giving the engine bay a detailing

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Niiiiiice :up:. You still stick to keep the engine like it is?
For now yeah, there are many other things to do first before engine stuff.
  • Black interior swap
  • HID Projector Retrofit
  • Polish headlights and black out the chrome
  • Wheels and tires
  • Handeling mods that don’t make the the ride super crappy(I’m thinking some sway bars are in order.
  • A-Spec/ITR Spoiler
Down the line I think I’ll do the Hondata Reflash(it checks all the boxes, 95% of peak tq availible at 2800-8000rpm, VTEC limit lowered to 5200, and 8600 rpm, shut up and take my money Ahahaha!). I suppose I need an intake as well according to Hondata.

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,849 Posts
Down the line I think I’ll do the Hondata Reflash(it checks all the boxes, 95% of peak tq availible at 2800-8000rpm, VTEC limit lowered to 5200, and 8600 rpm, shut up and take my money Ahahaha!). I suppose I need an intake as well according to Hondata.
Now it began :D. Look better for Doctronic, much better support and cheaper. Of course Hondata says an CAI would be good. To utilize the potential of tuning the engine need to get rid of the restrictions: intake, header, exhaust, ...and there we are in the rat race :D.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I looked at their website but they don’t say much about what their reflash does. I dont need an aftermarket ecu at this point.

Does an exhaust actually do much on theses cars? In my opinion they don’t sound all that great(but I’m coming from a Subie with the classic UEL header boxer rumble). At least the K Series sounds better than the B. I’m not down for a angled fart can full of angry bees...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Exhaust does make a big difference yes, especially if you can fit a better flowing CAT or delete it altogether.

Consider getting a plug and play stand alone management. A reflash is already some ways to that cost and if you're already considering mods, you'll outgrow the reflash pretty quick. It's the nature of the beast, once we start fiddling it's impossible to slow down and given that the RSX has untold amount of available parts, this is going to happen sooner than later

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
5,849 Posts
I looked at their website but they don’t say much about what their reflash does. I dont need an aftermarket ecu at this point.
A K20A (1, 2, 3, ...) engines can't be flashed, only the K20Z (1, 2, 3, ...) engines can be flashed. Your engine has a PRB IM, is produced in '03 and is therefore very likely an K20A2 engine, which isn't reflashable! What you need is Doctronic, Hondata KPro or similar like Hondata K100. Please check this out, before following the wrong path.

...I’m not down for a angled fart can full of angry bees...
Nice phrase :D. Does it mean you are not interested in noisy exhaust sound?

Exhaust does make a big difference yes, especially if you can fit a better flowing CAT or delete it altogether.
:up:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
A K20A (1, 2, 3, ...) engines can't be flashed, only the K20Z (1, 2, 3, ...) engines can be flashed. Your engine has a PRB IM, is produced in '03 and is therefore very likely an K20A2 engine, which isn't reflashable! What you need is Doctronic, Hondata KPro or similar like Hondata K100. Please check this out, before following the wrong path.

Nice phrase :D. Does it mean you are not interested in noisy exhaust sound?

:up:
Yup it’s a K20A2 for sure, hmmm Hondata says the 02-04 RSX-S ECU is reflashable:
https://www.hondata.com/reflash-rsx-s-2002
You do have to send them your ecu, immobilizer unit, and chipped key for them to do it. I thought I read it was the 05/06 that wasn’t flashable.

The thing I like about these guys is it seems looks like you can get a credit for what you paid for the reflash if you want to upgrade to the K-Pro ecu later which is pretty cool.

As for the exhaust, I don’t want soemthing loud for sure(I can’t stand highway drone in the cabin) I would prefer something with a deeper tone, maybe an Invidia Q300? The cops are cracking down in SoCal nowadays since this stupid kids have been taking over intersections and doing donuts in front of the crowd that gathers.

While I have heard that these cars respond well to mods I am coming from the subie world where a intake exhaust and reflash can net you 50hp/50tq gain easy.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts