Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

681 - 688 of 688 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
thanks for the confirm. to bad honda never marked their cams. maybe cause they all use the same cores. the rx numbers must mean something most likely core production runs or mold numbers but to us that means nothing. if we can get a baseline on all four revisions then identifying r cams will be easier if you got a cam doc. need to get some known 000 010 020 030 cams and they need to be tested and measured every way possible to find the differences. have you seen changes in center-line or duration in the r cam variations yet?
i saw an advertisement for the face-lift itr and it stated that it had slightly more aggressive revised cams. paraphrasing not exact words maybe it can be found online still i will check for it.
the manufacturer said in general their has been no changes made but the test driver stated that it appears to have a wider torque band. since he was testing a 2005 it must have 020 cams.
check this out on you tube and read between the lines INTEGRA Type R MEGA TEST & BATTLE could be fixed though

·
Registered
17 Posts
yea thats the best set up on k20...runs real strong across the whole power band and feels and drives like stock...but only worth it if u can do the labor yourself..if not go with go power or hytech cams..

·
Registered
3 Posts
napes, the K20R/Z1 cams are superior to the Z3 in power output, not by a whole whole lot but significant enough to swing in favor of the R/Z1 cams.

The hierarchy from best to meh oem K20 cams:

K20R
Z1
Z3
A2

You could throw TSX up in the mix, but for overall usable power, R/Z1's hands down for K20x use.
Hi Guys, an question.
I purchased an k20A2 and I want to recoon and upgraded it.
I thinked on these parts, I sorry if my english is not good.
Ported head with intake valves +1mm
Pistons of k20A 11.5 CR or 11.8 CR. (OEM)
Lightweight flywheel.
Intake manifold RRC or skunk 2 street series.
70mm throttle body.
ALC trimetal bearings.
Intake cam k20A.
Intake rocket.(I assume that I need it to get all intake figures)
And here is where appears my doubts.
I want the intake cam and rocket of k20A, the version of 225Hp, but I see several reference numbers.
By example intake cam k20a, 14110-PRC-000, 14110-PRC-020, 14110-PRC-030, rocket axle 14631-PNA-000,14631-PNE-000.
Somebody can you let me know the correct intake cam and rocket of these parts?
Thx
V

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #685
Hi Guys, an question.
I purchased an k20A2 and I want to recoon and upgraded it.
I thinked on these parts, I sorry if my english is not good.
Ported head with intake valves +1mm
Pistons of k20A 11.5 CR or 11.8 CR. (OEM)
Lightweight flywheel.
Intake manifold RRC or skunk 2 street series.
70mm throttle body.
ALC trimetal bearings.
Intake cam k20A.
Intake rocket.(I assume that I need it to get all intake figures)
And here is where appears my doubts.
I want the intake cam and rocket of k20A, the version of 225Hp, but I see several reference numbers.
By example intake cam k20a, 14110-PRC-000, 14110-PRC-020, 14110-PRC-030, rocket axle 14631-PNA-000,14631-PNE-000.
Somebody can you let me know the correct intake cam and rocket of these parts?
Thx
V
I believe 14110-PRC-030 is the latest/last revision of the K20R camshaft and is the same cam found in the JDM FD2 K20A's. Its slightly revised over the DC5/EP3 K20A-R intake cam.

Why are you needing to change out the rocker shaft (rocket axle)? For whatever reason, you'll want 14631-PNA-000 shaft as this is the one used on the K20A-R/Z1/Z3 and JDM K24A-RBB/K24A2 engines. You don't want the 14631-PNE-000 shaft as that one is for the economy K20A/A3 version engines and works with the 2-lobe intake cam/1-lobe exhaust cam.

Your K20A2 shouldnt need a rocker shaft change though as it comes with the correct shaft for 3-lobed cams like a K20A-R.

I would suggest you run the corresponding exhaust K20R cam as well. Mixing cams showed power losses with the testing I've done on a K20A.

What header are you running? If you go with the Skunk2 Pro manifold or ultra street, I'd highly suggest running their Alpha header if this is going into a K-swapped 88-00 civic/90-01 integra. Those parts work well together when properly tuned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe 14110-PRC-030 is the latest/last revision of the K20R camshaft and is the same cam found in the JDM FD2 K20A's. Its slightly revised over the DC5/EP3 K20A-R intake cam.

Why are you needing to change out the rocker shaft (rocket axle)? For whatever reason, you'll want 14631-PNA-000 shaft as this is the one used on the K20A-R/Z1/Z3 and JDM K24A-RBB/K24A2 engines. You don't want the 14631-PNE-000 shaft as that one is for the economy K20A/A3 version engines and works with the 2-lobe intake cam/1-lobe exhaust cam.

Your K20A2 shouldnt need a rocker shaft change though as it comes with the correct shaft for 3-lobed cams like a K20A-R.

I would suggest you run the corresponding exhaust K20R cam as well. Mixing cams showed power losses with the testing I've done on a K20A.

What header are you running? If you go with the Skunk2 Pro manifold or ultra street, I'd highly suggest running their Alpha header if this is going into a K-swapped 88-00 civic/90-01 integra. Those parts work well together when properly tuned.
Dear Katman

Well, first of all, I want to say thank you very much for your response.

I have no experience in this engine, so I know a little about it.

I try to become my K20A2 in K20A, (220Hp approx.) With the maximum possible OEM parts.

I thinked I need to change the axis of the rocket to get to the figures cams needed to have K20A.

But if mine is the same, it's fine for me.

I thought about buying the Skunk2 ultra street manifold with K20A2 head with + 1 mm inlet valves and improve the CFM.

I don't know what "Alpha" is.

This is an intake manifold, throttle body?

Another question, can I use the K20A2 OEM throttle body or I need another one for 70MM?

I mean, OEM throttle body compared to 70MM make loses power?

Any price / quality advice?

Is it worth the effort to make a new re-bore in the OEM K20A2?

All the best and thanks in advance

Vicente

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
Hi Vicente,

I wouldn't bother with the oversized intake valves. R engines dont run larger valves if you're trying to build a poorman's type-R out of the K20A2.

by Alpha, i meant skunk2's Alpha kswap header:
https://skunk2.com/exhaust-tuning/headers/alpha-kseries-swap-header.html

The skunk ultra street is a worthy manifold to use. you can use your stock throttlebody on it if you wish, it won't hurt power. 70mm would breathe better up top and compliment the ultra street manifold but its not mandatory.

boring your block .25 or .50 over isn't a bad idea as it will give you some small displacement gains. You could run K24A TSX pistons if go 1mm over bore but thats max on the stock sleeves you'll wanna go. But if your block is fine and doesnt need an overbore job, dont bother.. might as well go K24 block if you're going to throw money if you want more displacement out of the k20 unless you're a hardcore k20 fan =)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Vicente,

I wouldn't bother with the oversized intake valves. R engines dont run larger valves if you're trying to build a poorman's type-R out of the K20A2.

by Alpha, i meant skunk2's Alpha kswap header:
https://skunk2.com/exhaust-tuning/headers/alpha-kseries-swap-header.html

The skunk ultra street is a worthy manifold to use. you can use your stock throttlebody on it if you wish, it won't hurt power. 70mm would breathe better up top and compliment the ultra street manifold but its not mandatory.

boring your block .25 or .50 over isn't a bad idea as it will give you some small displacement gains. You could run K24A TSX pistons if go 1mm over bore but thats max on the stock sleeves you'll wanna go. But if your block is fine and doesnt need an overbore job, dont bother.. might as well go K24 block if you're going to throw money if you want more displacement out of the k20 unless you're a hardcore k20 fan =)

Dear Katman

Thanks very much for yours advices.

I do not sure if I place the k24 pistons, the CR (compression ratio) will be 11.5/1

I want obtain around it, not much more and not less if it is possible.

Do you know the diameter of gasket fire rings k20 or I neededs use k24 gasket head if I place bigger pistons?

I do not have problem in re-bored the block or put a new liners to get the maximun pistons diameters if there are a real gain on torque and power, because I have to buy the k20A pistons, so I can buy another one pistons.

Also anyway I go to go with the block to the machinist to honed the liners to have a perfect round.

The las doubt is OEM bearings or ACL Race. I need safety and try do the more Kms number possible.

What is the expertise here with ACL race bearing?

All the best and many thanks in advance

Vicente

681 - 688 of 688 Posts