41 - 60 of 688 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
hey signal...

After reading this link your FAQ
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2356

Yeah those R#'s are just random. How lamerz.

Guess I'll drop the batman n' robin investigayshun patterns I was hoping to find.
Now focusing on the inner and outter ring differences..

·
Registered
4,294,967,295 Posts
hey signal...

After reading this link your FAQ
http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2356

Yeah those R#'s are just random. How lamerz.

Guess I'll drop the batman n' robin investigayshun patterns I was hoping to find.
Now focusing on the inner and outter ring differences..
I think that the numbers still hold some merit. If nothing else we may learn why they are stamped like this.
Often during the beginning of a production run there are mishaps and errors in keeping track of changes, whether due to material, supplier, production station, technique, design etc. I think that this might be a reason for the differences in the numbers on the original sets of R cams.

·
Registered
16 Posts
now since i am a noob im not sure which ones i should get. i have a 06 si with the k20z3. i want to do cams but not sure which to get after reading this thread. can someone direct me to which intake and exhaust cam to get? i know the 09 tsx makes more tq but does that have anything to do with the cams.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
hey KatMan, where are the Mic values on the '06-08 TSX cams?

Ok I bought some measuring calipers the other day.

here's the results of the 06 TSX bumpys:

Intake:
pri & sec lobes 33.40mm
VTEC lobe 35.55mm

Exhaust:
pri & sec lobes 33.07mm
VTEC lobe 35.24mm

I have a set of 02-04 A2 cams here I'll be measuring in a bit..

·
Registered
321 Posts
now since i am a noob im not sure which ones i should get. i have a 06 si with the k20z3. i want to do cams but not sure which to get after reading this thread. can someone direct me to which intake and exhaust cam to get? i know the 09 tsx makes more tq but does that have anything to do with the cams.
if you're looking for a cheap upgrade cam wise, find any tsx exhaust cam then retune. if you dont have kpro, get that first.
or upgrade to toruku street cams which do not need a valvetrain upgrade, and retune with kpro.

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you're looking for a cheap upgrade cam wise, find any tsx exhaust cam then retune. if you dont have kpro, get that first.
or upgrade to toruku street cams which do not need a valvetrain upgrade, and retune with kpro.
thanks. unfortunatly hondata has not released k-pro for th new si's. they are going to call it something different and its going to be a piggyback from the rumors i have heard. i just found this website and it appears that all the k series guru's come here. what should i do for the intake cam?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
We're still getting comparison data on the Z3 cams, which !LL W!LL helped me with last week. If I were you, I would just be content with the Z3 cams for now, but I think getting a 06-08 TSX exh. cammy would be a decent upgrade.

The torque difference between a TSX engine and your Z3 engine comes from different liter sizes either engine has. not so much the cams.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We're still getting comparison data on the Z3 cams, which !LL W!LL helped me with last week. If I were you, I would just be content with the Z3 cams for now...

The torque difference between a TSX engine and your Z3 engine comes from different liter sizes either engine has. not so much the cams.
well on www.8thcivic.com there are some people that have been using the 06+ tsx cams in our car and have got pretty good results. i was just curious if i could mix and match intake and exhaust cams for more power. what do you think. i am to the point that i either do boost or nitrous and right now i am scared to do nitrous because with my luck i will screw something up and when the bottle goes dry i am back to square one and im kinda poor so i cant afford boost. i figured i could drop a few hundred bucks on cams and maybe get a few more ponies.

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
well on www.8thcivic.com there are some people that have been using the 06+ tsx cams in our car and have got pretty good results. i was just curious if i could mix and match intake and exhaust cams for more power. what do you think. i am to the point that i either do boost or nitrous and right now i am scared to do nitrous because with my luck i will screw something up and when the bottle goes dry i am back to square one and im kinda poor so i cant afford boost. i figured i could drop a few hundred bucks on cams and maybe get a few more ponies.
well..
So far our comparison data is showing that possilby one of the Z3 cams is already that of or the same spec as an 06-08 TSX cam. I can't recall if it was the intake or exhaust. We'll have this data sorta out soon...

·
Registered
16 Posts
well..
So far our comparison data is showing that possilby one of the Z3 cams is already that of or the same spec as an 06-08 TSX cam. I can't recall if it was the intake or exhaust. We'll have this data sorta out soon...
thanks a lot guys. i will definatly keep posted. sorry but i kinda needed this spelled out. i just got confused very quickly.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
katman this is great stuff, ive used your cam camparison pics and wiring and pinout pics so many times over the years

·
Registered
321 Posts
well..
k20z3 exhaust cam is a stock 02-04 prb exhaust cam.
this can be verified by the part number.

that is why i suggested he upgrade to a tsx exhaust cam and not the intake.
i have suspicions that since his engine comes stock with the RBC intake manifold, it has got to have a very aggressive intake cam to match up with it.

others have verified already achieving respectable numbers with the z3 cams alone, i suppose a tsx exhaust cam, which is the most aggressive oem exhaust cam, can only help. with tuning of course..not sure about just dropping it in with the stock z3 basemap if you don't have kpro.

·
Registered
16 Posts
k20z3 exhaust cam is a stock 02-04 prb exhaust cam.
this can be verified by the part number.

that is why i suggested he upgrade to a tsx exhaust cam and not the intake.
i have suspicions that since his engine comes stock with the RBC intake manifold, it has got to have a very aggressive intake cam to match up with it.

others have verified already achieving respectable numbers with the z3 cams alone, i suppose a tsx exhaust cam, which is the most aggressive oem exhaust cam, can only help. with tuning of course..not sure about just dropping it in with the stock z3 basemap if you don't have kpro.
i have the hondata reflash which i know does not tune but people have got about 5 whp gains with just dropping in the cams. dont ask me how but they have. no one has tuned there cars because we dont have it available. they put the intake and exhaust cam from the 06+ tsx in theirs tho. i was hoping you guys would know of a better intake cam.

·
Registered
321 Posts
i have the hondata reflash which i know does not tune but people have got about 5 whp gains with just dropping in the cams. dont ask me how but they have. no one has tuned there cars because we dont have it available. they put the intake and exhaust cam from the 06+ tsx in theirs tho. i was hoping you guys would know of a better intake cam.
i have reason to believe you have the best oem intake cam already

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
that makes me fell better about my car. so actually going with the 06+tsx intake cam would actually be worse than keeping with the stock cam

Well, it hasn't been fully confirmed yet, but an 06+ Si intake cam may be the same cam profile as an 06+ TSX intake cam, just with a different part number. I would just wait until this has been confirmed which shouldn't be too long of a wait. Perhaps by next week I might have some info on this..

If you're looking for something better than OEM cams, why not shop around for aftermarket cams? BP, IPS, Toda are all reputable aftermarket cam choices..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, it hasn't been fully confirmed yet, but an 06+ Si intake cam may be the same cam profile as an 06+ TSX intake cam, just with a different part number. I would just wait until this has been confirmed which shouldn't be too long of a wait. Perhaps by next week I might have some info on this..

If you're looking for something better than OEM cams, why not shop around for aftermarket cams? BP, IPS, Toda are all reputable aftermarket cam choices..
i have but we dont have tuning. i want a drop in set of cams.

41 - 60 of 688 Posts