Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

21 - 40 of 688 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
I'm gonna meet up with "allmotorjunkbox" and we will pic up the 02-04 Type S VS. 04 TSX cams!

I will also bring out a micrometer and maybe we can measure lift on the two sets!

I'll keep you all posted!
glad i could help out:up:

gettinafit, is a real cool dude. good luck with ur build bro, if you need anything else, u got my number juss give me a call.

nice info on this thread:up:

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
A homie from the hybrid forum just so happened to look up the 09 TSX cams and look at what his curiosity found....

08 TSX:

09 TSX:

look at that exhaust cammage! ew!
I wonder what the intake cam lobes have to offer over 06-08's! (if any)

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for sharing your findings fellas!

Why don't you mic-up those came you have and measure lift as well. It's an easy measurement.
If i can get my hands on a mic I will!

Any more info on these brackets? Curious as to what you are using them for.
I'm planning on or i should say having throttle cable brackets made for K-series swaps so you don't have to run the funky angled GSR style RSX throttle cable bracket with a K swap (used in conjunction with a GSR throttle cable); and also a custom bracket for the thermo heater switch.

The heater switch is something people have to get customized if they want to retain their climate control operations. This will alleviate any hassle for having to get one made by some local fabricater.

Since I'm ramblin about this, I'm in the process of starting up an online store with a handful of unique products for K-series swaps that I have up my sleeve that no one seems to sell yet... :up:

·
Registered
919 Posts
dam, those are some nice ass pics. Install and dyno those things already.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A homie from the hybrid forum just so happened to look up the 09 TSX cams and look at what his curiosity found....

08 TSX:

09 TSX:

look at that exhaust cammage! ew!
I wonder what the intake cam lobes have to offer over 06-08's! (if any)

Those '09 TSX cams look like the K20A3 style Vtec.........

I hope they haven't killed the TSX!

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,644 Posts
09 TSX Exhaust cam FTL!!!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
great job Katman!!

Any other updates since then?

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
wow.

so since the camshaft is so different we can also say the valve train is also? :wow:

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
wow.

so since the camshaft is so different we can also say the valve train is also? :wow:
..for the 09 TSX?

Speaking of the 09 TSX (k24Z3), its interesting to see the power output is making more TQ than the 04-08. I wonder if this is due to the changed K20A3 style cam (and possibly better cam profile?) setup and/or a possibly new intake manifold setup.

K24Z3: 201 @ 7000 rpm / Torque: 172 ft·lbf (MT), 170 ft·lbf (AT) @ 4300 rpm

K24A2 (04-08) Power: 205 hp (150 kW) @ 6800 rpm / Torque: 164 ft·lbf (222 N·m) @ 4500 rpm

·
Registered
277 Posts
..for the 09 TSX?

Speaking of the 09 TSX (k24Z3), its interesting to see the power output is making more TQ than the 04-08. I wonder if this is due to the changed K20A3 style cam (and possibly better cam profile?) setup and/or a possibly new intake manifold setup.

K24Z3: 201 @ 7000 rpm / Torque: 172 ft·lbf (MT), 170 ft·lbf (AT) @ 4300 rpm

K24A2 (04-08) Power: 205 hp (150 kW) @ 6800 rpm / Torque: 164 ft·lbf (222 N·m) @ 4500 rpm
.i would rule intake manifold out..i seen the 09 tsx motor today..and it looks very similar to the 09 accord motor ...dont like design...head comes out half way out to plastic intake manifold..like the newer civic r18 motors..i think they killed the tsx......a3 style:down:..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey GettiN,

Did you take note of what the R#'s were on both sets of cams during your shoot?
There are different R#'s on all 4 cams, but from what I've read, the R#'s are not a good way of telling the difference in the Cam you are looking at. It is just the serial of the casting used to make the core cam I believe.

I can check it out and report. But hey KatMan, where are the Mic values on the '06-08 TSX cams?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
There are different R#'s on all 4 cams, but from what I've read, the R#'s are not a good way of telling the difference in the Cam you are looking at. It is just the serial of the casting used to make the core cam I believe.

I can check it out and report. But hey KatMan, where are the Mic values on the '06-08 TSX cams?
If you could find out please do!
I agree that the R#'s may be a casting number of some sort, but maybe not!
I'm taking notes and making a list of the R#'s on all K cams I come across or someone shares.
Trying to see if there's a possible pattern.

Speaking of R#'s..
!LL W!ll snapped some pics of Z1 and Z3 cams for me the other day.
The Z1 intake has the same R# as a DC5-R int. cam (R1) which makes sense because the Z1 uses DC5-R cams (or at least the intake cam), but the exhaust cam has a different R# which is R3 (DC5R exh. is R1) and the lobes have a weaker profile than the Z3 exh. cam....

I haven't had the chance to mic the TSX cams yet. I need to pick up a Mic first! :p

Here's my current log of R#'s:

01+ K20AR - int. R1 / exh. R1
05-06 K20Z1 - int. R1 / exh. R3
06+ K20Z3 - int. R6 / exh. R4
06-08 K24A2 - int. R5 / exh. R2

·
Premium Member
9,294 Posts
k series is so much more confusing :p

I remember the pics u took for the itr cams..;

if it was only that simple :p

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I like where this is going Katman, some good solid data :up:
Should be good for those pesky racing classes that require oem parts :D
Thanks! and thats what this whole thread is about...solid OEM specs! :dance:

Katman, can you get diagrams on the 09 rocker assemblies?

eh...i can try.
For now the diagrams I linked are the only ones that were shared wit me..

21 - 40 of 688 Posts