Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 688 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be on the late bus with this information (forgive me if i am!) but it seems (to me) that there's some mystery surrounding the '06 TSX camshafts (at least from what I've gathered). We know the exhaust cam is the one to get, but whatabout the intake cam??

Well, I scored a brand new set of '06 TSX cams recently (thanks to d5civic!) and have access to a brand new set of DC5-R cams. So i took it upon myself to shoot comparison pics of both cam sets. I did this same thing for B-series engines a few years ago.

First thing I looked for was any markings, numbers, anything at all, that would make either cam set stand apart from each other. What urks me is that I'm not sure what 02-04 & 05-06 Type-S markings may share or have on their own in contrast to these 2 cam sets. Although I believe the 05-06 Type-S use DC5-R cams now if I'm not mistaken.

So here's what I found.
I'll let the pictures do the talking.

I'm not sure if the "Rx" numbers are a definite way of telling K-series OEM cams apart. I need to get my hands on Type-S cams and 04-05 TSX cams to be reassured.

Now right off the bat, when eye balled the lobes, there was signifigant differences with the primary & secondary lobes on both intake and exhaust bump sticks... (I might have my primaries & secondaries mixed up, but you get the idea).

So that's it for now!
I plan to use both TSX cams in my K20R w/RBC manifold and do a baseline dyno run as well as a tuned run.

Anyone care to let me borrow a set of 02-04 type-S & 04-05 TSX cams for knowledge sakes?

:cool::up:

·
Premium Member
7,171 Posts
Anyone care to let me borrow a set of 02-04 type-S & 04-05 TSX cams for knowledge sakes?
I'm shipping out a set of 04' RSX-S cams and a set of 04' TSX cams today. The guy needs them by Fri or I'd let you barrow them... I can snap a few pics before I package them up if you want? confirm the R numbers or what not... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
321 Posts
i have some 02-04 RSX TYPE-S cams you can borrow.
i'm in so cal.
theyre uninstalled and have no cam gears.
pm me if you want me to meet up with you.

some info from hondata:
"Cams:

The exhaust cam is bigger on the primaries and secondary lobes than any other Honda made K series cam. The intake has larger primary lobes than any other K series Honda cam and a type R secondary lobe. If you have to use Honda cams, use 06 TSX cams."

http://www.hondata.com/tech_06_tsx.html

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool pics, the 05+type s cams are not the type r cams, they are Z1 cams which are in between the type r and the A2
hmm...good to know.
It would be nice to get my hands on a set to know for sure and have physical evidence and pics!

I'm shipping out a set of 04' RSX-S cams and a set of 04' TSX cams today. The guy needs them by Fri or I'd let you barrow them... I can snap a few pics before I package them up if you want? confirm the R numbers or what not... :rolleyes:
For sure on the 04 TSX cams! thx :up:
I'm going to try and borrow Phantastic's A2 cams since he's local.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
Excellent info! Now I just need to see if i can get my hands on a set of reasonably priced 06 tsx cams. :)

I've heard some engine builders suggest *ONLY* running the tsx intake cam with the dc5r exhaust cam. Anyone know anything about this?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent info! Now I just need to see if i can get my hands on a set of reasonably priced 06 tsx cams. :)

I've heard some engine builders suggest *ONLY* running the tsx intake cam with the dc5r exhaust cam. Anyone know anything about this?
I heard this too...i duno why tho...the photos show the TSX exh. cam has better lobe profiles than the R cams...

then i also heard its better to run the R intake & 06 TSX exh. cam...

imo, I think its best to run both TSX cams...

·
Banned
748 Posts
Good job on the pics and clearification on K cams. Hey Kat...did you ever get the engine heater hose bracket production going? It would be super if I can scoupe one of those brackets from you. Thanks and let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good job on the pics and clearification on K cams. Hey Kat...did you ever get the engine heater hose bracket production going? It would be super if I can scoupe one of those brackets from you. Thanks and let me know.
funny you should ask!
Last week, I just sent the heater thermo swtich brackets off to get CAD'ified so I can get a run of them made, along with the throtttle cable bracket as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have 2 sets of 02-04 rsx-s cams w/ cam gears. If you can't get ahold of some let me know and I'll send them out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm gonna meet up with "allmotorjunkbox" and we will pic up the 02-04 Type S VS. 04 TSX cams!

I will also bring out a micrometer and maybe we can measure lift on the two sets!

I'll keep you all posted!

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
funny you should ask!
Last week, I just sent the heater thermo swtich brackets off to get CAD'ified so I can get a run of them made, along with the throtttle cable bracket as well.
Any more info on these brackets? Curious as to what you are using them for.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here are '03 DC5 -S Cams VS. '04 TSX Cams:

I used a micrometer to measure the overall lift on the primary and the VTEC lobes of both cams, here are the specs:

K20A2: 02-04____________ K24A2: 04-05

int. pri.= 1.285" ____________ 1.313" - (Bigger)
int. vtc= 1.398" - (Bigger)____ 1.379"

ext. pri.= 1.291" ___________ 1.306" - (Bigger)
ext.vtc.= 1.369" ___________ 1.382" - (Bigger)

Here are the pics:

K20A2 Intake Cam

K24A2 Intake Cam

K20A2 Exhaust Cam

K24A2 Exhaust Cam

Intake Comparison RSX Left TSX Right

Exhaust Comparison RSX Left Tsx Right

Telling the difference between the 02-04 RSX-S cams and 04-05 TSX cams in the SINGLE line (RSX) or DOUBLE line (TSX)

Intake Difference between the two Notice the SINGLE line (RSX) Top,
DOUBLE line (TSX) Bottom

Exhaust Difference Between......etc

So Basically in my opinion if you are putting these cams in a 2.4 I think it is best to use both TSX cams, if you are using this in a 2.0 setup, then use the RSX intake and TSX exhaust. (I'm NOT AN EXPERT, So Please EXPERTS chime in with your view on this!)

K20a.org also has to thank member "allmotorjunkbox" And He is a reputable seller!

1 - 20 of 688 Posts