Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the "import" scene, I'm use to the LSx world. But in a way I've learned the k series is similar with compatible/interchangeable parts. But what is?

I've been pondering swapping my k24a1 for a k24a2. Probably keep the a1 head. Is it all plug and play for motor mounts/sensors.

All this would only happen if the a1 I'm running let's go (200k on it now). I'm looking for a little more git up and go. It's an 06 CRV EX AWD 5spd manual.

I plan on the TSX 6th gear as well.

What would allow this thing to get 200whp?

·
Registered
491 Posts
nice crv
ive always liked the 2nd gen

not sure if its worth the trouble of a swap in a crv,but im sure its possible. k24a2 sounds good though..kpro..3' intake..etc

best of luck to you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nice crv
ive always liked the 2nd gen

not sure if its worth the trouble of a swap in a crv,but im sure its possible. k24a2 sounds good though..kpro..3' intake..etc

best of luck to you
Thanks, but yeah it would only happen if the a1 let's go. I just think the extra 30-40hp from the a2 would probably make a huge difference. I believe ktuners is working on the software for the second Gen Crv.

Not looking for a powerhouse, I have my truck for the (397whp/403wtq). But for a daily, feel it would benefit to get a little more acceration. Still trying to figure if the stock drive train could handle even that.

I couldn't see 200whp being much of an issue though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
the're plenty of people doing stock k20/k24a1 blocks with rbc, intake, headers and exhaust doing close to 220whp..

i would say something simple as k20 type s head with prb intake manifold throttle body even a shorty dc header and ktuner, tuned you could reach yclose to your 200whp goal but if you could get the rbc to fit thats easy power. i was going to do that to mine but would had to do a half size radiator to get it to fit my crv

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the're plenty of people doing stock k20/k24a1 blocks with rbc, intake, headers and exhaust doing close to 220whp..

i would say something simple as k20 type s head with prb intake manifold throttle body even a shorty dc header and ktuner, tuned you could reach yclose to your 200whp goal but if you could get the rbc to fit thats easy power. i was going to do that to mine but would had to do a half size radiator to get it to fit my crv
Thanks, this is the type of info I am looking for lol. I still have much to learn, as I've only had this thing for like 1.5 months. Kind of a spontaneous buy, but enjoy it lol.

I could see this being a bit more fun with some PAH. Clueless, but rbc?

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
I like the 2nd gen CR-V. If I'm not mistaken, the engine harness wiring and ECU pinouts are close if not identical to the RSX. The RSX Type S will have a reverse lockout solenoid (and I believe 1 wire to match; grounds through tranny/block). K-Pro should work on it.

The K24A1 head flows pretty well as is. However, it doesn't allow for you to use 3 lobe cams unless you do a VTEC killer setup (the rockers will only use the big lobe). The K24A1 head is missing the seats for the lost motion springs that keep the middle rocker from going where it's not supposed to when it's not engaged. Still, there are aftermarket cams...

The K24A1 head is similar on the exterior to the K20A2, K20Z1 and K20A3 heads. Different from the K24A2 and K20Z3 heads but you can modify their intake manifolds to work on your head. Very, very different from the K24Z3, K24Z7, K24Z2 style heads.

I imagine this will be more of a practical vehicle and you'll want reliability more than anything? I'd use the K24A2 block (higher compression ratio) and if it's from an 06-08 TSX, it'll have oane of the best factory cam combos out there. If you want it looking stock (and having all the hard lines bolt up the way they're supposed to), I'd use the K24A2 block, K24A1 head gasket, K20A2 head, 06-08 K24A2 cams and maybe a modified RBC manifold, a throttlebody adapter and a K20A2 throttlebody. I don't know if the K24A1's throttlebody will bolt on to certain manifolds. You'll also want K-Pro to make it all work together. I didn't cover injectors or boost... I assume you'll stay naturally aspirated?

Also, for the 6 speed conversion, it sounds like you found the info on the CRV/Element groups. I think you might be able to use an RSX-S shift arm to give you a reverse lockout solenoid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I like the 2nd gen CR-V. If I'm not mistaken, the engine harness wiring and ECU pinouts are close if not identical to the RSX. The RSX Type S will have a reverse lockout solenoid (and I believe 1 wire to match; grounds through tranny/block). K-Pro should work on it.

The K24A1 head flows pretty well as is. However, it doesn't allow for you to use 3 lobe cams unless you do a VTEC killer setup (the rockers will only use the big lobe). The K24A1 head is missing the seats for the lost motion springs that keep the middle rocker from going where it's not supposed to when it's not engaged. Still, there are aftermarket cams...

The K24A1 head is similar on the exterior to the K20A2, K20Z1 and K20A3 heads. Different from the K24A2 and K20Z3 heads but you can modify their intake manifolds to work on your head. Very, very different from the K24Z3, K24Z7, K24Z2 style heads.

I imagine this will be more of a practical vehicle and you'll want reliability more than anything? I'd use the K24A2 block (higher compression ratio) and if it's from an 06-08 TSX, it'll have oane of the best factory cam combos out there. If you want it looking stock (and having all the hard lines bolt up the way they're supposed to), I'd use the K24A2 block, K24A1 head gasket, K20A2 head, 06-08 K24A2 cams and maybe a modified RBC manifold, a throttlebody adapter and a K20A2 throttlebody. I don't know if the K24A1's throttlebody will bolt on to certain manifolds. You'll also want K-Pro to make it all work together. I didn't cover injectors or boost... I assume you'll stay naturally aspirated?

Also, for the 6 speed conversion, it sounds like you found the info on the CRV/Element groups. I think you might be able to use an RSX-S shift arm to give you a reverse lockout solenoid.
Awesome info!! Yep, more for practicality than anything and staying NA. Turbo would be fun, but I wouldn't be dumping a lot of time or money into this if I don't have to. And I believe the rear is power limited before upgrades are needed.

A little more on the top end would be what I'm looking for. But to be honest, the 24a2 torque on the low end isn't half bad so I wouldn't want to sacrifice that too much by moving the torque/Powerband too high. That's why I figured the a1 head on the a2 block would give it a boost due to stronger block and higher compression. But still retain plug and play friendliness.

I've researched a little, but please elaborate on this RBC intake.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,648 Posts
The RBC would have to be modified to work on a CR-V/RSX head. The water port design is different. It's integrated on the RBC intake manifold and a separate bolt on piece for the other style. You could use the TSX or 06-11 Civic Si head but then you should get that coolant diverter for the block too.

Also, get a CR-V head gasket for the CR-V/RSX heads and TSX head gasket for the TSX/06 Si heads. Coolant openings are different between those two styles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts