Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

141 - 160 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
can't wait till i get all parts together to try this. so far i've got everything listed except the 02-04 kpro converted to 05 w/ conv. harness. i have a 02-04 kpro now, how much is it supposed to cost to convert? just to be sure im not getting ripped off.
Hondata has it quoted on their web site as $250.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,644 Posts
I'm going to have to review this. I was going to start repinning my own 05+ RSX-S harness. I have a K20Z3 from an 06+ Si.

I'll be using the S2000 cluster to convert my high frequency VSS to low as the cruise control and other functions still rely on the low frequency signal.

·
/) ^3^(\ <- SO AWESOME!!
2,644 Posts
Okay, I just found some time to look this over again.

Wow, I just found an old post of mine and boy did I sound like a noob! Luckily now, I know a bit more. :)

Hopefully I get a chance to post up repinning info in the upcoming weeks. I'm out of town right now. I'll start a new thread when I have a chance but the wiring did change a bit. Some grounds have been combined and so forth so there's no perfect 1:1 method of repinning.

thats another 75 bucks for a helms, on my list, plus you need the other 02-04 to compare. Going to figure out if its a frequency or small votage, trying to figure out how to change signal
Actually, all you need is the Helm 2002-2005 RSX Electrical Troubleshooting Manual which is $47. It covers 02-06 (since 06 is the same as 05). If you want even cheaper, go to http://www.alldatadiy.com and get a subscription for the car of your choice. The source info is straight from the Helms manual.

doesnt using the 05-06 vss allow you to run the s2k cluster since it uses the same signal?
Someone already said yes but I don't think it's common knowledge that the S2000 cluster (both AP1 and AP2) is capable of converting the high frequency VSS signal to a low frequency. This is because some of its systems like cruise control still use the low frequency VSS. Even the 06+ S2000 clusters have the converter despite being DBW as cruise control wasn't the only system that relied on the older VSS.

The speedo on the k20z3 tranny is the same as the 05-06 k20z1, but they have different trans and rear mounting types. The k20z1 mounts as the k20a2 and the shifter cables are very close to the same (with the exception of metal brackets that need to be cut off) while the k20z3 tranny mounts the same as the k24a2 and k24a4 Manual transmissions. Only the k20z1 and k20a2 are useable with the mount kits that are out currently. I hope this helps.. -J
Actually, the Hasport EG/DC2/EK mounts work on the K20Z3 tranny just fine. It's got basically the same transmission housing as the K20Z1. The only difference is the shift arm which works like it does on the TSX.

·
Registered
98 Posts
im in port st lucie bring the car to me for the swap :)
headed to melbourne this weekend, but taking a friend, so we won't be bringing the del sol

i'll send you a pm if we headed that way in the del sol, in case i can't figure out the wiring, we take sr70 across, so we always drive by port st lucie

·
Registered
98 Posts
the conversion harness from hybrid and the jumper harness from hondata does not have a wire at 25, only at 26??

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
the conversion harness from hybrid and the jumper harness from hondata does not have a wire at 25, only at 26??

you have to add the wire.you have to run from the ecu itself the wire is going up to the conversion harness in the wrong place. you have to be knowledgible to do this or your not gonna be able to get it to work or even worse your gonna fry your ecu

·
Registered
98 Posts
you have to add the wire.you have to run from the ecu itself the wire is going up to the conversion harness in the wrong place. you have to be knowledgible to do this or your not gonna be able to get it to work or even worse your gonna fry your ecu
yeah i am not going to try and run a new wire

but i ran a new wire from 26 on the jumper harness to the hybrid harness' 26 and now we got tach :dance:

the speedo... i'll leave it for now and let my wife use her gps speedo:D

·
Registered
3,316 Posts

but i ran a new wire from 26 on the jumper harness to the hybrid harness' 26 and now we got tach :dance:

GPS is more accurate than any Honda speedo I've seen so far anyways. I don't know if Honda has fixed the 3% off problem yet that cost them the class action law suit. It's a calibration issue if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #152

you just do the same thing for the speedo wire then set your high frequenzy setting in kpro and your done.

does your gas gauge work?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Guys, I have an 02 rsx engine, but I recently swapped in a '06 civic si tranny into the car. Now my speedo is not working and my vtec is not kicking in. Am I in good shape to try out this method and get my speedo working again?? also does this have anything to do with an "ect" light?? After I put the new trans in my car threw a cel light and it says "engine coolant temp high voltage" and reads 124*F the whole time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
would this only work with the hybrid conversion harness, or would it work with other harnesses too? i have everything you listed except the hybrid harness.

·
Registered
2 Posts
okay i apologize for sounding like a newb here. although i've been around reading up on the site from time to time, i believe this is actually my very first post so allow me to introduce myself and say hello :D.

my name is steve and i'm from chatham ontario canada. i'm a 34yr old father of one and have been working at our local honda dealership for 3 years now. i am currently at honda technical school in toronto for my dealership apprenticeship and while up here i have been doing alot of homework on this swap for my canadian model 1995 eg which still has it's original d15b7 engine.

so several of us from class went out for lunch on friday after our electrical test and we were talking about the k20 swap. i mentioned how i have been looking into the swap for my eg and would like to purchase an engine when i'm done school at the end of this year. one of the guys was telling me how i shouldn't do it not only for the cost factor but he also mentioned this 05 vss signal issue which is why i am here looking it up. he claims that he has seen many pepople who have k-swaps are trying to sell them but he's a b16 guy so of course he went on about doing a b-swap instead lol :hammer:.

so my question after all my babble is...if i use an 02-04 rsx-s engine with 02-04 rsx-s ecu and have hondata themselves kpro it, will i have problems with the cluster and fuel pump that has been mentioned here? i'm under the assumption i won't but i'd like to be sure before i put money down for an engine (which i'll be ordering from HMO). FYI myself and the other techs all have keys and access to the dealership and are allowed to use it after hours whenever and for however long we need and we also have access to honda's online technical manuals so wiring and tools won't be an issue.

i am hoping to have a kswap installed and running in my eg by spring/summer of '09 but i am very anal about my car and i like to do all my homework ahead of time and have everything all laid out so i can go at it start to finish with minimal stops or snags. the sensor and fuel pump issues were a concern to me and while i would definitely take my time and do any necessary harness pin changes, i admit i don't get very excited about automotive wiring and avoid it if i can :silly:

again, sorry for sounding like a newb here. the site is awesome and i am looking forward to learning alot from all of you:up:

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Hi Steve, the issue with the cluster reading properly is do to the use of a digital hall affect sensor on the 05-06 tranny, if you are using the 02-04 tranny you shouldn't have any problems getting everything to work with the harness and K-Pro. The moddifications this thread is talking about are just for the newer RSX tranny's that the people are using for the 4.76 FD.

·
Registered
98 Posts
so my question after all my babble is...if i use an 02-04 rsx-s engine with 02-04 rsx-s ecu and have hondata themselves kpro it, will i have problems with the cluster and fuel pump that has been mentioned here? i'm under the assumption i won't but i'd like to be sure before i put money down for an engine (which i'll be ordering from HMO). FYI myself and the other techs all have keys and access to the dealership and are allowed to use it after hours whenever and for however long we need and we also have access to honda's online technical manuals so wiring and tools won't be an issue.

i am hoping to have a kswap installed and running in my eg by spring/summer of '09 but i am very anal about my car and i like to do all my homework ahead of time and have everything all laid out so i can go at it start to finish with minimal stops or snags. the sensor and fuel pump issues were a concern to me and while i would definitely take my time and do any necessary harness pin changes, i admit i don't get very excited about automotive wiring and avoid it if i can :silly:
Steve,
the fuel pump shouldn't be a problem, as long as you have the e10 grounded correctly. I am rather confident in this write up, as i've gotten one of the 2 things that others have said it wasn't possible (rpm), i am too lazy to wire up speedo, plus we have a gps unit to gauge speed anyway. all this write up is really only for the z1 transmission(05-06), if you are using an a2 transmission(02-04), you shouldn't encounter the issues written in here

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Steve, the issue with the cluster reading properly is do to the use of a digital hall affect sensor on the 05-06 tranny, if you are using the 02-04 tranny you shouldn't have any problems getting everything to work with the harness and K-Pro. The moddifications this thread is talking about are just for the newer RSX tranny's that the people are using for the 4.76 FD.
Steve,
the fuel pump shouldn't be a problem, as long as you have the e10 grounded correctly. I am rather confident in this write up, as i've gotten one of the 2 things that others have said it wasn't possible (rpm), i am too lazy to wire up speedo, plus we have a gps unit to gauge speed anyway. all this write up is really only for the z1 transmission(05-06), if you are using an a2 transmission(02-04), you shouldn't encounter the issues written in here
thank you very much for your replies :up:. i'm planning to order my engine from HMO (hopefully the CDN dollar is still decent by then lol) and i will try to ask them for an 02-04 complete conversion.

the toronto transit comission is on strike and as such toronto's transit system is completely shutdown and i'm stuck in rez with nothing to do lol. so i have been reading up alot on the site tonight and notice alot of good things being said about hybrid racing. i especially like how their conversion harness is brand new using oem parts and comes with very thorough instructions. their fuel line kits as well take the guessing and work out of fuel connections.

thank you gentlemen. your information is duely noted.

141 - 160 of 199 Posts