Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i did my search - but i suck at searching, please don't flame ;)

i have an ep3. i hate the a3, so it's getting chucked.

i have a line on a 06 k20z1.

i already did the 6spd tranny swap to the a3, so the labour isn't an issue.

will the a2 tranny mate up to the z1 without issue?

what wire harness will i need? and will all functions (rad fan/speedo, tach), all work?

what ecu should i use? 02-04 a2 ecu? ..im trying not to go kpro right away, as i just payed for school and work has been slow lately. will be doing kpro when i go boost this summer (i miss boost..i miss my EK).

anything else i'm missing?
thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
06 k20z1 + 02-04 a2 tranny + ep3 engine harness = pretty much straightforward...you get the vss problem with the 06 z1 tranny.
you should really save up and get hondata kpro for the ecu though, definitely worth the money, so many possibilities, and kpro will make everything work so you dont have to go to a dealer and stuff. im actually doing the exact same swap into my 05 ep3...ive got the 06 longblock but just need the hondata and a2 6speed. bottom line is....if u want a reliable build you dont want to cut any corners...buy hondata! also...if you havent already check out www.ephatch.com i got so much help from there, theres a few guys who have successfuly completed our swap. all information i just said came from someone there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
from what i've read, is the EP3 engine harness wont work properly, due to the difference in vtec and other small differences?

currently, work cut my hours, so im trying to do this reliable, then do kpro in the summer when i go boost...

it will be k20z1 block+a2 tranny. since the vss isnt an issue, will there be any other wire harness issues?

thx :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
well actually moonsi from ephatch.com told me that information...that
06 z1 + a2 speed + engine wire harness is straight forward. hes got the same swap as us and did it himself. if there are any other problems starting it then kpro would fix it...with hondata your car will start for sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Only input i have is use the a2 ecu if you are using your stock engine harness. Easiest way out if you dont want to figure out the wiring to use the z1 harness and ecu.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the wiring does suck, but i have the a3 harness, so it SHOULD be direct plug and play.......

just need to know if the a2 ecu will run the z1 block properly

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
im sure youl have no problem running the z1 with an a2 ecu. you can use the a3 harness , any differences can be sorted out easily if your good with hondas or wiring in them. one thing s the reverse lockout. if you use the a3 harness , it wont have all the wiring for the a2 tranny. if i were you , id get my hands on an a2 harness. but , as long as you dont try to put it in reverse instead of 6th , lol , youl be ok. vtec is the same on all the K series engines wiring wise.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just cant find a kpro locally for less than like $1400!!! :\

i already have the 6th in my ep3, no lockout..but how can someone screw that up, i find reverse is WAY the fuk over to the right..lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
I always wondered about the a2 ecu running the z1 block too. That is why I repinned my dash harness to match the z1 ecu. Basically, i'm running the z1 ecu, engine harness, ep3 dash harness, and z1 engine.

However, i'm still throwing codes for the evap shut valve, fuel pressure sensor, and secondary o2 sensor though. But at least my speed sensor works with the dakota box...:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
from what i've read, is the EP3 engine harness wont work properly, due to the difference in vtec and other small differences?

currently, work cut my hours, so im trying to do this reliable, then do kpro in the summer when i go boost...

it will be k20z1 block+a2 tranny. since the vss isnt an issue, will there be any other wire harness issues?

thx :D

as listed before..vtec difference wont matter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts