Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says, I've got a 2003 Element 2wd with a manual transmission. Yesterday my mechanic told me the trans was on its last legs (something to do with the spider gears) and i need to look for a new transmission asap. I love this thing and I don't want to see her go to the scrapyard.

I've seen a few apg6 transmissions around the internet for about $600, however I was wondering if a transmission would work out of an Accord, or RSX, or even maybe a CRV? I've searched the forums, online, and I can't find a straight answer.

Am I out of options here? Should I just bite the bullet and get a new transmission? I'm in VA, and I think I'm going to have to drive to NC for a new trans. Ugh.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Manual transmissions don't really go bad unless they were neglected. What about rebuilding it? There are spider gears in the differential, that would be easy enough to replace.

CRV manual should fit, these only game in AWD so you'd have to remove the transfer case and put the cover from yours on. RSX should fit but you'd have to swap the subframe as well (rear engine mount changes). Accord I'm not sure on but I would guess no. Easiest would be another Element trans (AWD would work too, similar case to CRV).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well its not 100% confirmed its the spider gears. But I'll research it and see how much they are. I'll start searching CRV transmissions too, apparently the MT's are a little more rare for the Element.l, whether be 2wd or AWD. I know someone who is selling their 2003 Element with a bad front end, and I can't find his number. That would literally solve all my problems.

The transmission shop mentioned an Accord transmission. But something about the splines being incorrect.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Did a little more digging, rear engine mount on the Accord transmission is definitely different and wouldn't work. 2002-2006 CRV would be a direct swap but the gearing is slightly different. 1st gear is the same but 2-5 in the CRV is a little longer.

If it is a spider gear in the differential you can get a whole new Honda genuine differential for ~$300. Granted you'd either have to pay someone to install it or do it yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The CRV manual transmissions have a VSS sensor ont he clutch case while you Element has a sensor on the outer trans case, The CRV transmission will bolt right in but it is not compatible sensor wise.

Have you solved your issue yet?

·
Registered
1 Posts
CRV manual should fit, these only game in AWD so you'd have to remove the transfer case and put the cover from yours on.
so that transfer case cover on the 2wd element will fit on the 4wd crv manual transmission (id like to use the transmission in a 2wd swap)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts