Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey All,

I aquired a pretty clean manual '05 Base RSX for super cheap, because it has either rod knock or valve slap. Either way, I was able to source another K20A3 from an Auto '02 base RSX, for super cheap, (basically gave it to me).

Can I rebuild the '02 K20A3, remove the trans, and put it in the '05 with no issues? Will the '05 ECU and 5sp trans give me any issues?

I know the engines are almost the same, only difference I know of is the exhaust rockers are different. But, I'll be using most of the stuff from the '05, except rebuilt engine block and head.

I'm not looking to do any other engine for this. I just want to rebuild it and flip the car really.

I would pull the engine in it and rebuild it. But, the oil is FILLED with metal, it would be almost impossible...

Let me know thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bump, for possible info?

I tried joining the K20a Facebook group, and it seems the admins are gone, no one is approving requests to join. :/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm still hoping this works. But, a little insight from someone that knows this stuff would be nice.

Thanks

·
Registered
515 Posts
Your '05 has the manual trans and you will be keeping it, correct? If so I don't think you'll have any issues. Definitely use the original engine harness. I would also swap the sensors from your original engine. I can't remember which but I believe some changed from '02-'04 and '05-'06, I may be mistaken though. I can't think of anything else that changed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your '05 has the manual trans and you will be keeping it, correct? If so I don't think you'll have any issues. Definitely use the original engine harness. I would also swap the sensors from your original engine. I can't remember which but I believe some changed from '02-'04 and '05-'06, I may be mistaken though. I can't think of anything else that changed.
Thank you for the reply!

Yes, using the stock '05 5Sp trans.

Thanks for the info on sensors. Which sensors do you think?

·
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!
8,024 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, question about this. Are the power steering pumps different between these 2 motors? If I'm rebuilding the '02, and using the '02 water pump, it looked like it's new. Will I have any issues?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does anyone else have any invite on doing this? I'd hate if I get all the way swapped and something's not compatible :-/

Knowing my luck, that's how it'll go. Just trying to get a head start on those issues. Lol

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 civic HX K24a
2,014 Posts
Does anyone else have any invite on doing this? I'd hate if I get all the way swapped and something's not compatible :-/

Knowing my luck, that's how it'll go. Just trying to get a head start on those issues. Lol

Thanks!
The power steering pumps are slightly different. I remember @Them Witches saying something about the 05 ones being better. Besides that since you’re using the original 05 trans there shouldn’t be any issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts