Differences Between K20A2 and Z1 harnesses? - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 12-19-2012, 12:52 PM   #1
Longitudinal
K20a.org Basic User

Default Differences Between K20A2 and Z1 harnesses?

Can I treat the harness as the same?

Our next K20 swap into a Fiat X1/9 is well under way and this one uses a Z1 engine with K-Pro, which I am told is always an A2 ECU to start because Hondata can't hack the Z1 ECU. I am working on sorting out the wiring harness and some colors don't match the Hondata "K-Series ECU Wiring" diagram, but previous A2 harnesses may not have matched perfectly either for all I know.

Since I have the Hondata ECU, is this Z1 essentially an A2 now?
Longitudinal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #2
turpid porpoise
K20a.org Basic User

Default Re: Differences Between K20A2 and Z1 harnesses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longitudinal View Post
Can I treat the harness as the same?

Our next K20 swap into a Fiat X1/9 is well under way and this one uses a Z1 engine with K-Pro, which I am told is always an A2 ECU to start because Hondata can't hack the Z1 ECU. I am working on sorting out the wiring harness and some colors don't match the Hondata "K-Series ECU Wiring" diagram, but previous A2 harnesses may not have matched perfectly either for all I know.

Since I have the Hondata ECU, is this Z1 essentially an A2 now?
No. The Z1 and A2 use different speed sensors on the transmission. If you use an A2 transmission on your Z1 you should be able to use the A2 harness.

On another note, the KPRO for the 05-06 K20 is not the same as the 02-04 KPRO. Yes it is the same ecu but no they are not interchangeable.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #3
Longitudinal
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpid porpoise View Post
No. The Z1 and A2 use different speed sensors on the transmission. If you use an A2 transmission on your Z1 you should be able to use the A2 harness.

On another note, the KPRO for the 05-06 K20 is not the same as the 02-04 KPRO. Yes it is the same ecu but no they are not interchangeable.
Hmm. I have a Z1 engine, Z1 trans and Z1 harness and my boss bought a KPRO from Hondata for this engine. The boss told me that you have to pay extra for a Z1 unit because they can't use the Z1 ECU.

All I care about is that the pinouts are the same on the A, B and E connectors and the engine harness. Are they the same or different?

Old 12-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #4
turpid porpoise
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longitudinal View Post
Hmm. I have a Z1 engine, Z1 trans and Z1 harness and my boss bought a KPRO from Hondata for this engine. The boss told me that you have to pay extra for a Z1 unit because they can't use the Z1 ECU.

All I care about is that the pinouts are the same on the A, B and E connectors and the engine harness. Are they the same or different?
If you bought the 05-06 KPRO and have the Z1 engine, trans and harness you should be good to go. Did the KPRO come with a harness and o2 sensor?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Longitudinal
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
If you bought the 05-06 KPRO and have the Z1 engine, trans and harness you should be good to go. Did the KPRO come with a harness and o2 sensor?
KPRO came with the usual--nothing but a CD and a USB cable.

Are the pinouts the same as this:

Old 12-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #6
turpid porpoise
K20a.org Basic User

I dont believe the pin outs are the same which is why 05-06 k20z1 kpro comes with a jumper harness to plug into an 02-04 ecu that has an 05-06 kpro board.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Longitudinal
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
I dont believe the pin outs are the same which is why 05-06 k20z1 kpro comes with a jumper harness to plug into an 02-04 ecu that has an 05-06 kpro board.
I have been wondering about that little harness, but the instruction manual (if you want to call it that) mentions NOTHING about the jumper harness, its purpose or where it installs, nor does it provide pinouts or a diagram.

I know nothing at all about the jumper harness. What I do know is that the Z1 engine's E connector plugs into the KPRO ecu we received from Hondata.

Any insight? I need to start wiring.
Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Longitudinal
K20a.org Basic User

I'm looking at the Hondata site right now, and it looks like I may be missing an important piece. Pictured below is the harness Hondata included with this ECU.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-12-19 18.43.49.jpg (529.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-19-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
turpid porpoise
K20a.org Basic User

This is what is supposed to come with 05-06 KPRO, Im not sure what that harness you have is for.
http://hondata.com/images/05rsx_adapter_img.jpg
Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Longitudinal
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
This is what is supposed to come with 05-06 KPRO, Im not sure what that harness you have is for.
http://hondata.com/images/05rsx_adapter_img.jpg
Yeah... I seem to be short an important piece of the puzzle. I am going to call Hondata first thing in the morning. They're assholes in my experience so far, but maybe they can redeem themselves tomorrow.

OK, so once I have that adapter harness, does the wiring diagram I posted above then apply?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #11
turpid porpoise
K20a.org Basic User

Honestly I am not sure about the pin out. I would have to look through the service manual for the 05-06 to see if thats how it is pinned. I didn't think Hondata dealt with the public only through dealers.