Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

Skunk2 K-series Manifold Test Fit

175K views 705 replies 135 participants last post by  Onyxeros 
#1 ·
Last night, I got my paws on one of them shiny new Skunk2 K-series intake manifolds :p (well...borrowed). My ex-AEM cohort Robert Green (now@Skunk2) brought it by to document the install+ fitment.

I think it's safe to claim that this is the first commercial install (outside of Skunk's facility) on the net :rolleyes: as Skunk just barely shipped these out this week to vendors.

Installing the manifold is pretty straight forward, but there may need to be small modifications depending on your fuel delivery setup and other things leading to the manifold (extension of hoses, etc).

The OEM waterneck (to the right of the intake manifold) is completely replaced with the Skunk manifold as it has an integrated water neck. Right off the bat I noticed how this manifold is compact in design, it doesn't arch up as high, and the throttlebody isn't angled as aggressively as the RBC is/does. Oh and it comes with a thermal gasket :up: and provisions & fittings for 06+ Si's.

I have a slight issue with my EG being that I'm running an OEM DC5/RSX radiator with my setup, and the DC5's upper water neck has always been a problem for me when trying to run a RBC manifold. The problem is the upper radiator hose makes real bad contact with the TPS sensor because of the offset of the DC5's water neck. One reason I haven't ran an RBC is because I've been lagging on getting a custom aluminum radiator made (kinda price, ya dig?). Anyways, with the Skunk2 manifold, it actually just barely alleviates this clearance issue I have :dance: thanks to the compact design and no need for a throttlebody adapter plate!

I didn't see any downsides to this manifold, well maybe just a tiny one for the ones who just want a direct stock intake manifold replacement. The oil crank breather line or PVC line (right above alternator) doesn't have its own vacuum port for recirculation. You need to run a breather filter or tap in your own vaccum port. Oh I almost forgot, you'll need one of these fittings for the coolant temp sensor which this manifold has provisions for (see photos beloooow):

Can't wait to get my own S2 manifold for testing =D

More detailed info can be found on Skunk2's site here:
http://cms.skunk2.com/id/263/K-SERIES-INTAKE-MANIFOLDS

On with the photos:

Notice the minimal clearances between the TPS and upper rad hose :(

BDL T/B fitment...

See less See more
#164 ·
Making required mods to work the RBB manifold with my civic, plus yesterday, I just got my paws on a Mishitmoto S13 radiator so I can comfortably fit an RBC manifold without any TPS-to-upper rad hose clearance problems.

I'm hoping either by next week or 2nd week of September to pull off the tests.

#171 ·
ahh soo f'in pissed at myself right now!
I ran into some mounting issues with this custom modified Mishi rad after an install attempt this morning. This may delay me a few days more until I get this resolved..sorry fellas!

But..

Since i have 6spdEK's RBB manifold and he needs it back by the 15th and it doesn't have any serious clearance issues with my DC5 rad, I might just dyno the RBB and PRC mani's as Phase 1 then come back and redyno a few days or week later for the Sk2 and RBC as Phase 2...

#172 ·
If you are going to do that, however the car is left from the first test, do a baseline pull right before the second test to make sure the car is making the same power. :up:

#180 ·
June,
I can understand the possible conspiracy theories, but I assure you, the SK2 manifold will be 95% untouched, unported, and completely in its stock form --- except for the lopped off water neck for easier installation (the 5%).

Reason why I need to run a different radiator vs. the DC5 rad is fitment issues with the upper water neck. It's totally in the way of the TPS sensor when an RBC manifold is installed. The clearances are super minimal with the SK2 manifold too, but clears.

here's some DC5 radiator fitment failure for your eyes:

Other than that, thanks for the positive props everyone =D

#190 ·
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

complete stock untouched type-s head with 04-s cams, k24 bottom, 12.5:1 with stock ep3 throttlebody and skunk2 manifold. (machined out water jacket)

brand new engine, didn't want to rev it to much on the dyno till miles on it, customer request....

even with stock cams it works very good.

ep3 chassis, perfect fitment.

#195 ·
Heh yeah, I dunno....I would've done the same thing as you, but it just so happened the idea manifested itself in my brain to dyno test the most popular K manifolds. Guess its just the love for the K! Plus I love providing info that hasn't been fully or partially proven by others yet.. :dance:

Super Street is interested in making this an article; yours truly might be the sole provider of information and photos of the shoot out for SS. Plus Erick's Racing will be doing the dyno test for free because of this coverage :up:

BUT...its looking like I *might* have to split up the shoot-out into 2 sessions as I can't quite get my hands on a Skunk2 manifold in time (by Thursday); and one that has a lopped off water neck. :(

Session 1 (this thursday): Will consist of PRC, TSX, and BPR RBC.

Second 2 (in a couple weeks): will consist of skunk2 manifold and stock RBC

I'm a bit bummed, but that's how the cookie is crumbling so far...

#196 ·
cant you atleast have a consistency between 2 of the tests, atleast one manifold so that way the 2 days can be compared realistically ( like do the stock rbc, prc and bpr rbc one day, and the next time do the stock rbc, skunk2 and stock tsx) that way some consistency atleast can be set with using one of the manifolds twice to set a benchmark

#197 ·
I see your point.

What I will do is include the stock RBC in session 1 and session 2.

Problem with the TSX and BPR RBC manifolds is that I am borrowing them and the owners need them back as soon as the tests are done this week, especially with the TSX mani (belongs to 6spd_EK).

The stock PRC and RBC belong to me though. So, when the sk2 manifold becomes available it'll be a fair comparison to my stock RBC (even though a couple of others have already performed this test). It wouldn't be a fair comparison anyways with a BPR RBC vs. Skunk2 as the BPR is heavily ported vs. the Skunk2 mani. Stock RBC vs. SK2 seems like a fair battle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.