Oil pan recommendations - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 08-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #1
sgmineha

Default Oil pan recommendations

I'm building a lotus 7 style race car with a k20 (longitudinal mounted RWD) and looking for recommendations for an oil pan. I'm looking at the baffled and increased capacity Canton and Moroso right now. Depth is important for my application as I don't have much hood room. Anybody know if these are any deeper than the OEM pan? Any other baffled pans that you'd recommend?
Thanks!
sgmineha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 05:45 PM   #2
motox6

Default Re: Oil pan recommendations

Clockwise motion makes a good baffle for a stock pan, but you wouldnt have increased capacity...
motox6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #3
kommon_sense
Lifetime Member

Unfortunately I dont have a definitive answer for your question.

Very few pans are deeper than oem. Most get the extra volume by going wider.

Since you are in a rwd configuration, then I don't know that you have the same needs as a transverse mounted config. The problem with a regular mounted k20 is that the oil runs up the timing chain cover on long sweeping left turns. You won't get that in a rwd setup. So you may be able to use the black steel k24/k20 pan and maybe add an accusump to the system.

On a side note, I'd be really curious about seeing your project. I'm in Durham, feel free to send me a PM.
kommon_sense is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #4
GR124

Sent sgmineha a PM. Following with interest
GR124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 AM   #5
katman
Lifetime Member

look into the Kmiata pan might be what you're looking for.
-----------------------
FF SQUAD | FFS TechNet | FFS Videos
katman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
kommon_sense
Lifetime Member

The kmiata pan has a large notch cut into it to clear the miata crossmember and it uses a different oil pickup. So don't know that there is much benefit by going there.
Old 08-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #7
FastG

I also run a K24 powered 7. I run the Canton sump, it's worked perfectly for over 2500 track day miles. You must use a sump gasket with the steel pans or you will never be able to seal the leaks, I think I got mine from RockAuto. Ground clearance is a problem, I run a K24 that is taller making the problem worse.

Graham
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160715_113848234.jpg (1.22 MB, 9 views)
FastG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
GR124

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastG View Post
I also run a K24 powered 7. I run the Canton sump, it's worked perfectly for over 2500 track day miles. You must use a sump gasket with the steel pans or you will never be able to seal the leaks, I think I got mine from RockAuto. Ground clearance is a problem, I run a K24 that is taller making the problem worse.

Graham
Hi Graham, Sorry guys to side track the thread but can I ask what gearbox and bell housing adapter you are using?
I'm looking at using the MX5/miata 5 speed box.

Cheers
Graham from OZ
GR124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #9
FastG

I used the Kmiata setup with a 5 speed Miata trans. I used to live about 5 mils away from Dave at Kmiata so it was real convenient. I think they are a sponsor of this site.

https://kmiata.com/

Graham
Old 08-15-2019, 07:22 AM   #10
sgmineha

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastG View Post

Graham
Thanks, I was planning on running the Canton, just couldn't see any numbers on actual height of that pan vs oem. My car will have tight tolerances, so I want to get the pan that gives me the best chances without having to try multiple pans - I am hoping to be able to use a flat bottom car and not have to worry about hood clearance, too. Thanks for the heads up on the gasket.
sgmineha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
FastG

If you running the Locost type car you going to gave a lot of motor sticking out of the hood. I am running a 1 1/4" spacer on the top chassis rail lifting the nose and the hood up, the sump is still sticking out probable 3" below the bottom of the lower chassis rails. The Honda motors are great for power but it comes with a very tall cylinder head.

My other suggestion is run a rear facing inlet manifold so you can get a better air filter/air box setup. I first built mine with a front facing throttle body setup, just using the Miata swap parts and that was a bad idea. I have a couple of posts on the Locost site detailing my initial engine swap and the inlet manifold change I will try and find them

Graham

Here you go.

https://www.locostusa.com/forums/vie...248518#p248518

https://www.locostusa.com/forums/vie...hp?f=4&t=16975
Old 08-16-2019, 06:36 AM   #12
kommon_sense
Lifetime Member

For gearboxes, you have a lot of options now. Kmiata has a number of adapters so you can even use a bmw tranny. I've really been considering pulling the K from my civic and throwing it in my miata