Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

New member, k20a jdm type r ek swap

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  LotusElise 
#1 ·
What's up y'all,

My name is Joe and I just signed up the other day. Lurking on info posts for a few months

I just got a 1997 ek hatch K20a JDM Type r swap.

I was planning on using this as a daily. my current daily driver has power windows and power steering and air conditioning and power door locks... Man, I really didn't realize how much I might miss those things. Esp in august.

So the car has had a lot of upgrades, but I'm not sure it's going to be the best fit for my daily driver. Currently have it on Craigslist.

Should i keep it... Hmmm... Or sell it and go for a more modern civic si?!

Choices.

Let me know what y'all think.

#2 ·
#8 ·
Na, I have a nice cushion to work with but my dilemma is like how much do I want to put into it versus what it would bring if i sold. Did you check out my post with the Craigslist ad? If it sells for around $8-$8500, I'd be tempted to just get a newer civic si... I mean, it wouldn't be a jdm type r k20a... But I'd have ac and pw pd and ps, which makes a lot of sense for a daily driver.

I drive a lot... But i really wanna rip some vtec around my city.

Still weighing the options. What do you drive man?

#9 ·
Na, I have a nice cushion to work with but my dilemma is like how much do I want to put into it versus what it would bring if i sold. Did you check out my post with the Craigslist ad? If it sells for around $8-$8500...
I see your point. If you get 8 k$, this would be very high for a 22 year old car which was around 18 k$. Mostly the swap costs aren't seen in the market, just the power and fun level. But we will see. I guess more than 6 k$ would be the challenge...

...What do you drive man?
My daily is a '11 VW Polo 1.6 TDI BlueMotionTechnology, which is my fuel saver project: lightest rims around (5.4 kg), lightweight tires with fuel saver compound and a blend at the front from the '11 VW Polo BlueMotion. The MPG are around 58-74 from Autobahn to city driving up country road driving, which is sufficient for the project aim. The engine is since the ECU update (E189 engine type, VW scandal) slower in transition operation and less efficient. Since then VW has got some demerits by me.

My fun project is a Lotus Elise, which has roughly 740 kg ready to drive weight, with an K20 engine. The later is a 4 year engine development project, called the DAMPFHAMMER engine, still ongoing but near to finish on end of 08/19. It is spec'd for 308 hp/270 Nm and the widest available torque curve (260 Nm from 4500-8500 rpm). The engine will tell us it on end of this month!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.