VTC and VTEC not engaging. - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 06-10-2019, 06:11 AM   #1
Tehduckeggs

Default VTC and VTEC not engaging.

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a K20a swapped EF and ran into some issues when getting my first tune, from a very reputable tuner in the Honda community. Previously the car threw zero codes. Upon uploading a new map i threw code P0010 - VTC solenoid malfunction. I'll start by saying the car runs and drives completely fine, no hiccups at all. Previous owner had iVTEC disabled and that's why it didn't throw the P0010 code. The only code is the P0010.

The code throws upon key on power, engine does not need to be started for the CEL to pop. Which leads me to believe the issue is electrical.

What has been done so far:

-Confirmed engine, harness, PRB ECU are all 02-04/
-All grounds checked, cleaned and verified.
-Continuity confirmed / resistance from both B1+ and B23 to VTC connector with and without the solenoid plugged in.
-Directly wired VTC connector from ECU.
-Tested my ECU in 03 RSX-S, no CELs what so ever.
-Tested 2 other known working VTC solenoids.
-Solenoids / VTC screen cleaned.
-Oil is clean and topped off.
-Pulled valve cover off. VTC gear and timing look fine.
-Replaced both cam sensors.
-Tried multiple basemaps.
-Followed the HELMs guide for troubleshooting VTC issues. Trouble points toward the ECU, which has been confirmed working in another RSX.

This past Friday i got a new exhaust built for the car. When we took it out for some datalogging we noticed VTS never switches to ON. So no VTEC either, which was hard to tell before when the car was so loud.

I'm beginning to think the VTC / VTEC issues are related, but were unsure.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently driving the worlds slowest K20a swapped EF without VTC / VTEC.

Last edited by Tehduckeggs; 06-10-2019 at 06:18 AM..
Tehduckeggs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 04:24 AM   #2
Tehduckeggs

Default Re: VTC and VTEC not engaging.

We went through and confirmed the engine harness, swap harness and relays are all wired correctly per Hondata's swap diagram. Found the power wire to the main relay was barely hanging on. Buttoned up and re-crimped that.

Also added another ground to the harness ground / valve cover stud to the chassis.

Still no change. Getting voltage fluctuation in kpro from 12.5 - 14.2v. Still getting an immediate p0010 VTC code and no VTEC. Car runs / idles completely fine.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
Dottman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tehduckeggs View Post
We went through and confirmed the engine harness, swap harness and relays are all wired correctly per Hondata's swap diagram. Found the power wire to the main relay was barely hanging on. Buttoned up and re-crimped that.

Also added another ground to the harness ground / valve cover stud to the chassis.

Still no change. Getting voltage fluctuation in kpro from 12.5 - 14.2v. Still getting an immediate p0010 VTC code and no VTEC. Car runs / idles completely fine.
I’ll take a stab in the dark here to expand and “try and help”. Is there any play in any of the ECU pins? What about the hondata k pro installation. Can anyone go through it, as in SLOWLY with plenty of time. Only reason I ask is older vehicles are, old, things naturally rattle. I’m sure it has solid motor mounts right? Over time, even with professional wiring, things tend to rattle loose. Sounds to be like something of that nature, definitely wiring/electrical. Hope this help, I’m sure it’s beyond frustrating.

Last edited by Dottman1; 06-12-2019 at 03:40 PM..
Dottman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 05:59 PM   #4
RedSiGuy

Did they do any welding with the exhaust on the car? They could have fried something in the ecu. Do you have a friend that you can swap ecu’s with or something? I have seen ecu’s Get fried due to someone welding on a car not properly grounded. I don’t think that it is a coincidence that it happened after you got the exhaust. Idk though just tryin to help. Hope it’s not fried.

Sorry didnt see that you ran it in an 03 RSX and it was fine. Idk though. I still think it might go back to something from the exhaust shop.

Last edited by RedSiGuy; 06-13-2019 at 06:03 PM..
RedSiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 04:34 AM   #5
Tehduckeggs

So i found out that if VTC is throwing any sort of code and doesn't function at all, VTEC wont work either. If you manually disable VTC (i-VTEC) in kpro, VTEC works again.

Still doesn't negate the fact that VTC still doesn't work. I did try my ECU in another car and it worked fine but I want to try another kpro'd ECU in my car.

Last night i plugged all the VTC solenoids i have currently into the connector that drives it, while still having one unplugged in the motor. When you start the car there is zero movement in the solenoid, which again, is further reinforcement that its an electrical issue.

Beyond frustrating is an understatement.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:36 AM   #6
Tehduckeggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSiGuy View Post
Did they do any welding with the exhaust on the car? They could have fried something in the ecu. Do you have a friend that you can swap ecuís with or something? I have seen ecuís Get fried due to someone welding on a car not properly grounded. I donít think that it is a coincidence that it happened after you got the exhaust. Idk though just tryin to help. Hope itís not fried.

Sorry didnt see that you ran it in an 03 RSX and it was fine. Idk though. I still think it might go back to something from the exhaust shop.
The VTC issue has been around well before i had the muffler done. Also nothing was welded while it was on the car.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #7
RedSiGuy

That’s a bummer man. Electrical issues are the worst! I used to see them a decent amount at my old shop (Jeep Chrysler Dodge Ram Fiat) The diag charts we use almost always end up at “replace ecu or pcm”. From experience when we get that outcome we usually go through the entire diag flow sheet again to make sure we didn’t miss something because those darn things are expensive. Most of the ones we get are under warranty though so those we just swap. The long and the short of it is that I would say even when our diag flow sheets point us to a new ecu, it fixes the problem about 75 percent of the time.

Other 25% was usually worn through wires touching in a weird spot or a bent pin. Electrical issues are the worst. Wish I had better advice but all I can say is that I feel your pain. Feel free to PM me I may be able to provide you with some more advice that I don’t really want on a public forum.
RedSiGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #8
Tehduckeggs

Quote:
Thatís a bummer man. Electrical issues are the worst! I used to see them a decent amount at my old shop (Jeep Chrysler Dodge Ram Fiat) The diag charts we use almost always end up at ďreplace ecu or pcmĒ. From experience when we get that outcome we usually go through the entire diag flow sheet again to make sure we didnít miss something because those darn things are expensive. Most of the ones we get are under warranty though so those we just swap. The long and the short of it is that I would say even when our diag flow sheets point us to a new ecu, it fixes the problem about 75 percent of the time.

Other 25% was usually worn through wires touching in a weird spot or a bent pin. Electrical issues are the worst. Wish I had better advice but all I can say is that I feel your pain. Feel free to PM me I may be able to provide you with some more advice that I donít really want on a public forum.
PM'd
Old 06-14-2019, 08:16 AM   #9
Tehduckeggs

Quote:
Thatís a bummer man. Electrical issues are the worst! I used to see them a decent amount at my old shop (Jeep Chrysler Dodge Ram Fiat) The diag charts we use almost always end up at ďreplace ecu or pcmĒ. From experience when we get that outcome we usually go through the entire diag flow sheet again to make sure we didnít miss something because those darn things are expensive. Most of the ones we get are under warranty though so those we just swap. The long and the short of it is that I would say even when our diag flow sheets point us to a new ecu, it fixes the problem about 75 percent of the time.

Other 25% was usually worn through wires touching in a weird spot or a bent pin. Electrical issues are the worst. Wish I had better advice but all I can say is that I feel your pain. Feel free to PM me I may be able to provide you with some more advice that I donít really want on a public forum.
For some reason it looks like my PMs arnt going through to you.