Stock VS Skunk2 vs Hybrid Racing? Tensioners - Page 3 - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 08-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #41
allmotorek4
K20a.org Advanced User

Default Re: Stock VS Skunk2 vs Hybrid Racing? Tensioners

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsjnh View Post
I have been wondering this for years
you guys dont use adjustable exhaust gears? so you guy dont retard or advance your exhaust cam?
shortstop kseries07 HonkeyDongu rowbs2k rsxdc502 Cidone [email protected] siborg Jpax TYFOMOTO/NLM StonerTuning JDMTOKER k20buildinprogress greenhatchy purpej1 Brock tjs03si Qfactor vizhunz02si McCoy, edya, checokxx, sicKstee, Kingnacho83, 03K20A3Si allmotor93hatch JO_TECH
allmotorek4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #42
6spd_EK
Lifetime Member

my guess is the competitor in the video was the Toda Racing tensioner. I thought I read somewhere skunk2 came to the rescue of Doug & Derek of hondata & their landspeed car (after it broke & oem & toda one on the dyno) & supplied their tensioner.

I doubt the hybrid-tensioner is in the video but I'd sure like to see it run in the test
Old 08-08-2010, 07:25 PM   #43
Bossman
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorek4 View Post
i drive a honda .i know they do, but they dont burn a lot of oil as other car company tho. you shouldn't have you check your car every night may be 1 or 2 times a week is fine.
hence me saying everytime you fill up the tank(gas)....

You cannot mock some one for being fearful of an oppressive government when you are afraid of walking the streets with legal firearms around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by signalpuke View Post
I can't be the bad guy if you are the bad guy. Two bad guys is too many bad guys. :P
Bossman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #44
K20EF8
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crip View Post
forgot omni and hytech
Thats news to me..... links?
K20EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #45
Bossman
Lifetime Member

Quote:
you guys dont use adjustable exhaust gears? so you guy dont retard or advance your exhaust cam?
having to/wanting to buy an adjustable cam gear to get the most from cams/engine is normal....having to buy one to compensate for a manufacturer's defect is not.

You cannot mock some one for being fearful of an oppressive government when you are afraid of walking the streets with legal firearms around.
Quote:
I can't be the bad guy if you are the bad guy. Two bad guys is too many bad guys. :P
Old 08-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #46
The Artiste
K20a.org Basic User

IMO any skunk 2 product that has any moving parts will fail. I have had 5 junk 2 products and EVERY ONE has had some sort of bs issue whether quality-wise or engineering. I gave up on buying their products. Honestly, after dealing with all the bs of trying to get things warranted and sending parts back and forth, dealing with Hybrid racing is a dream in direct comparison. The people are nicer, more helpful and IMO more helpful. Also if I remember correctly, didn't that HR tensioner that "failed" also do it in such a way that it saved his motor? The second racketing mechanism kicked in where the oem, toda, or S2 would have failed and let the tensioner go all the way back in? Ek4 must have skunk 2 stock or something.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #47
insidiouseg6
Lifetime Member

I think both skunk and hybrid are good tensioners.
.I've always had good working products with skunk2 (b series and k series),which is why I bought a skunk2 tensioner
Old 08-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #48
insidiouseg6
Lifetime Member

Double post sorry!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:51 AM   #49
Brandon Heat
K20a.org Advanced User

I went through 2 HR tensioners in about 2 to 3 weeks, right now my car is laid up at a Target parking lot, waiting to be towed to the shop. We aren't sure of the problem but it occurs when the wheel is turned not pressing the gas(power steering load, low oil pressure environment) it shuts off like it stalled and doesn't turn back on First time a piece of the chain slider was broken off, not sure if it WAS like that or the HR tensioner caused it but if that blurred out Tensioner is the HR it may make sense for my situation...HR did send me a new one no problem the first time, hopefully they'll send a new one again or refund me if my tuner thinks thats a better idea....i'm going to send the skunk2 video to my shop and see if he has anything to say about it...

FYI nothing broke when my stock tensioner broke or the HR the first time..
Brandon Heat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 06:07 AM   #50
e78704
K20a.org Master User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Artiste View Post
IMO any skunk 2 product that has any moving parts will fail...
I have a Skunk2 throttle body on the car and love it. Prefer the feel to OEM, in fact.

What was this thread about, anyway?
e78704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #51
allmotorek4
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
having to/wanting to buy an adjustable cam gear to get the most from cams/engine is normal....having to buy one to compensate for a manufacturer's defect is not.
so what the skunk2 b series pro cams are junk 2 cause you need cams gear to run them? imho the pro series cars are only of the best b series cams out there. having an adjustable is a good thing. what would you do on the dyno with no adjustable cam gear? sit there and adjustable the chain tooth by tooth? lol
shortstop kseries07 HonkeyDongu rowbs2k rsxdc502 Cidone [email protected] siborg Jpax TYFOMOTO/NLM StonerTuning JDMTOKER k20buildinprogress greenhatchy purpej1 Brock tjs03si Qfactor vizhunz02si McCoy, edya, checokxx, sicKstee, Kingnacho83, 03K20A3Si allmotor93hatch JO_TECH
Old 08-09-2010, 01:59 PM   #52
Bossman
Lifetime Member

Quote:
so what the skunk2 b series pro cams are junk 2 cause you need cams gear to run them? imho the pro series cars are only of the best b series cams out there. having an adjustable is a good thing. what would you do on the dyno with no adjustable cam gear? sit there and adjustable the chain tooth by tooth? lol
ok...this seems to be difficult for you to follow..I'll break it down for you.
"so what the skunk2 b series pro cams are junk 2 you need cams gears to run them?"

*You don't NEED cam gears to run them..unless their lobes were not clocked right like some other cams and you need to be able to degree them back to center during tuning.Other than that possibility the only reason you'd want/need cam gears is to bring out the full potential of the cams...not to cover up a flaw in manufacturing.*

"imho the pro series cars(cams?) are only of the best b series out there."

*You opinion means nothing in a discussion of fact...in order to turn your opinion into a valid fact you must have proof.I can think of a handful of b series cams that can compete with skunk2 cams.*

"what would you do on the dyno with no adjustble cam gear? sit there and adjustable the chain tooth by tooth?"

*Considering the K-series has a cam gear that adjusts itself electronically(via tuning) that leaves one that does'nt adjust..and people have made a ton of power leaving it alone,but if the end user wishes to make the most of their cams then they can purchase an exhaust cam gear...to make the most of their cams..not to fix a fault in the design of the cam.*

this is my last post on the subject...it's obvious there's some skank2 nut riders that cling to little wisps of "evidence" that S2 is better than it's taiwan origins.if it works for you then cool,but don't hate on anyone else's game when it works for them.

Quote:
Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #53
allmotorek4
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman View Post
ok...this seems to be difficult for you to follow..I'll break it down for you.
"so what the skunk2 b series pro cams are junk 2 you need cams gears to run them?"

*You don't NEED cam gears to run them..unless their lobes were not clocked right like some other cams and you need to be able to degree them back to center during tuning.Other than that possibility the only reason you'd want/need cam gears is to bring out the full potential of the cams...not to cover up a flaw in manufacturing.*

"imho the pro series cars(cams?) are only of the best b series out there."

*You opinion means nothing in a discussion of fact...in order to turn your opinion into a valid fact you must have proof.I can think of a handful of b series cams that can compete with skunk2 cams.*

"what would you do on the dyno with no adjustble cam gear? sit there and adjustable the chain tooth by tooth?"

*Considering the K-series has a cam gear that adjusts itself electronically(via tuning) that leaves one that does'nt adjust..and people have made a ton of power leaving it alone,but if the end user wishes to make the most of their cams then they can purchase an exhaust cam gear...to make the most of their cams..not to fix a fault in the design of the cam.*

this is my last post on the subject...it's obvious there's some skank2 nut riders that cling to little wisps of "evidence" that S2 is better than it's taiwan origins.if it works for you then cool,but don't hate on anyone else's game when it works for them.
lol your really lost... who gonna run a k series with out i vtec? im talkin about the exhaust cam
Old 08-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #54
K20egcw
K20a.org Master User

Quote:
lol your really lost... who gonna run a k series with out i vtec? im talkin about the exhaust cam
He understands that your talkin about the exhaust cam gear (read the 3rd astric of his post lol). Hes saying why should somebody HAVE to buy an adjustable cam gear to fix a manufacturing problem. You should be able to run the cams without an adjustable cam gear and not have any problems.
Force Fed K20A swapped 93 hatch
K20egcw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #55
Mixwell
k20a.orgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Plenty View Post
Hasty Generalization?
Inductive Reasoning?

I say this because you are not sure of what tensioner is being blurred out in the video. Not defending Hybrid-Racing, but defending the idea that this is a test to showcase a certain manufacturer in the lime light and others in a dim one.
yay for fallacies!

Quote:
i drive a honda .i know they do, but they dont burn a lot of oil as other car company tho. you shouldn't have you check your car every night may be 1 or 2 times a week is fine.
i think a lot of us on here drive hondas
Mixwell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 09:02 PM   #56
ImportRacer2123
IMAKEBOOSTATIDLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Heat View Post
I went through 2 HR tensioners in about 2 to 3 weeks, right now my car is laid up at a Target parking lot, waiting to be towed to the shop. We aren't sure of the problem but it occurs when the wheel is turned not pressing the gas(power steering load, low oil pressure environment) it shuts off like it stalled and doesn't turn back on First time a piece of the chain slider was broken off, not sure if it WAS like that or the HR tensioner caused it but if that blurred out Tensioner is the HR it may make sense for my situation...HR did send me a new one no problem the first time, hopefully they'll send a new one again or refund me if my tuner thinks thats a better idea....i'm going to send the skunk2 video to my shop and see if he has anything to say about it...

FYI nothing broke when my stock tensioner broke or the HR the first time..

what cams do you have? that sucks..

REST IN PEACE BATMAN
gone but never forgotten
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam West View Post
Haters Gonna hate...hate..hate...hate..
ImportRacer2123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 12:55 AM   #57
allmotorek4
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20egcw View Post
He understands that your talkin about the exhaust cam gear (read the 3rd astric of his post lol). Hes saying why should somebody HAVE to buy an adjustable cam gear to fix a manufacturing problem. You should be able to run the cams without an adjustable cam gear and not have any problems.
what is so hard to put a degree wheel on the crank and 0 out the cam? and if you want the most outta your motor your gonna need a cam gear anyways. so why are you guys are bitching about a cam gear that would be needed to extract most power outta your motor? that like saying hey dont buy those cams cause your gonna need to upgrade your valvetrain.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:58 AM   #58
Topo Gigio
Lifetime Member

Quote:
what is so hard to put a degree wheel on the crank and 0 out the cam? and if you want the most outta your motor your gonna need a cam gear anyways. so why are you guys are bitching about a cam gear that would be needed to extract most power outta your motor? that like saying hey dont buy those cams cause your gonna need to upgrade your valvetrain.
LOL at extracting the most out of an engine using skunk parts.

Screwed up cams that require an adjustable gear to fix their manufacturing defect
Topo Gigio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2010, 05:54 AM   #59
insidiouseg6
Lifetime Member

I'd sure pay the price on a part that is ganna make more power...if it had a defect or not...isn't that why most people build motors?to get the best power out of them!but lets get back to topic with tensioners
Old 08-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #60
91whitecivic
K20a.org Advanced User

That skunk2 tensioner looks to be the buisness.
91whitecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message