PRC Mani Worth it? - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 07-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
keto06

Default PRC Mani Worth it?

I picked up a set of ITR cams for my 04 Type S and plan on getting the ITR Reflash (no Kpro here)

I see it was tuned with 11.5 comp and a bigger TB (which Im told was negligible) on a PRC intake manifold
Since I was told by Hondata that the RBC was not tested with the reflash and is therefore probably not compatible,i was wondering if the PRC mani would be worthwhile to buy since the tune was done with a PRC on.

Before you try and convince me to use the money for Kpro or buy an RBC and save, or whatever, dont waste your time. I dont want KPro and I dont want the RBC if its incompatible.

Im getting the reflash either way, I just want to know if I should buy the PRC. (and I will be using a Hondata IMG as well, if anyone cares. I havent looked into this P.I.M.P thing Ive seen mentioned)
keto06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
6spd_EK
Lifetime Member

Default Re: PRC Mani Worth it?

this is not the answer that you want to hear but K-pro is well worth the money. Imagine this a stock ECU with ITR flash VS fully tuned K-pro

stock k20a ITR with intake & header & RBC

before is running stock ITR map (or reflash) after is tuned on K-pro... gains of 40+ whp & 40+ lb/ft in the midrange +10-15whp up top

to answer your question - save your money. if you buy a PRC I hope you pay $150 or less & you might gain a few hp
Old 07-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
keto06

1)The ITR flash is already well developed from Hondata, I find it hard to believe that much power could be extracted...which leads me to point #2

2) Much of that midrange difference can be attributed to the ITR flash not being made for the RBC manifold which is known to significantly change characteristics vs the PRC.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
6spd_EK
Lifetime Member

edit - nevermind I thought you meant reflash with the ITR basemap

still, I highly suggest K-pro

the only real true answer to your question is TEST the PRB vs PRC IM. via lap times on a track, 1/4 mile times & traps, or on a dyno
Old 07-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
TheMidasTouch
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by keto06 View Post
1)The ITR flash is already well developed from Hondata, I find it hard to believe that much power could be extracted...which leads me to point #2

2) Much of that midrange difference can be attributed to the ITR flash not being made for the RBC manifold which is known to significantly change characteristics vs the PRC.
You don't have to believe it. It simply is. Like the color Red. It's not up to you.

But that's ok. Because people who keep their head in the sand are easy to pass. And people who are easy to pass, I like.

Someone had the same thought you did already, and tested it. These are those test results.

If those are big gains to you over the a base map or 'flash' then I challenge you to accept that this is the same motor(mine) with nothing more changed then hours and hours of tuning. Because it is...
TheMidasTouch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
keto06

ok well that was never the issue here sir. I know power can be made with a K Pro but to me, its just not worth the extra money.

As far as testing via dynos or whatever, thanks, but just wanted to know if anyone had an experience with this matter.

I was more or less pwned, so goodnight and Tesla out.

/thread
Old 07-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
Mr_Plenty
K20a.org Master User

^^^LMAO LMAO
VOUCHES: HNAperformance, civic5133, onefstek, civicmotorhead-1320WhtRex-#2, allmotora2, pb16b, tuner04civic, Stockcrx, BuiltRsx, 3k1n,*HAZARD*club
Mr_Plenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
sleeper6speg
Lifetime Member

kpro is the one of the best tools you can invest in when owning a k-series. Anyone with a k-series would be stupid to say that a kpro isn't worth it. It is by far one of the best investment I've made on my setup since owning a k-series.
sleeper6speg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #9
jon v
Lifetime Member

Quote:
ok well that was never the issue here sir. I know power can be made with a K Pro but to me, its just not worth the extra money.

As far as testing via dynos or whatever, thanks, but just wanted to know if anyone had an experience with this matter.

I was more or less pwned, so goodnight and Tesla out.

/thread

As much as I have to agree with these guys and say that K-pro is definetly the way to go, I would like to point out why the ITR reflash is not a good option instead... If you were going to do this then yes a PRC would be a good option because the tune was done with that manifold. But you will also need a higher compression ratio to take advantage of the flash tune...

So as much as you may not agree that K-pro is worth the money I think buying a flash tune for your car that doesnt even match yoru setup is an even bigger waste of money...

K-pro offers the advantages of a "flash" x 10 easy
think about what you are saying here. educated people are saying that some portions of this safety device are in direct conflict with this little thing called physics and you are willing to ignore that simply because of the cage builders reputation? that sounds like religion to me. welcome to the church of fanboyology.
jon v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 07:13 PM   #10
aznasinine
K20a.org Basic User

K pro is like a Degree for your car...might cost a lot up front but will pay for it self in the doors it opens
aznasinine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2009, 10:11 PM   #11
A Mack
K20a.org Master User

never heard any one say that about k pro. I agree fully with jon v. A reflash wont do you so good because the itr has higher comp.
A Mack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
kidkombo
K20a.org Basic User

hardparkers dont need kpro its okay! btw that itr map runs super rich and i have a k20a itr motor with that map on my kpro as a temp until i got fine tuned

your best bet is just to not get a flash at all....no matter what it still needs to get fine tuned, and like what everyone says the unit will pay for itself especially if you decide to build a motor, boost it etc.... u can tailor it to your situation. i cant see why that is a bad thing!

from gsr with boltons to semibuilt b16b to k20aR muahahaha and i look in my wallet and i see nothing
kidkombo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #13
keto06

ok so I have decided...to get KPro.

Even though i wont ever boost or build some all motor beast, its worth the 400bux extra to me to be able to "keep an eye on things."

In all seriousness I prolly wont do any real dyno tuning on the car, I will just prolly load the ITR kal and datalog the AFRs and check for knock and call it a day.

Sure, I know, not taking KPro to its full advantage but meh, I need a new toy to play with after all my tuning stuff (other laptop, wideband, datalogging cable, software etc) was stolen with my car back in April. Since then I have had an itch to tune and it took you dudes to bring it out in me, so thanks, I suppose.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
[email protected]
K20a.org Master User

lol good for you man,wise choice
ELFATHER@wire-worx.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #15
TheMidasTouch
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
ok so I have decided...to get KPro.

Even though i wont ever boost or build some all motor beast, its worth the 400bux extra to me to be able to "keep an eye on things."

In all seriousness I prolly wont do any real dyno tuning on the car, I will just prolly load the ITR kal and datalog the AFRs and check for knock and call it a day.

Sure, I know, not taking KPro to its full advantage but meh, I need a new toy to play with after all my tuning stuff (other laptop, wideband, datalogging cable, software etc) was stolen with my car back in April. Since then I have had an itch to tune and it took you dudes to bring it out in me, so thanks, I suppose.
Congrats!

I'm actually a tuner and the OEM wideband makes it easy to help get it dialed in with some usual street driving. Feel free to send me some logs and I'll see if I can help. I would still get it dyno tuned eventually, but I should be able to save you an hour or two of time.

Good luck man.
TheMidasTouch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #16
keto06

sweet. thanks man.

I do FREE NA Base Tunes for N/A K20s. PM Me for more info.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:46 PM   #17
jon v
Lifetime Member

good choice...

make sure you let us know if you think it's worth it after you get it
think about what you are saying here. educated people are saying that some portions of this safety device are in direct conflict with this little thing called physics and you are willing to ignore that simply because of the cage builders reputation? that sounds like religion to me. welcome to the church of fanboyology.
jon v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #18
keto06

will do. LOL.

I do FREE NA Base Tunes for N/A K20s. PM Me for more info.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #19
Garenty
K20a.org Basic User

I have a PRC Mani. with R-Crew plenum, ported to accept 70mm throttle body
$175 + shipping [email protected]
Garenty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #20
kb58
K20a.org Master User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeper6speg View Post
...Anyone with a k-series would be stupid to say that a kpro isn't worth it...
That's a bit strong. I try not to tell anyone how to spend their money since it's unknown what their financial situation is. For you, $1000 might be pocket change, but don't assume it's the same for everyone.

It's like a thread I saw on tow vehicles, a guy telling everyone it's stupid to tow with anything except a full-size diesel truck. Okay, but since he's wasn't volunteering to buy everyone a $40K truck, it's silly to say that. People make due with what they have.

I know what you mean, that on the list of things to buy when modifying a K-series go, a KPro should be near the top, but it's a bit much to insult them if they don't let you spend their money they may not have.