good spring rates for +30 16x8 225/45 square - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 10-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
Briannn_Dc2

Default good spring rates for +30 16x8 225/45 square

Hey whats up everyone just looking for some insight. title says it all lol.

So im hardly rubbing in my integra in the rear ive adjusted my alignment a lot but it doesnt seem to do justice, i have the fenders rolled flat with hardly any pull if any, my current coilovers are Buddyclub N+ with the standard springs that come with them( F=8K R=6K ). running an asr 24.5 hollow sway bar no strut. hoping not to roll the fenders more but if it must be done it must be done lol

i will say that i plan to use it for track use in the future along with spirited driving but im not someone who is afraid to run a stiff setup in the street so if anyone has advice on what spring rate that would be great

also i plan to go with eibach mp r2 coilovers in the future.

Last edited by Briannn_Dc2; 10-25-2017 at 07:31 PM..
Briannn_Dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
katman
Lifetime Member

Default Re: good spring rates for +30 16x8 225/45 square

yea those buddyclub N+ rates are pretty soft/comfy mode (8k=448lbs / 6k=330lbs). Definitely ramp up the rear rates and fronts. You can do a test and swap the front 8k's to the rear and 6k's to the front and see how the rubbing reacts before doing any spring upgrades.

Also you should double check with buddyclub and see what the maximum spring rate those N+ shocks are valved to handle. IIRC buddyclub's can handle about 2k higher rates max before needing a revalving job to handle higher rates, but i would hit them up for confirmation. Those JDM brand coilovers are usually valved for the spring rates they come with, unlike Koni Yellow Race shocks that can handle up to 1000lbs rates.

If you're pretty much a newb to road racing, I wouldn't jump into stiff rates just yet. Should take baby steps in the spring rate department and learn to feel your car ie. understeer/oversteer etc.. Stiff rates (over 700lbs) can give you snap oversteer and if you've never experienced that you're gonna have brown undies.

I would suggest going 600front/500 rear as an upgrade from your current rates. Its a good middle ground rate. You can also swap the 600's to the rear and get use to the feel of some slight oversteer. Safe is a neutral feel but eventually you'll want more oversteer on an FF.

Spring rates also segue into your drivetrain via throttle modulation and the type of LSD you may have.
-----------------------
FF SQUAD | FFS TechNet | FFS Videos

Last edited by katman; 12-03-2017 at 09:29 PM..
katman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Briannn_Dc2

Default Re: good spring rates for +30 16x8 225/45 square

Quote:
Originally Posted by katman View Post
yea those buddyclub N+ rates are pretty soft/comfy mode (8k=448lbs / 6k=330lbs). Definitely ramp up the rear rates and fronts. You can do a test and swap the front 8k's to the rear and 6k's to the front and see how the rubbing reacts before doing any spring upgrades.

Also you should double check with buddyclub and see what the maximum spring rate those N+ shocks are valved to handle. IIRC buddyclub's can handle about 2k higher rates max before needing a revalving job to handle higher rates, but i would hit them up for confirmation. Those JDM brand coilovers are usually valved for the spring rates they come with, unlike Koni Yellow Race shocks that can handle up to 1000lbs rates.

If you're pretty much a newb to road racing, I wouldn't jump into stiff rates just yet. Should take baby steps in the spring rate department and learn to feel your car ie. understeer/oversteer etc.. Stiff rates (over 700lbs) can give you snap oversteer and if you've never experienced that you're gonna have brown undies.

I would suggest going 600front/500 rear as an upgrade from your current rates. Its a good middle ground rate. You can also swap the 600's to the rear and get use to the feel of some slight oversteer. Safe is a neutral feel but eventually you'll want more oversteer on an FF.

Spring rates also segue into your drivetrain via throttle modulation and the type of LSD you may have.
hey thanks man! first of all been a fan of your work for ages. now to get into this little bit of info haha. so i did do a bit of research i know that my spring rates are 10k F and 7K rear as of what the BCusa website says but i swore they were 12 and 8 when i bought them a few years back, anyways i found that the race specs handle about the same as the konis you were talking about so im going to assume this is only less.

furthermore i ended up ordering some 14k rear springs anyways, i got them pretty cheap and i wont be using these buddyclubs for too long anywas and i can always reuse the spring and do a 16k F in the future.

and yes im a nub when it comes to road racing since i havent been on the track but ive done some excessive spirited driving in my car and exotics that i have worked on but im not afraid of snap over steer i have definitely dealt with it before and i definitely do want my car to oversteer more i can tell you a small portion of my setup.

k20z3(216whp/160wtq) w/bolt ons and oem lsd in a gsr chassis; esm race spherical rta/camber arms. function 7 lca asr subframe brace 1inch hollow rear sway bar with spherical end links, as for the front i need some upgrading its pretty much stock besides a cheap bwr camber kit and spoon rigid collar hard race end links and i dont even have extended ball joints anymore since i changed to 5 lug from a 36mm 4 lug setup i am running a traction bar still. i plan to get everything before i really go crazy at the track i might do some testing and what not but nothing crazy.

on a side note im going to corner weight balance the car at work soon after i install these springs if i find time. i have a ways to go with the car but i do have a lot into it already i just definitely needed that good bit of advice and of course more seat time and research. i have a pretty decent idea of what i want to do though.

i really appreciate the time you took for all that advice though it was definitely a great help for sure! im also open to any other advice you may have for me haha

Last edited by Briannn_Dc2; 12-05-2017 at 06:34 PM..
Briannn_Dc2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message