vtec killer, k20a3, gt35@14psi need help with best vct angle under boost - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 02-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #1
cbales333

Default vtec killer, k20a3, [email protected] need help with best vct angle under boost

hi I've searched high and low for some good vct angles under boost for my vtec killer setup and ive come up dry. 3 posts I read said they go as high as *45 or *50 with no valve interface, one guy said he bent 7 intake valves going above *30? my highest angle ive gone is *25 with no problem but I want to go higher because I was still building torque in my midrange with the more vct advance I gave it. let me know if you guys have any info.

thanks,
cody
cbales333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #2
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

Default Re: vtec killer, k20a3, [email protected] need help with best vct angle under boost

You have a very vague description of setup.... would need to know what is in the motor . Cams,piston setup. Is it a stock motor? Stuff like that is key.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #3
cbales333

Default Re: vtec killer, k20a3, [email protected] need help with best vct angle under boost

its a base k20a3 block and head (k20a3 pistons), the only mods to the block is ive installed oil squitter's, and ive put type s springs and retainers. I have a gt35r82 pushing 12 to 14 psi. it has a vtec killer setup with z3 cams in it. my main question is how much VCT angle can I give it without the intake valves hitting the pistons. im still building midrange torque @ *25 angle and id like to push it until torque starts to drop.

thanks,
cody

Old 02-10-2016, 09:02 AM   #4
cbales333

here's a pic. the only outside mods I have is a vacuum pump hooked up to the valve cover breather that comes on under boost, its hooked up to a exhaust venturi in my exhaust cut out (12psi closed exhaust, 14psi open exhaust) it also has a external air/oil cooler. also has water/meth injection
Old 02-10-2016, 07:34 PM   #5
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbales333 View Post
its a base k20a3 block and head (k20a3 pistons)
This is still stock A3 rods? If so this motor will not last very long.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:30 AM   #6
cbales333

I know the capability of the A3, forums don't give it much credit but for a complete engine you can buy for $500 and get 400hp out of it that's impressive to me. ive had the turbo on the engine for 3 years with lots of abuse and it hasn't let me down, I just recently did the cam killer in hopes to get a little more out of it. that's why im here asking and looking around for a good answer before I push my angle past *25.

thanks,
cody
Old 02-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #7
D-Rob
K20a.org Advanced User

I have run that setup to 40deg without issue in the past. Go for it.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #8
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

Im only speaking on behalf of my ep3. lol it lasted little over a year at 260hp and then gave up the ghost. Got that window block .