Best cams for ported head turbo, 800+hp range - Page 2 - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 10-28-2015, 02:04 AM   #21
DaSlowestCL9
K20a.org Basic User

Default Re: Best cams for ported head turbo, 800+hp range

Looking forward to your thoughts on the KMOD head. I'm looking into going the same route...
DaSlowestCL9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2015, 05:08 AM   #22
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSlowestCL9 View Post
Looking forward to your thoughts on the KMOD head. I'm looking into going the same route...
Head so far seams legit . And from speaking to marquis about the process and the work involved, it should turn out nice .

Old 01-20-2016, 11:19 PM   #23
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

I have been back and forth thinking about cams for a while now. Reading this , talking to others and hearing what they have to say.

Maybe i am being a little too picky (hard headed)

Cams people have told me to go with on my setup.
-Skunk 2 ultra 2
-Pray 2
-Pray 3
-DC 2.2
-DC Elite endurance

I have seen and heard many good things on the Prayoonto cams , not so much info out there on the others . Just word of mouth.

Ive spoken with rob at prayoonto and he keeps telling me to either run the stg.2 or the stg.3 for they have a great record and make lots of power. Not to mention they are easy on the valvetrain.

For a while i have had a interest in the web turbo cam which is a .560 lift . What caught my eye was the high lift , short duration. I was told that a cam of that sort would not be very good for the valve train life at my hp goals.

One factor that i want is to have a reliable motor and not have it k.O itself .

I have seen good results from the sk2 ultra 2 cams for they have made slight improvments over the pray 2's on a k20. Granted the power band has shifted up the rpm range and requires you to rev to 11k .

So with speaking with rob he has convinced me to go with either the stg2 or the stg 3 .

Old 01-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #24
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

Here is just some things i seen tonight..... unsure of wht cams were tested but they are skunk2. This is a k20 on upper 20psi range.

Old 01-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #25
DRAG
K20a.org Master User

That dyno is a 4Piston Pro 156 head and a Skunk2 camshaft. She pulled pretty hard up to 11. I wish they would have kept pulling it.
DRAG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2016, 07:18 PM   #26
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAG View Post
That dyno is a 4Piston Pro 156 head and a Skunk2 camshaft. She pulled pretty hard up to 11. I wish they would have kept pulling it.
I am assuming the cam is new for he did not state what cam was being tested. The power band looks awesome tho! Id like to know the specs on such cam.
Old 01-27-2016, 08:02 PM   #27
DRAG
K20a.org Master User

I'm not sure if they want it posted for everyone to see. It's not my place to say.

Make sure you have a good valve spring in there. Thats just as important.
DRAG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2016, 08:07 PM   #28
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
I'm not sure if they want it posted for everyone to see. It's not my place to say.

Make sure you have a good valve spring in there. Thats just as important.
Judging from when the power starts to come in i would say its a pretty decent size lift cam.
Old 01-28-2016, 12:34 AM   #29
LotusElise
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr3w108 View Post
...I have seen good results from the sk2 ultra 2 cams for they have made slight improvments over the pray 2's on a k20.
Hi kr3w108, would you mind to share dyno results, kind of aspiration and application aim? I am really interested in it .

Quote:
Make sure you have a good valve spring in there...
Hi DRAG, would you mind to share what would be a good valve spring for example?

Thanks in advance guys.

Markus
LotusElise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2016, 01:21 AM   #30
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusElise View Post
Hi kr3w108, would you mind to share dyno results, kind of aspiration and application aim? I am really interested in it .

Hi DRAG, would you mind to share what would be a good valve spring for example?

Thanks in advance guys.

Markus
The results are from a personal friend. He does not have a picture of side buy side . The Ultra 2 were within 10hp on 5-6 less psi over the pray 2's. Now the peak power is higher in the rpm range which would require a higher rev limit. From what he told me the cams do well from about 7-10.5krpms

I opted to just buy the pray 2's because the power band would start much sooner and everyone that i have spoke with have said the cams will carry to 11k rpm. I dont see making a couple extra hp up top to only have a smaller power band. Someone making 1015 hp isnt always beat someone making only 1000hp. It comes down to who has the better car at that point. I rather have a FAT power band over making a couple ponies up high.

My car is not a dyno queen and i dont plan on it ever being one. Now as far as being a drag car launching at 6k If i have a better power band ill already be making more power sooner.

Last edited by kr3w108; 01-28-2016 at 01:27 AM..
kr3w108 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2016, 03:26 AM   #31
LotusElise
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!

Quote:
...The Ultra 2 were within 10hp on 5-6 less psi over the pray 2's...From what he told me the cams do well from about 7-10.5krpms
That's good to hear. I will ask SickSilver_ep3 for the valve [email protected]", they only state cam duration at their website.

Quote:
...buy the pray 2's because the power band would start much sooner...
What shifting engine speed you will configure? Or wich engine speed the engine will have after the first full pull shift?

Last edited by LotusElise; 01-28-2016 at 03:31 AM..
Old 01-28-2016, 04:05 AM   #32
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
What shifting engine speed you will configure? Or wich engine speed the engine will have after the first full pull shift?
I like to tune my car as I would on the track so full pull will be a min of 10.5 max of 11k
Old 01-28-2016, 04:22 AM   #33
LotusElise
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!

Quote:
...full pull will be a min of 10.5 max of 11k
Ok, no I understand fully why you won't use 14+ mm cams . Did you ever have issues with the chain lengthening at that kind of engine speed extension?

At max about 53,000 N/bolt, giving a 3/8" ARP 625+ safety factor of 1.2...cold condition, warm . What kind of rod bolts do you use?

Last edited by LotusElise; 01-28-2016 at 04:25 AM..
Old 01-28-2016, 04:53 AM   #34
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
Ok, no I understand fully why you won't use 14+ mm cams . Did you ever have issues with the chain lengthening at that kind of engine speed extension?

At max about 53,000 N/bolt, giving a 3/8" ARP 625+ safety factor of 1.2...cold condition, warm . What kind of rod bolts do you use?
None that I am aware of . I have the 3/8 2000 series rod bolts . 200,000 yield .
Old 01-28-2016, 05:12 AM   #35
LotusElise
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!

Quote:
None that I am aware of . I have the 3/8 2000 series rod bolts . 200,000 yield .
I have no experience concering issues of lengthened rod bolts. I just know, rod bolts are mounted normally overstretched...I know no better word for it, we torque rod bolts that high that they get over the 0.2 % elongation, that mean every further yield is plasticity, which should be prevented .

The design verification model I use is common bolt stuff, every engineer will use to calculate bolt constructions, I assume it is very conservative. But I for myself will use it as a guideline and ARP2000 bolts have a safety factor of 0.96 (assuming 440 g rod and 330 g for piston) in cold condition (86 mm stroke, 11 krpm). Most steels has the disadvantage of loosing yield strengh under higher temperature and we should assume those bolts have at least oil temperature, likely +20 C more (friction, heat conduction to piston, not best cooling conditions, ...).

Just my
Old 01-29-2016, 07:41 PM   #36
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

The the recommended stretch is all but about 75% of the bolt life. That number is the best clamping force at the highest level of durability.

Torque for arp 3/8 2000 series is roughly between 40-55 foot pounds to reach desired stretch.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:49 PM   #37
LotusElise
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!

Quote:
...Torque for arp 3/8 2000 series is roughly between 40-55 foot pounds to reach desired stretch.
That's my point, the prestressing force, which keep the fastener system tight, of the rod bolt, resulting out of the 55 ftlb (= 75 Nm) is too low for 11 krpm. The mass forces will stretch the bolt (= risk of bending valves, you know that issue ). To prevent this, it should be at 88 Nm, and this would kill an ARP 2000 rod bolt...therefore the higher yield strength material of the ARP 625+ is necessary.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:28 AM   #38
kr3w108
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
That's my point, the prestressing force, which keep the fastener system tight, of the rod bolt, resulting out of the 55 ftlb (= 75 Nm) is too low for 11 krpm. The mass forces will stretch the bolt (= risk of bending valves, you know that issue ). To prevent this, it should be at 88 Nm, and this would kill an ARP 2000 rod bolt...therefore the higher yield strength material of the ARP 625+ is necessary.

The 625 ARP bolt is only a recomended 50-60lb feet torque to get desired stretch. 88Nm would be a little too much as the bolt would be beyond is saftey net.
Old 01-30-2016, 05:46 AM   #39
LotusElise
Arouse the DAMPFHAMMER!

Quote:
The 625 ARP bolt is only a recomended 50-60lb feet torque to get desired stretch. 88Nm would be a little too much as the bolt would be beyond is saftey net.
Mmmhhh...at least 7 Nm difference?! I will recheck all constants (material, geometry) in the fastener calculation model I took out of property tables. Maybe intrution amount assumption of rod material is too big...I will come back with it.

If correct, 7/16" bolts would be necessary in that setup, as the model calculates safety factor for yield and the minimum rod bolt torque to cover all forces additional to it's origin task: to fasten .

By the way, Joe McCarthy always used for his 9000+ rpm engines A1 7/16" bolts and did set P2V clearance to 2+ mm, for 11.5 krpm he saw even 3.5 mm P2V clearance as a necessity. May own calculations shows only 2.4 mm at a safety factor of 2 (lengthening of piston is to complex for me ).

Markus

Last edited by LotusElise; 01-30-2016 at 05:49 AM..
Old 01-30-2016, 08:44 AM   #40
REALDEAL
K20a.org Basic User

Wondering why you you didnt elect to go with the pro156 program.