Skunk2 Composite Fuel Rail - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 07-06-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
crazykoolblue

Default Skunk2 Composite Fuel Rail

been looking around at fuel rails, just wondering if anyone has used Skunk2's composite fuel rail and what did you think of it? I understand it is supposed to keep fuel cooler, but I haven't seen it on any setups I've read. How does it compare to hybrid racing, ktuned, or other rails? Thanks for any info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
timot_one
...doesn't give a shit.

Default Re: Skunk2 Composite Fuel Rail

I had one on my motor a long time ago. The fitment wasn't very good. I took it off and replaced it with a HR fuel rail instead.

If you're looking for one, I can dig it up and sell it. I don't plan on using it again.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
crazykoolblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by timot_one View Post
I had one on my motor a long time ago. The fitment wasn't very good. I took it off and replaced it with a HR fuel rail instead.

If you're looking for one, I can dig it up and sell it. I don't plan on using it again.
what was wrong with the fitment? you selling it cheap since it doesn't fit well?

Old 07-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
timot_one
...doesn't give a shit.

It had the fitting so you could use it with your stock fuel lines. That didn't work very well and it didn't reach. I had to bend the adapter to get it to work.

This was before I upgraded my fuel system, so I was still using my stock fuel lines.

I'll let it got for a fair price though.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
crazykoolblue

Quote:
It had the fitting so you could use it with your stock fuel lines. That didn't work very well and it didn't reach. I had to bend the adapter to get it to work.

This was before I upgraded my fuel system, so I was still using my stock fuel lines.

I'll let it got for a fair price though.
Did you just happen to buy the wrong one? The two on the site are slightly different where the adapter is depending on if it's a 06+ Si or any other model. Other than the fitment, what did you think of it?

What kind of price are you thinking?
Old 07-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #6
timot_one
...doesn't give a shit.

There wasn't an option for my application. I was using a RSX Type S fuel rail previously, and it fit perfectly. That's why I ordered the S2 rail for the RSX Type S. It didn't fit without having to bend the inlet line. Overall, I just wasn't happy with the fit and finish of it.

I'll PM you what I like to get for it.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #7
crazykoolblue

Quote:
There wasn't an option for my application. I was using a RSX Type S fuel rail previously, and it fit perfectly. That's why I ordered the S2 rail for the RSX Type S. It didn't fit without having to bend the inlet line. Overall, I just wasn't happy with the fit and finish of it.

I'll PM you what I like to get for it.
What is your application? K24a4? Any comments on the performance of the rail?
Old 07-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
timot_one
...doesn't give a shit.

Yes. It was on a k24a4. As far as performance, it did its job. I never went so far to see if it actually helped reduce fuel temps.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
crazykoolblue

Quote:
Yes. It was on a k24a4. As far as performance, it did its job. I never went so far to see if it actually helped reduce fuel temps.
Thanks man.

Anyone else out there with any experience with this rail?
Old 07-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
eK24monster
K20a.org Master User

Its just a fuel rail... what kind of performance info do you want people to give?
eK24monster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #11
crazykoolblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eK24monster View Post
Its just a fuel rail... what kind of performance info do you want people to give?
Just wondering if there was anything that made it worth the extra money over a Hybrid Racing or K-Tuned rail. I'm guessing from that statement that there's not enough of a difference to matter.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #12
eK24monster
K20a.org Master User

The difference is simple... One is made from a material that rejects heat and the other one does not. It may be difficult to quantify the value but on paper it's easy.

If I owned an aluminum rail already, I don't think I'd run out and buy a composite one, however, if I didn't own one and I was in the market for one... I'd buy this as long as it was in my budget.
eK24monster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
TYFOMOTO/NLM
K20a.org Basic User

Think about what features your going to need for your setup.

ask yourself if you want to add a gauge or do you want to run one line to the rail or two, big bore , small bore, stuff like that should be your determining factor. not hype materials like composts.
Old 07-16-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
crazykoolblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eK24monster View Post
The difference is simple... One is made from a material that rejects heat and the other one does not. It may be difficult to quantify the value but on paper it's easy.

If I owned an aluminum rail already, I don't think I'd run out and buy a composite one, however, if I didn't own one and I was in the market for one... I'd buy this as long as it was in my budget.
Yeah, I understand the material, but like you said, I just didn't know if it was worth it. Thanks tho, that makes sense
Old 07-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #15
egkswap
K20a.org Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazykoolblue View Post
Yeah, I understand the material, but like you said, I just didn't know if it was worth it. Thanks tho, that makes sense
Actually, designing a fuel rail does matter. Has anyone on here ever used solidworks new flow analysis program? Why do you think there are engineers in the field of race development? Do you think parts just design and make themselves? Anyone who says a fuel rail is just a fuel rail is a fuck tard and you shouldn't be commenting on things you obviously know nothing about. Sick and tired of it actually. Our engineers and REAL race car drivers work extra hard to bring YOU the consumer better parts and new innovative parts to the ever growing aftermarket performance industry and all for what? For people to input and guide potential customers in the wrong direction? Not on my clock.

Look to answer your question, skunk2 developed a composite rail because the engineering behind it makes sense but the cost to develop it is very high. Composite material desipates heat a lot faster and also is pretty strong. Now aluminum also desipates heat but not as fast. Aluminum is much cheaper to develop parts with than composite due to many factors but first being the actualy mold of the design. Molding is very expensive and its necessary when you want to create a part with volume behind it.

To make an educated guess skunk2 probably spent at least $25,000-$30,000 just for the mold itself. Every design needs a mold. How many different composite fuel rails do they make? You do the math and that's just the mold not including what needs to spent on manufacturing the actualy part in volume.

Now as far as reviews?
There are members on k20a.org and other forums who have made big power using the composite fuel rail but for one reason or another decided to change things up like your buddy above us who commented on why he changed his (fitment issues). There are also many who have used the K-tuned rail and other manufactures fuel rails and have made good power as well.

How much does a fuel rail effect your set-up? It could be huge if designed with a lot of different characteristic in mind. For instance, how can you create more velocity? How can you keep fuel temperatures low without sacrificing cost? Will adding more functions such as a way to tuck your wires (AEM), or tucking your fuel lines like k-tuned, effect how my fuel will be delivered to each combustion chamber? Maybe, but all these characterics have to be tested and tried first through tools such as flow analysis and other softwares that can help achieve the goals we have in mind.

What's out there now in the market that is of good quality and with superior engineering behind the Design? Not much, but through the end user many can give you experienced reviews and that's the best route. Me personally i have used golden eagle's fuel rail, Aem's fuel rail and many others and I was not impressed to say the least. I studied them and analyzed the process that was taken to make the product and I saw a lot of short cuts and missed many key designs that could have made the product better which is why I now develop my own perfomance parts.

When deciding which fuel rail to go with make sure the company shows you information behind there engineering process and not some company who made parts based on DIY trials and have no back ground in engineering at all. Hope this serves as good advice and if not you can pm me and we can search together for the right fuel rail for your application and HP goals in mind.

Hope you find a good fuel rail and hope you actually learned something. Happy trails.

egkswap is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
crazykoolblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by egkswap View Post
Actually, designing a fuel rail does matter. Has anyone on here ever used solidworks new flow analysis program? Why do you think there are engineers in the field of race development? Do you think parts just design and make themselves? Anyone who says a fuel rail is just a fuel rail is a fuck tard and you shouldn't be commenting on things you obviously know nothing about. Sick and tired of it actually. Our engineers and REAL race car drivers work extra hard to bring YOU the consumer better parts and new innovative parts to the ever growing aftermarket performance industry and all for what? For people to input and guide potential customers in the wrong direction? Not on my clock.

Look to answer your question, skunk2 developed a composite rail because the engineering behind it makes sense but the cost to develop it is very high. Composite material desipates heat a lot faster and also is pretty strong. Now aluminum also desipates heat but not as fast. Aluminum is much cheaper to develop parts with than composite due to many factors but first being the actualy mold of the design. Molding is very expensive and its necessary when you want to create a part with volume behind it.

To make an educated guess skunk2 probably spent at least $25,000-$30,000 just for the mold itself. Every design needs a mold. How many different composite fuel rails do they make? You do the math and that's just the mold not including what needs to spent on manufacturing the actualy part in volume.

Now as far as reviews?
There are members on k20a.org and other forums who have made big power using the composite fuel rail but for one reason or another decided to change things up like your buddy above us who commented on why he changed his (fitment issues). There are also many who have used the K-tuned rail and other manufactures fuel rails and have made good power as well.

How much does a fuel rail effect your set-up? It could be huge if designed with a lot of different characteristic in mind. For instance, how can you create more velocity? How can you keep fuel temperatures low without sacrificing cost? Will adding more functions such as a way to tuck your wires (AEM), or tucking your fuel lines like k-tuned, effect how my fuel will be delivered to each combustion chamber? Maybe, but all these characterics have to be tested and tried first through tools such as flow analysis and other softwares that can help achieve the goals we have in mind.

What's out there now in the market that is of good quality and with superior engineering behind the Design? Not much, but through the end user many can give you experienced reviews and that's the best route. Me personally i have used golden eagle's fuel rail, Aem's fuel rail and many others and I was not impressed to say the least. I studied them and analyzed the process that was taken to make the product and I saw a lot of short cuts and missed many key designs that could have made the product better which is why I now develop my own perfomance parts.

When deciding which fuel rail to go with make sure the company shows you information behind there engineering process and not some company who made parts based on DIY trials and have no back ground in engineering at all. Hope this serves as good advice and if not you can pm me and we can search together for the right fuel rail for your application and HP goals in mind.

Hope you find a good fuel rail and hope you actually learned something. Happy trails.

Damn.. Honestly, that is the kind of response I was looking for. I knew that a fuel rail isn't just a fuel rail if companies are bothering to design them. Thank you for the info. I'll pm you shortly.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
Stoney

I bought one for a k20z4, I also use the RRC inlet manifold so when the first didn't fit I had it swapped to one made for the FD2 civic. It didn't either.

I decided to make it fit my reshaping the fuel feed pipe ( Timot one had the same issue ) and also the bracket that sits under the RHS support tower also needed redrilling.

They are a nice piece of kit, personally I don't buy into the gains from cooler fuel talk and I base my choice on pure aesthetics.
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
crazykoolblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
I bought one for a k20z4, I also use the RRC inlet manifold so when the first didn't fit I had it swapped to one made for the FD2 civic. It didn't either.

I decided to make it fit my reshaping the fuel feed pipe ( Timot one had the same issue ) and also the bracket that sits under the RHS support tower also needed redrilling.

They are a nice piece of kit, personally I don't buy into the gains from cooler fuel talk and I base my choice on pure aesthetics.
noted. piece of kit? lol. Thanks for the input