K20a2 swap into EP3 - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
mooky_stank

Default K20a2 swap into EP3

I am looking into buying a k20a2 rebuilt longblock from a remanufacturer, and using my k20a3 transmission (I know that I will drop out of Vtec). I have done research on this site and many others, and thanks to help from threads by members such as WhiteOnRice, I understand a good portion of what I must do.

This is what I have:

2004 K20a3 complete engine and transmission
Apexi Axelback exhaust
HPR Headers
Injen Short Ram Intake

This is what I understand so far:
I will need a Type-S ECU and wiring Harness (I read that you can use the EP3 harness with modifications but it sounds like more trouble than it's worth)

I replace the a2 powersteering with the EP3 Idler pulley, and will need a 64" 7 rib belt, or just use the EP3 at the edge of spec.

My questions are:

Can I use the same ACT Flywheel that I had on the K20a3 on the a2?

Can I use the Intake Manifold, Coil Pack, Distributor, Exhaust Manifold, Exhaust system that I have on it, Alternator, and any other parts from the a3 that will not come with a a2 longblock?

I appreciate any help that can be offered, and I hope that this will assist anyone else looking to do this swap into an EP3. Please understand that I did a lot of research before this and simply did not come up with enough information to drop several thousand dollars into this. So please do not post things like "Just search around man the info is out there" cause I have.

Thank You
mooky_stank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
vietsol
Lifetime Member

Default Re: K20a2 swap into EP3

yes, you can use your existing flywheel on the A2. Intake manifold, coils, exhaust manifold and exhaust should bolt right up as well as all your accessories that didn't come with the A2.
vietsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #3
mooky_stank

Thank you for your input. One thing that I forgot to mention, is that I know that I will need to get new 310cc injectors to replace the 270cc's from the a3, will the fuel rail from the a3 still function with the larger injectors and work with the new engine? I am sorry if this is a stupid question, I just want to get everything right. And I am not very mechanically savvy.

Thank You

Old 02-20-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
15000rpms
K20a.org Advanced User

everything works. u need 310cc cuz the type s stock is 310cc. You can use ur ep3 harness. works fine. only need type s harness if doing 6 speed for reverse lockout.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:36 PM   #5
mooky_stank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15000rpms View Post
everything works. u need 310cc cuz the type s stock is 310cc. You can use ur ep3 harness. works fine. only need type s harness if doing 6 speed for reverse lockout.
Ok, I was not sure about the wiring harness, because a thread about the swap said something about there might be an issue with the tps and knock sensor, however the poster did not use the ep3 harness, and had only heard this from conjecture.

Do you know this from personal experience? I'm not doubting you, I just don't want to get into the swap and then realize that it won't work.

Thank You
Old 02-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
15000rpms
K20a.org Advanced User

when ephatch.com is back up, go to ephatch for all your ep3 needs. I strongly urge u to stay away from clubep3. Bunch of haters there. I remember the sensors just needed to be switch. I remember it was because the two looked alike. Something of that matter. Its been years, but since the ep3 came with the k-series engine, its all compatible except the clutch. Even the axles are compatible.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
torres21
K20a.org Basic User

The only difference is the knock sensor and the reverse lockout if you use the 6 speed! Other than that is a straight foward swap! Real easy! My ep3 was running the same day. Any questions let me know and there a lot of people in here that know way more!!!
torres21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
mooky_stank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15000rpms View Post
when ephatch.com is back up, go to ephatch for all your ep3 needs. I strongly urge u to stay away from clubep3. Bunch of haters there. I remember the sensors just needed to be switch. I remember it was because the two looked alike. Something of that matter. Its been years, but since the ep3 came with the k-series engine, its all compatible except the clutch. Even the axles are compatible.
So I would need to get the knock sensor and tps for the a2, but they would work with the a3 harness, correct?

Also, wouldn't the clutch compatibility rely on the transmission? I will be using the a3 transmission, so the clutch should still function with it, correct?

Last edited by mooky_stank; 02-20-2013 at 10:01 PM..
Old 02-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
15000rpms
K20a.org Advanced User

on the clutch, i actually meant to say that: unless you use the stupid oem ep3 clutch, then its fine. All(if not 99%) aftermarket clutches require the rsx type s clutch to mate with ur flywheel.

pretty much u just take out the a3 motor, put the a2 motor in, plug things in. burp the coolant. put in fluids(oil), load k-pro map. good to go.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:34 AM   #10
torres21
K20a.org Basic User

Tps from the ep3 k20a3 is the same as the k20a2 ! Clutch if you use the a3 flywheel you use the a3 clutch, or a2 flywheel then a2 clutch simple as that!
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
mooky_stank

Quote:
Originally Posted by torres21 View Post
Tps from the ep3 k20a3 is the same as the k20a2 ! Clutch if you use the a3 flywheel you use the a3 clutch, or a2 flywheel then a2 clutch simple as that!
Thank you both very much. And thanks torres for addressing the tps question. Did you have any issues with the knock sensor though?

Btw you jacksonville people stole our area code.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
vietsol
Lifetime Member

All knock sensor perform similarly. It's just a matter of matching the knock sensor that will plug into the harness in question. Thread that one in the block and you're set.
vietsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
torres21
K20a.org Basic User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooky_stank View Post
Thank you both very much. And thanks torres for addressing the tps question. Did you have any issues with the knock sensor though?

Btw you jacksonville people stole our area code.
I just installed the harness from an A2 because I did the whole swap! but like Vietsol said I don't think it really matter if you interchange them!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
torres21
K20a.org Basic User

You are right about that buddy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietsol View Post
All knock sensor perform similarly. It's just a matter of matching the knock sensor that will plug into the harness in question. Thread that one in the block and you're set.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:02 PM   #15
mooky_stank

Alright, thank you both very much. I just wanted to make sure, because that was one thing that I saw discussed an alternate thread concerning the a3 stock harness.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
mooky_stank

When purchasing gaskets, etc. for say the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, etc. Would I use the ones for the a2 or the ones for the a3, being that they will be the accessories I will be using.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #17
torres21
K20a.org Basic User

A2 and a3 intake manifold from ep3 are the exact same thing PRB manifold, exhaust I used a3 for like 2 months before I installed the race header!