Help! CRV transmissions problems lost!5 Speed manual! - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 09-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #1
phishinforfloyd

Location: Im from IL, but have lived in CO for the past 4 years.
Default Help! CRV transmissions problems lost!5 Speed manual!

Hey guys, i'm somewhat mechanically inclined, but i want see if anyone else has run into this issue. So the other day i was taking a trip down to Denver on the Highway. Cruising around 60-80, cursing along in 5th gear, i started going up a slight incline, i felt the car kinda of stutter not a gas issue but like the drive train is not running smooth? Not sure what that is, but then all of a sudden while still in fifth gear the car just dropped into a neutral position with the stick still in fifth. The drive train instantly looses all power, engine still on. So then i switched down to fourth and it worked for a few hundred feet and then same thing. It dropped out to a neutral state. So i pulled over and shut off the car and turned it back on... Then here's the odd thing, all gears worked fine again... So i merged back on the highway and kept going i kept it under 60mph and it was fine for a while until i got into town. Same thing happened the gears dropped, but this time instead of puling over i pushed in the clutch and was coasting, while coasting i shut the car off real fast and turned it back on and they were fine again now its just a rinse and repeat cycle. I read some forums and it was talking about solenoids and a small screen that gets clogged with metal shavings and that's why when i shut the car off the electricity is no longer polarizing the shavings making it able to get back into gear because the path of electricity is clear. But i thought manual transmissions were strictly mechanical? its an 02 CRV EX 178k miles. Any and all idea are welcome please and thank you!
phishinforfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2014, 12:00 AM   #2
vietsol
Lifetime Member

Default Re: Help! CRV transmissions problems lost!5 Speed manual!

The transmission will have nothing to do with the car stuttering. Especially since restarting the car makes issue go away temporarily. I would look into checking the TPS and map sensors as well as possibly o2 sensor. Have any check engine lights?
vietsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2014, 07:07 AM   #3
SKeet Shooter
K20a.org Basic User

This is strange. Need more info. What's a neutral feel? Like you can rev engine up while in a gear and rpm raises but mph stay the same or lower?

Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #4
phishinforfloyd

Location: Im from IL, but have lived in CO for the past 4 years.

so my Honda was in limp mode, due to a bad Vtech solenoid valve. The experience i was feeling was the car getting to 3k rpm and then shutting down. It seemed to me, a inexperienced car fanatic, to be the transmission but it was Limp mode. All caused by a bad solenoid. Bought the entire Valve replaced it and did an oil change and we are good to go no more problems!
phishinforfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message