What the best cam your buck?? - Page 5 - K20A.org .:. The K Series Source . Honda / Acura K20a k24a Engine Forum

Old 01-04-2007, 05:36 PM   #81
txtypes

Default Re: What the best cam your buck??

Quote:
Originally Posted by k20ahondas
PM me for prices. The reason of the price increase is not to keep IPS in business, but he has recently changed the material of the cam from Ductile to a 8620 billet core. This core actually stronger and more durable than most cams out there on the market.

weren't htey already superior closest to oem quality..i wondr what they cost now
txtypes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2007, 06:10 PM   #82
6spd_EK
Lifetime Member

Quote:
PM me for prices. The reason of the price increase is not to keep IPS in business, but he has recently changed the material of the cam from Ductile to a 8620 billet core. This core actually stronger and more durable than most cams out there on the market.
I stand corrected & edited post thanks for chiming in
Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 AM   #83
jon v
Lifetime Member

what a thread... My head hurts after reading all that...

wasn't there supposed to be some dyno graphs posted?
think about what you are saying here. educated people are saying that some portions of this safety device are in direct conflict with this little thing called physics and you are willing to ignore that simply because of the cage builders reputation? that sounds like religion to me. welcome to the church of fanboyology.
jon v is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2007, 08:52 AM   #84
H2nr
K20a.org Advanced User

Location: 2nrs of Springfield home of the fastest Hondas in the 417 area since 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos
I read this interview where he was complaining about the motor he got from skunk2. Not sure if he paid for it though because he mentions that they were asking for the money and blamed him for it... The way I see it, there is no warranty on a race motor so I do think that if you are naive enough to buy a used race motor, what you get is what you get...

http://urbanracer.com/articles/anmviewer.asp?a=2072

June 3
I tear the motor down and am amazed at the damage. Just about everything in the motor is damaged beyond repair. The only good parts I find are some sensors, the rocker arm assembly (which is not theirs since they sent the wrong one anyway), and camshafts which I don't even want. When I am tearing it down, I do find one thing that really bothers me; the motor was running aluminum rods. The motor was advertised as having steel rods, and I was told, when I asked for confirmation of this prior to agreeing to purchase it, that it was running steel rods. This is a big deal, aluminum rods stretch over time because aluminum is a soft metal. The longer you use them the longer they stretch when you are running the motor. I, personally, wouldn't use aluminum rods in any motor that I build and I would never have purchased this motor if I would have known it was using aluminum rods. Based on the damage in the motor it appears the piston made contact with the valves and those valves bouncing around in the motor caused the motor to eat itself up. After talking with some other engine builders, they too feel that the rods did stretch, causing the piston to hit the valves. What caused it to stretch is up for debate. One idea is that the piston hung up in a groove in the cylinder wall because it was run with low oil pressure for so long. Another theory is that the rods were past their life span and stretched under load, causing the pistons and valves to make contact. No matter the cause, everything in the motor is destroyed and I feel pretty misled and exhausted. I have now invested over 225 hours into the motor and have nothing but junk.

if your talking about Dye here, he said the same damn thing about Hytech
Old 01-05-2007, 08:55 AM   #85
H2nr
K20a.org Advanced User

Location: 2nrs of Springfield home of the fastest Hondas in the 417 area since 1997

Quote:
that good to hear, I love my billet Hytech cams
Old 01-05-2007, 01:06 PM   #86
txtypes

and i love my skunks, sad story nonetheless...
txtypes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 03:55 PM   #87
9bells
K20a.org Advanced User

It's a little off-topic, but he is so full of crap.
Aluminum rods are disliked not because they stretch, but exactly opposite because they dont stretch. They just fail after a large number of cycles without warning. Geez.
They are useful because they are light, and they absorb some of the shock of the combustion process.

I was not aware that Hytech cams were billet....
Their prices don't reflect it.
Old 01-05-2007, 04:15 PM   #88
gmsii
K20a.org Basic User

regarding the story in question. the purchaser of the engine knew exactly what was in the motor (its all in emails) so to say he didn't know the engine had aluminum rods is a lie. we helped him out because he needed an engine, and we gave him a discount, and we let him pay after receiving the engine. the purchaser tampered with various aspects of the engine, ran it on the dyno, and ran it on the track, then ran it on the dyno again and thats when the engine blew-up. and he refused to pay until he was made to pay. that is the story.

there is another engine exactly the same that runs just fine, but that probably because it is in the hands of more experience and knowledgeable tuners/mechanics.
gmsii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 05:21 PM   #89
Tainted

there is another engine exactly the same that runs just fine, but that probably because it is in the hands of more experience and knowledgeable tuners/mechanics.[/QUOTE]

Somehow I doubt that.
Tainted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #90
swaytec
K20a.org Basic User

sounds to me like an amateur got a professional drag motor and was clueless on the maintenance of it. Aluminum rods are great we use them in a lot of motors but our customers know and are aware of checking them re-torquing them etc.
swaytec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message