Honda / Acura K20a K24a Engine Forum banner

redGSRguy's 1998 Integra Type-R Diary

22K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  LotusElise 
#1 · (Edited)
Best pass 11.16@122
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1RyBw5grkZw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eJ05x8Ix69Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thought it would be fun to put off some work and create a thread for my Integra Type-R.

Will update it as the work day permits! After updating I realize I suck at documenting and keeping track of things.
More random part pics at http://instagram.com/redgsrguy

Huge fan of the JDM front end so when I needed a new car I picked this one up!

Came with the JDM 16s / Zeal Coilovers / Spoon Cams + Cam Gears

Spring on the clutch gave out in the first week so I replaced that along with the stock radiator.
Went with a Fluidyne / ACT clutch + FW also got a Mugen Intake / Samco Intake Arm / Hytech header / Carsound Cat / 2.5" SMSP exhaust kit

Threw it on the local Dyno. Car felt a lot slower since I came from a GSR w/ 4.785 FD and 200 whp /130 tq on the same dyno

Took the car to Thunderhill for a HPDE
https://youtu.be/5LEj9bWUaMY

Drove to LA for an Eibach meet

At the time I threw in a Double DIN head unit / CDT Components / JL 300/4 amp / JL 500/1 amp / JL 7" w7. Eventually took all of it out and sold it

Picked up some Kosei K1s but didn't like the silver and sold them. Briefly ran a VIS CF hood but it was not that much lighter than stock so sold the hood too.

Switched to a painted fiberglass hood that was much lighter. Also got some 16" mag blue CE28Ns

Tried some OEM wheels but didn't like how they sat so far into the wheel well.

Tried some Hyper Blue TE37SLs but didn't like the blue on white.

Ended up going with some Red TE37SLs for a while had to buy some stickers since red sticker on red rim is silly.

Threw in some JDM Recaros to match the wheels but they were not as comfortable as the stock seats for me.

Swapped on some Spoon Twin Block calipers to save some weight and for some bling

Picked up some speed bleeders

I eventually swapped in my old GSR motor with the same Mugen Intake / Hytech Header / 2.5" Exhaust. The setup was fun with the 4.785 gearing but after seeing everyone at the drag strip with a K, I started to piece together a motor.

The bushings on the Zeals gave out and I went with Koni Yellows / Ground Control / Skunkworks Springs

I wanted to get the car running first before upgrading. So pieced together a k20 motor
K20z3 block / k20z1 transmission / Quaife LSD / k20a2 head + Supertech Valve train / Blox Type C cams / ATI dampner / RRC manifold / Blox 70mm TB / Karcepts RRC Adapter plate / K-tuned V2 TPS / BWR swap Header

Took it out to the drag strip with the k20 and managed a 12.4 @ 100? WIll need to find the slip to confirm the mph.

Fly-by Video at the drag strip
https://youtu.be/LgEF_cdyM9A

Made it to the semi-finals and got stomped by a mid 11 second hatch but got to go home with a little bit of cash!

Took the car out to Thunderhill, it was ridiculously hot out there. Picked up a CF scoop to funnel air to the intake.

Vid of one of the sessions out at Thunderhill, the half sized radiator was causing some problems on the hot day.
https://youtu.be/J928E9p_-ik

Picked up a Js racing / First Molding hood to aid with some cooling since I was running a 1/2 size Koyo at the time(Don't recommend this for a tracked car!).

Got this JDM rear hatch for no rear windshield wiper hole but then realized it was too difficult to sell my stock hatch so sold this one.

Had all the parts for electric power steering to go in but after seeing how heavy it was I changed my mind and sold the setup

Did a rainy Thunderhill track even. Got these pics from the old BC Garage guys.

Eventually went bigger w/a k24/k20 setup
k24 block / k20a2 oil pump / 12.5:1 Supertech pistons / Drag Cartel 3.2

The differences between the two motors was night and day!

Picked up a First Molding Lip / Voltex Wing / Spoon Gen 3 mirrors to complete the Carbon Fiber ricer look. Also switched to some higher offset volks since I wanted the wheels to sit in more with wider tires.

Took it to the drag strip and managed a 11.6@116. Great pics by Joe Nguyen

Quick vid of one of the passes
https://youtu.be/eJ05x8Ix69Q

Laguna Prep, right before drilling some holes for hood pins

Went to some Laguna events with Internet Legend @coolhandluke

Some Video of Laguna Seca
https://youtu.be/rW_zw0PaF7M

Random Pics of Stuff I bought Kingpin Compliance Bearings / Moroso Oil Pan for the k20

Got new Intake setup and tried to do a comprehensive test but failed after realizing how much work it is to swap the spacer on the Skunk2 manifolds.

Swapped the Konis for MCS got a Carbing 3 pt in front and Mugen bar in the rear. P1 splitter for the track.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Stopped by the local event ATS Funny Night since my friend's shop in in the same plaza. Forgot who took this picture but I send them my thanks.

Thunderhill event with a retired World Challenge Race Car

Wishing I had a white Volk for a 'Murica picture

Super Artsy picture with all the blemishes removed from the car by Joe Nguyen!

Street tires at Laguna

Heard all the EVO guys use these for drag racing so I wanted to try it out too

Booty shot

Lip before I smashed it all over the roads.

Stopping by at Synergy Auto Works in San Jose to see what the guys were up too

Getting to the grid super late for the session with Nathan

Hanging out watching the Miami Heat lose in the finals...I think

#7 ·
Thanks! One day I will have to go back and clean up the wiring in the engine bay.

I have some canards, tires, s2 ultra 4 cams I need to put on again. Switching clutch cable to one with a 90 degree bend and waiting on a new intake filter to come in since I don't want to deal with cleaning the old one.

Also need to re-install my oil cooler once I find room for it.

I want to wash it but we have a drought in CA and I am lazy.

#15 ·
nice story man :new_slayer:
Thanks guys!

:like: Great ITR build thread here. Don't know how I missed the beginning but I won't now. Love how you switched thru wheel setups etc until you found what flowed well to you. Keep it up man. Great build.:up:
Yea I am finally settled with these +35 wheels, I wish they could be purchased new in orange still. Not a fan of painting/powdercoating but might need to change up the color on day!

Great build !
What size tires are those you are running ?
I have 225/45/15 Bridgestone Rivals on some of the pics and 225/50/15 Toyo R888s in some of the other ones(where it looks like a monster truck).

I am SO glad you finally started a thread somewhere. I lurk a lot on HT in the ITR and time attack sub forums and see you there. I love the JDM front, hood, and basically everything you've done to make it track ready. Please post up more pics and info when you can. The forums are not dead and are a great place to post up progress and builds.
I have been traveling since the beginning of August but will post some updates whenever I get a chance to work on the car!

#12 ·
:like: Great ITR build thread here. Don't know how I missed the beginning but I won't now. Love how you switched thru wheel setups etc until you found what flowed well to you. Keep it up man. Great build.:up:

#14 ·
I am SO glad you finally started a thread somewhere. I lurk a lot on HT in the ITR and time attack sub forums and see you there. I love the JDM front, hood, and basically everything you've done to make it track ready. Please post up more pics and info when you can. The forums are not dead and are a great place to post up progress and builds.

#18 ·
This it the only one I could find at the moment, tried to keep it simple inside.
Tried a few Recaros with the JDM armrest delete but the stock seats are most comfortable for me for driving around. Too bad they don't hold that great at the track.

Just a Personal Wheel / Mugen Pedals / Hybrid shifter / Spoon rear view and shift knob / JDM door panels and block off

#20 ·
No idea how i have not seen this on here!? But i love your car such a dope build i have been following you on IG for a while.

Did you notice a large difference when you changed to the spherical compliance bushings? Thats on my list of parts i want just trying to get some real feed back. How are they on the streets ?

#23 ·
I'm not the best at updating or doing anything to the car when it is cold. The spherical fronts helped stop a lot of the wiggle when I am hard on the brakes on the track. They are a great product but replacing 15 yr old OEM bushings was probably part of it. I haven't gone spherical in the rear because I heard they can make some noises but at least with the fronts there are no noise and work great on the street. I have all OEM bushings from Chase and the Kingpin front compliance.

Awesome looking build!!!! Let me get a set of those TE's!!!
I think ICB just did a few runs that will be coming in the next few months!

Sweet car. Never taken the car to THill but have tracked my Duc out there. Sonoma is next and maybe Laguna if its for a special occasion. The list of goodies on this ITR is outrageous, must be nice!! Glad to see its being put to the test :)
Only been to Sonoma in my GSR and but has some issues with the car so never got up to speed around the concrete wall! Let me know when your next event is and I'll try to make it out after I pay some bills...

#29 ·
Been waiting on some parts but finally almost ready for the bigger motor to go in.

Just need the headgasket and will be good to go. Also need to pick up an OEM TPS. The K-tuned Billet one did not last too many miles.

Got the head back with Portflow w/some Supertech goodies

Swooped on friend's spare block w/Wiseco pistons + Eagle rods

Also couldn't resist picking up some shiny Tractuff stuff. My K-tuned one broke 2x on the other motor so I will try this one on the new one.

#30 · (Edited)
I decided to put the stereo back in instead of working on anything else. Now both car and stereo are pretty loud.

Picked up:
Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS
JL Audio XD500/3v2
JL Audio C2-650x
JL Audio 12w6v2

@mmarsey got the harness ready for me and I ran some new speaker wire and now the car is ~100 pounds heavier haha. The sub doesn't sit level in the trunk so will try and swap it out next weekend.

#33 ·
Been super busy with work for a lot of the year and haven't had too much time to work on the car.

Eibach Honda Meet - Lake Elisinore
05/15/16
Went down to the Eibach meet with @mmarsey. Almost fell asleep driving back!
Picture from 6two1

Parked for the night while we went out or some Korean BBQ!

Raceworz 3 - Sacramento
08/06/16
Had the K20 in the car and brought it out to Sacramento Raceway. Came home with a new PB (12.4@109) on the small motor and a 2nd place finish in Pro All Motor.

Eibach - Corona
09/10/16
Made it down to Eibach for a summer meet since I was down in the LA area.

Great shot from Copaze

CMI Fall Fling - Sacramento
10/01/16
Found some time to finish up the k24/k20 motor with some new pistons, Skunk2 Ultra 4s and threw on a Skunk2 Ultra Manifold w/2L spacer. With the help of my buddy Lawrence we put in a 5-point cage that is removable. Safety first!
Finished the day before did a quick partial throttle tune on the dyno and decided to finish the tune at the track. The k20 swap header seems to be the bottleneck at the moment.
Also swapped to a Tractuff blockoff since I had some bad experiences with the Ktuned.

Had to run the car in the turbo class since there is no all motor class. They did say it will be coming back next year!

Managed a new best of 11.16@122 and took home another 2nd place trophy! Hopefully will have some time to get a new header and get back out there.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1RyBw5grkZw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.